CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mutatio In the PCIe x4 slot it shows up as internal (grey).
I'm having issues with my efforts to get my Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus fully working as it should on the Z77X-UD5H board and i3770K CPU I picked up. Have you had any issues with formatting your NVMe drive or getting MultiBeast to install properly? I'm finding that the latest MultiBeast won't install Clover to the drive's EFI partition. It says installation failed. I did a workaround of doing a direct non-MultiBeast Clover install, but even that gives me errors and I have to force the install, and still the resulting EFI folder is incomplete. I had to copy over my EFI file from a working drive, but then even with the NVMe drive set to boot in BIOS, Clover won't auto select the NVMe drive to boot. I have to manually select the NVMe drive in the boot menu to get it to load.

I'm also having issues with sleep. If I boot to NVMe, no sleep. If I boot to a USB install of Mojave, it will sleep with the NVMe drive installed. Any thoughts?

Also, @Stork , thoughts, given your efforts to get an NVMe drive working on your UP5 TH board?

Last edited:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mutatio, I had to use a modified BIOS before my Thunderball system would recognize the NVMe drive. See my Build here for more information:

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mutatio
Sorry to hear of your woes

I did not do a direct install to the NVMe. I always have a dual boot back-up in my system. I had a working 10.14.6 system on a SSD (& HDD back up) and cloned the SSD to the NVMe using Carbon Copy Cloner. I also have Clover set to pause for 2 seconds when the drives appear, just so that I can manually select an alternate Boot drive during start up.

After testing the booting from the NVMe, I set clover configurator to boot directly from it, thinking I shall keep my old SSD boot as a back up, just in case.

Do you have an 970 Evo “plus” ? there are reports of them needing FW updates to be stable, so I’d start with that issue & test the @&*t out of it before making your boot drive.

It does sound like you’ve got a stability issue somewhere.

More info by searching Tonymac. Some here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/samsung-970-evo-m-2-nvme-ssd.252571/page-13

NB: From the start on 10.8 this build did not have stable sleep & since it’s my work computer I don't sleep it. I work it, then shut it down. I had 10.12 on it and didn’t check if sleep worked & have not checked in 10.14 either.

My understanding was that sleep was not guaranteed on the Hackintosh.

Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mutatio
Sorry to hear of your woes

I did not do a direct install to the NVMe. I always have a dual boot back-up in my system. I had a working 10.14.6 system on a SSD (& HDD back up) and cloned the SSD to the NVMe using Carbon Copy Cloner. I also have Clover set to pause for 2 seconds when the drives appear, just so that I can manually select an alternate Boot drive during start up.

After testing the booting from the NVMe, I set clover configurator to boot directly from it, thinking I shall keep my old SSD boot as a back up, just in case.

Do you have an 970 Evo “plus” ? there are reports of them needing FW updates to be stable, so I’d start with that issue & test the @&*t out of it before making your boot drive.

It does sound like you’ve got a stability issue somewhere.

More info by searching Tonymac. Some here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/samsung-970-evo-m-2-nvme-ssd.252571/page-13

NB: From the start on 10.8 this build did not have stable sleep & since it’s my work computer I don't sleep it. I work it, then shut it down. I had 10.12 on it and didn’t check if sleep worked & have not checked in 10.14 either.

My understanding was that sleep was not guaranteed on the Hackintosh.
I think I got it figured out. Depending on whether you boot into Mojave or Catalina, MultiBeast (Mojave version) might have issues with completing the install. In Mojave, with the new tweaks to the file system for Catalina, two drives appear for a given SSD with Catalina installed. e.g., MacSSD and MacSSD - Data. If you're doing kext installs, you have to do those to the "Data" drive. If you need to install or update the Clover EFI partition, you have to select the default drive. I found that if you try and run a MultiBeast install in Mojave with the Catalina Data drive selected as a destination and with kext and EFI installation options selected, it will fail when it tries to complete the EFI portion of the install. Similarly, if you try and just do a MultiBeast installation involving the EFI with the Data drive is selected as a destination, it will fail to install. :banghead:

I think my issues might have been compounded by a glitchy backup drive. I had cloned my main desktop when I was running Mojave. After upgrading the main desktop to Catalina, I effectively "upgraded" the backup drive to Catalina using Carbon Copy Cloner, which updates files but didn't fully re-clone the master. While the backup shows Catalina as the OS, I'm seeing the "double drives" on the desktop. In short, because of the new funky file systems being used in Catalina, I had thought perhaps the failure to complete the MultiBeast install was due to some compatibility issues with the NVMe drive.

