Contribute
Register

Small size build with Thin Mini-ITX Asus H81T mainboard (very simple installation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my DNK-H 2015 case, and put my system together (Asus H110T, i3 6100, 8Gb RAM, 90GB SSD). When I plugged the power in for the first time, the system booted but the fan didn't work all together.

I go to the UEFI setup page, after accepting the CPU fan error, and it just says there is no CPU fan plugged in.

I can see an extension plugged-in the fan cables, with what seems is a resistor. If I take it out, and plug the fan directly to the motherboard, it recognises the fan and it starts working.

I haven't started to install my CustomMac / hackintosh until I understand why this is happening. Is this the correct way to work? Or, even with the resistor on, the fan should rotate when the system starts?

Hope to ear from you soon.

Best regards
Seems like resitor problems. Check the wires, please. They must be blue, yellow, red, black colors from both sides of the cable. If not, try to rearange them by right way.

Resistor.jpg

Seems like resitor problems. Check the wires, please. They must be blue, yellow, red, black colors from both sides of the cable. If not, try to rearange them by right way.

Resistor.jpg

That was exactly the problem, thanks. On the left side of the cable (as on the picture), the yellow and red wires were swapped.

I put them on the right place and everything is working. Thanks for your prompted reply.

Thanks to all involved--this is an awesome little system :thumbup:; easy setup, and great compatibility...I was able to use this guide to install a 4590 I5 with a slim HSF, and used an external 230W power supply for HP laptop/dock, so I can use this as a hi-power unit video editor, or whatever, whenever I need to ( native board support for the 85W TDP processor ). Mostly will be using as everyday unit, on lo-power use ;)

Most of my hassle in this build was not build-related, exactly--I was trying to get Asus to cough up the specs and details for a good power supply. I ended up relying upon 'hearsay', because those morons couldn't find their own engineer specs.. :(
what I used:
mobo =Asus H81T R 2.0
i5 4590 3.3Ghz 6mb
128G BP4 mSATA 128Gb OS drive
16G Crucial DDR3-DDR3L 1600 Mhz
HP Smart 230W AC Adapter PN: AT895AA#ABA (Tip: 7. x 5mm)

First few startups and light use showed ~85W total use by watt-meter , including ~22" Dell monitor!
The Display and Computer each use ~40W each, in use...

Might send some more details after I get it into a case--probably will be installing in a drawer under my main display..

Anyways, kudos & thanks to you guys (esp woodoodm!) :clap:

Hi warmgeoff, thanks for this great info - I picked up one of these motherboards (the R2.0) secondhand as part of a bundle deal and am now a bit puzzled what best to do with it! I've read elsewhere of people using 90W (19V 4.74A) laptop PSU's - the universal kind with multiple tip connectors, because the ASUS manual and site give absolutely no information about the actual size of the "Intel DC connector" . . . I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 7. x 5mm? 5mm is presumably the outer diameter, so is it 7mm long? I suppose I could have a go at measuring the hole myself - but not sure how accurate that would be!!

Also, though you got a 230W PSU you also say you're only using about 40W with your i5 4590 - I assume I'd use a lot less with only 4GB of RAM and an i3 4160 which is only 54W TDP. I'd be happier with around 120W for greater margin of error, but maybe 90W would be enough? Thoughts? Anyone?

If anyone else (just in case warmgeoff isn't still monitoring this thread) can suggest a reliable external PSU for this board I'd appreciate it!

Hi There,

I'm very much interested in building my first hackintosh with the DNK-H using the Asus H110T and an intel i5 7400 or 7500.

- Are the Bios-settings used in this thread still valid?
- How is the support for the Intel HD Graphics 630?
- Is it possible to get 1440p output in Macos from HDMI to HDMI or from DP to the HDMI of my monitor?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi There,

I'm very much interested in building my first hackintosh with the DNK-H using the Asus H110T and an intel i5 7400 or 7500.

- Are the Bios-settings used in this thread still valid?
- How is the support for the Intel HD Graphics 630?
- Is it possible to get 1440p output in Macos from HDMI to HDMI or from DP to the HDMI of my monitor?

Thanks in advance!

HD Graphics 630 with latest version of MAC OS works out of the box
BIOS settings for Asus H110T: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/miniitx-h110-mainboards.191077/#post-1275379

Hi warmgeoff, thanks for this great info - I picked up one of these motherboards (the R2.0) secondhand as part of a bundle deal and am now a bit puzzled what best to do with it! I've read elsewhere of people using 90W (19V 4.74A) laptop PSU's - the universal kind with multiple tip connectors, because the ASUS manual and site give absolutely no information about the actual size of the "Intel DC connector" . . . I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 7. x 5mm? 5mm is presumably the outer diameter, so is it 7mm long? I suppose I could have a go at measuring the hole myself - but not sure how accurate that would be!!

