Contribute
Register

Small size build with Thin Mini-ITX Asus H81T mainboard (very simple installation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS H310T R2
CPU
i5-9500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
TOP_FRONT_RIGHT.jpg

Parts List / Components:

Asus H81T R2 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3MX9649
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Motherboards-H81T-R2-0-CSM/dp/B015AD2BXK/

Intel® Core™ i3-4340
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116944
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUUPKB0

DNK-H | Thin Mini-ITX PC Case
http://luna-design.org

Already owned:

• 2x4Gb SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600MHz (Gloway)
  • SSD 128Gb mSATA 520/320Mb/sec SATA3 (Ramus)
  • SSHD 2.5' 500Gb SATA3 (Seagate)
  • WI-FI 300Mb b/g/n Broadcom (BCM94322HM8L)
Install Notes / Guide

Pre install
Press F2 during computer starts to apply Asus UEFI BIOS settings ajustments:

• Reset BIOS to defaults
  • Advanced / System Agent Configuration / Graphics Configuration / IGD Flat Panel - Disable
  • Monitor / CPU Fan Control / CPU Fan profile - Manual / CPU Apper Temp - 75 / CPU Fan Max Duty Cycle% - 60
  • Boot / Secure Boot Menu / OS Type - Other OS
  • Boot / Wait For "F1" If Error - Disable (optional)
  • Ai Tweaker / CPU Core Voltage / Offset Mode - / 0.08 (optional - for quiet system operation)
  • Advanced / Onboard Devices Configuration / Serial Port Configuration - Disable (optional - remove serial port from Network devices in MAC OS)
Installation

Follow the install guide here as a complete general walk through on installing El Capitan.

• Intel HD4600 IGP (DVI, HDMI), USB 2.0, 3.0, WI-FI (supports AirDrop Wake on LAN), SATA - works out of the box.
  • Audio Realtek ALC887, 1Gb Ethernet Realtek PCIe drivers, UEFI Boot, Mac Mini 6.2 definition (optional) - comes with MultiBeast.
UEFI Boot Mode:

MULTIBEAST_UEFI.png

Realtek ALC887 audio driver:

MULTIBEAST_AUDIO.png

Realtek Gb LAN driver:

MULTIBEAST_LAN.png

Mac Mini 6.2 Server definition:

MULTIBEAST_MACMINI.png

No other manual System Files Modifications needed

ABOUT-EN.gif

Performance Notes

• System Idle CPU Package Temp - 37C
  • Handbrake HD Video Encoding CPU Package Temp - 74C
  • Prime95 full load CPU Package Temp - 89C
  • mSATA SSD temp during all test - 26-31C
TEMPERATURES_EN.jpg

Geekbench 3 64Bit Resalts:

GEEKBENCH.jpg

Final Thoughts

This build is a beauty. I am extremely pleased on how it turned out and the level of OSX compatibility. I aimed to build a small form-factor yet budget friendly build in a beautiful package. I believe I have succeeded in doing so! This machine will primarily be used for post processing of photos, graphic design as well as any regular daily usage. Please leave any questions or comments below!

Build Photos

TOP_BACK.jpg

ASUS_H81T_IN_CASE.jpg

TOP_FRONT.jpg

Additional adjustments

1. Third part SSD Drive Trim enable:

• Start terminal. Applications / Utilities
  • Copy and paste this command: sudo trimforce enable
  • Enter Administrative password
  • Enter "y" (two times)
  • Wait for reboot

Can't believe this hasn't been replied to yet! This build is really something else. Such a beautiful, beautiful case. Finally a solution that is both beautiful, functional, and aims to capture that Mac Mini engineering.
And seems that everything is working super smooth, rare to see a Thin Mini ITX build around here. What about Messages/FaceTime, any problems there? iCloud working without a hitch?

I see Cyrillic on your screens, is Luna Design your company? If so, congratulations on the design, if the Broadcom chip were any newer, something with BT4.0, I'd seriously consider ordering one.

Once again, great build. Cheers!

Thank you!
Yes. iCloud synchronisation and iMessage working good, but i don't try FaceTime, because have no cam in my hands. I don't find compatible WI-FI / Bluetooth adapter, which works out of the box (maybe i have no so much experience on it), but other adapters need system files modifications. And the goal of the mission is - setup out of the box : )

LOVE this build.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a slightly newer Asus MoBo that has HDMI 2.0 and could accomplish similar results?

My goal for it is a thin Retina 24" all in one machine to browse the web & for just general use, etc.

I think it should be added to the Buyer's Guide.

A little caution should be taken here.

I purchased one of these systems and installed an i3-4360 and was un-happy with the thermal performance and the noise levels.

After exhausting every trick that I know to get the thermals down, I turned down the system and restored the parts (CPU, memory and drives) to the system that I borrowed from (the LOL).

Other then running hot, my complaint was the noise that the fan makes when running under full load.

Good modding,
neil

Yes, Neil. I remember your situation.
And we had work out how to solve this problem. Right now we provide a resistor with Fan and adjust BIOS settings for a quiet system work. All this problems have been solved now. And system works like on screen shots. Thank you very much for cooperation!

Hi,

This does indeed look like a very attractive build.

I have actually just ordered a DNK-H | Thin Mini-ITX PC C from a seller on eBay, but having read your last message I wondered if the resistor you mention has been added recently, or is this something which would have to be done by the end user... I do hope not!

Perhaps you could advise me of the current situation here please?

Many Thanks!

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back