Looking back at your original post, what is your current USB 3.0 solution? I found my sleep issues were due to selecting the Generic USB 3.0 kext in multibeast. The system would sleep in Mojave, but when waking an inserted USB drive, it would be improperly ejected. In Catalina, the system wouldn't sleep at all with that USB kext installed. Switching to the 7/8/9 USB 3.0 solution, while removing the Generic kext, gave me proper sleep and wake without any USB drives being ejected. Crossing fingers, but I'm excited for my little mini upgrade, done primarily to get functioning USB 3.0 and boosted by the NVMe drive. (Okay, I might've splurged for a smaller PSU that gives me more room in the case and jumped up to 32GB of RAM from 16GB as well , but the NVMe drive and PSU are longer term components that should transcend this chipset in terms of future utility). My old 7-port USB 3.0 hub is alive again after Apple shat the bed on continued USB 3.0 support with the Z68 chipsets. It's alive, it's alive! :clap::headbang:

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mutatio I did not do a proper USB 3.0 port mapping in Hackentool, because it seemed quiet complicated. Well, I did do it but I am sure I did it wrong! However, the ports seems to work well enough to transfer foes at the proper speeds, since my editing drives are all internal and work just fine, I have not been in a rush to muck with it. I think there is a new tutorial out and I will try again soon.

Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi @mutatio, @Gigamaxx

A new proper X4 adapter card has delivered all the speed that I wanted!
Same slot as above: PCIe x4
Same stock firmware as above: F16j
Same NVMe as above: Intel 660 NVMe 1TB
-Along the way I added a $8 heatsink sandwich from Amazon. This took the boot temp from peaks at 70 degrees Celsius to a max of 35 degrees! I think this is a must for longevity!

Benchmarks below.
Read ~1551 MB/s
Write: ~1710 MB/s

My RX580 did not suffer any performance loss due to it's slot now running at x8. Details above in my screenshots.

It boots quickly and feels snappy. Incredible for an 8 year old box! I recently edited a 4 camera video, each camera shot at 4k (but with proper small proxies) in Premiere Pro 2018 and it went well. The Rx580 (and now NVMe!) have breathed new life into the machine!

No BIOS modding needed! Whew!

Card bought here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VYWR91T/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
@Cfreak Yeah, a bunch of PCIe 8x vs. 16x reviews over the years have yielded pretty similar results at both the 2.0 and 3.0 standards. The effects are pretty minimal on GPU performance, likely unnoticeable in personal use while potentially being ~1% off in a given benchmark.

The only glitch I'm seeing now that I've gotten everything up and running is a kernel panic and reboot that I get when trying to launch a Parallels Windows virtual machine off of an NTFS drive. The report gave me items associated with both Parallels and the Paragon NTFS kexts. Copied the VM over to an APFS drive and it booted fine. With the 2TB NVMe drive, I've been meaning to reshuffle my drives and make my 512GB Samsung 840 Pro drive the new VM launch drive and to retire the 256GB Samsung 830 as a utility/troubleshooting USB drive.

In any case, here are my numbers with the 2TB 970 EVO Plus. :cool: :eek: :headbang: :D

BlackMagicNVMe.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mutatio Wow those speeds are fantastic. What did you have to do to get the 2TB 970 EVO Plus to work? You didn't mention it. Did you have to upgrade the Firmware on your 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe ?

Also now that you have a working Z77 system, it would be helpful to others if you'd add it to your signature!

Last edited:
Motherboard
iBook
CPU
Intel> Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
Hi everybody! Been a long time. Finally upgraded to Mojave from Sierra. Well sort of, I'm still testing if I like the OS. So far, not so much. I decided on Mojave because Catalina is moving to 64-bit, and I don't really want to give up or upgrade any of my applications. One big problem for me is no NVIDIA drivers. I don't know if it will effect video and photo editing I have yet to install those apps.

Another problem is the slow startup. My Sierra startup disk takes a few seconds to get past the Gigabyte screen, 2 seconds for the Clover, and then about 20 seconds for Apple load screen. Mojave from Gigabyte to Apple load screen is about 4 times slower. Here is where the trouble starts. I did a quick search on speeding up the startup and came up with CSM Support: Disable in the BIOS, which kind of worked. Startup was just a black screen to the Apple load screen then to desktop. I could not get back into the BIOS (Delete) or choose startup device (F12) during startup. The only way I could get back to the BIOS was to reset the CMOS. I powered down, unplugged, then pressed the CMOS_SW button on the MB; something I had to do alot when I first built the computer.

Followed the instructions on how to set the BIOS on page 1. Restart. Yay, I got the BIOS back. Boo, the Mojave startup disk now shows up as 3 options in BIOS and in clover. Clover Start Legacy at Legacy HD3, Clover Start bootmgfw.efi at EFI, and Clover start boot.efi at (my HD). "diskutil list" and Clover Configurator did not list those.

On speeding up the startup, seems like Clover>boot>debug had to be unchecked, and it did speed up the startup. Seems a second or two slower though.

I've been going between Sierra and Mojave for a few days. Productivity stuff on Sierra and casual stuff like YouTube on Mojave, everything seemed fine. Then I noticed images being blocky/pixelated specially when image searching on Mojave. I pass my mouse over an image, and it seems to pixelate where the mouse moves over. Youtube videos are not affected. I don't know if its a graphics card issue or Mojave or something i did when resetting CMOS.

I'll update after install a hot swap bay. I plan to dual boot Windows 10 just for gaming. I want to be able to remove my macOS HDs while using Windows.