Also, though you got a 230W PSU you also say you're only using about 40W with your i5 4590 - I assume I'd use a lot less with only 4GB of RAM and an i3 4160 which is only 54W TDP. I'd be happier with around 120W for greater margin of error, but maybe 90W would be enough? Thoughts? Anyone?

If anyone else (just in case warmgeoff isn't still monitoring this thread) can suggest a reliable external PSU for this board I'd appreciate it!
Awediohead--As I recall the measurements are outside/inside diameters (there are different sizes, I presume), and the 'HP' compatible types all seemed to work; I actually ordered several different ones 90/120 & the beasty one.

Sorry for non-response--haven't been on here for a while. I think with your proposed (lo-power) setup, a 90W is pretty marginal--don't do it. However, 120 should be adequate; the price differential between 90-120W is negligible, and 120 would allow for more margin and the possibility of using upgrades in future.

. Since it is external, there is not an issue with heat, per se, but it seems that a higher watt unit would not be putting off as much if it is rated for higher wattage than you will be actually pulling, yet the internals will be thicker gauge or more sturdy, as a whole, have more resilience or heat tolerance and hence last longer.

Although I originally intended this unit to reside in a LG AIO 'kit' , mine is now in a 'drawer' computer setup, and I have a lot of externals & internals plus fans and USBs constantly hooked to it, and I have not throttled it whatsoever, so I have the capacity to have it ramp up and use more watts, as needed. OK; the 230 might be like hitting flies with a hammer, but it wasn't that much more $$ than the lo-watters...

Frankly, I think that I rarely even evoke an increased cpu fan speed--can't remember even hearing it (lol). However, I use it pretty much 24/7 and do video renders, and typically 5-6 apps open at once. I always have the option to ramp up my cpu and case fans and use the full power of the I5 without ever worrying about heat or power with my 230W. (I have no idea where my other PSs went, but this 230 is HP branded OEM unit--a BIG 'brick'). In sum, I would personally recommend you use a good-branded unit with proven use/reliability, exceeding nominal ratings for any perceived upgrades or use. Hope that helps ;)

Awediohead--As I recall the measurements are outside/inside diameters (there are different sizes, I presume), and the 'HP' compatible types all seemed to work; I actually ordered several different ones 90/120 & the beasty one.

Sorry for non-response--haven't been on here for a while. I think with your proposed (lo-power) setup, a 90W is pretty marginal--don't do it. However, 120 should be adequate; the price differential between 90-120W is negligible, and 120 would allow for more margin and the possibility of using upgrades in future.

. Since it is external, there is not an issue with heat, per se, but it seems that a higher watt unit would not be putting off as much if it is rated for higher wattage than you will be actually pulling, yet the internals will be thicker gauge or more sturdy, as a whole, have more resilience or heat tolerance and hence last longer.

Although I originally intended this unit to reside in a LG AIO 'kit' , mine is now in a 'drawer' computer setup, and I have a lot of externals & internals plus fans and USBs constantly hooked to it, and I have not throttled it whatsoever, so I have the capacity to have it ramp up and use more watts, as needed. OK; the 230 might be like hitting flies with a hammer, but it wasn't that much more $$ than the lo-watters...

Frankly, I think that I rarely even evoke an increased cpu fan speed--can't remember even hearing it (lol). However, I use it pretty much 24/7 and do video renders, and typically 5-6 apps open at once. I always have the option to ramp up my cpu and case fans and use the full power of the I5 without ever worrying about heat or power with my 230W. (I have no idea where my other PSs went, but this 230 is HP branded OEM unit--a BIG 'brick'). In sum, I would personally recommend you use a good-branded unit with proven use/reliability, exceeding nominal ratings for any perceived upgrades or use. Hope that helps ;)
Hi warmgeoff - many thanks for the detailed reply. Just now my H81T mobo is also in a drawer but not for the same reason LOL - I managed to fix the bent pins on another secondhand board - an H87N-wifi - and as it suited the project better I used that instead.
As I will get around to using this board at some point in the near future your info will be very helpful - greatly appreciated :)

Does anyone know if it easy to fit one of the new ASUS Prime H310T into the DNK-H 2015 case? I want to update my 2016 i3-6100 system with an 8th generation Intel CPU but stick with this case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back