Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Successful booting off NVMe, but, not at the proper speeds.

Since I'm on the last official BIOS, and my upgrade to 10.14.6 last Oct. has been rock solid with the RX580, and I read the Official Gigabyte Z77-UD5h F16j BIOS should support booting off NVMe in 10.14, I tried it with a 1 TB Intel 660 NVMe on a cheap blade from Aliexpress. It worked, but, not at the speeds I was expecting.

I tried in the PCIe X1 slots, and got results slower than a Sata SSD since those slots are running in PCIe 2.0.

I then tried in the PCIe X8 slot and got better results, but, read up on the slot's bandwidth sharing and ultimately tried the PCIe X4 slot at the very bottom. My RX580's is in the X16 slot and it's Geekbench score has not been impacted by adding the NVMe drive into the X4 slot (same speed in as in the X8 slot) and the drive is seen as internal and is BOOTABLE. -This is what I am very happy to report!

However, system reports:

Link Width x1 (shouldn't it be x4?)
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
~729 MB/s Write and ~762 MB/s Read.

My question is... what do I need to do to get it to run at full speed?

Please let me know if anyone knows.... Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Successful booting off NVMe, but, not at the proper speeds.

Since I'm on the latest official BIOS, and my upgrade to 10.14.6 last Oct. has been rock solid with the RX580, and I read the Official Gigabyte Z77-UD5h F16j BIOS should support booting off NVMe in 10.14, I tried it with a 1 TB Intel 660 NVMe on a cheap blade from Aliexpress. It worked, but, not at the speeds I was expecting.

I tried in the PCIe X1 slots, and got results slower than a Sata SSD since those slots are running in PCIe 2.0.

I then tried in the PCIe X8 slot and got better results, but, read up on the slot's bandwidth sharing and ultimately tried the PCIe X4 slot at the very bottom. My RX580's is in the X16 slot and it's Geekbench score has not been impacted by adding the NVMe drive into the X4 slot (same speed in as in the X8 slot) and the drive is seen as internal and is BOOTABLE. -This is what I am very happy to report!

However, system reports:

Link Width x1 (shouldn't it be x4?)
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s
~729 MB/s Write and ~762 MB/s Read.

My question is... what do I need to do to get it to run at full speed?

Please let me know if anyone knows.... Thanks!
What are the listed read/write speeds for the drive?

I tested a Samsung 970 EVO on my Haswell Z97 setup; it has a first gen M.2 slot but it’s only rated at 10gb/sec.
On my Z170 board M.2 is rated at 32hb/sec.
I used the PCI adapter like you and got about 1200 read on my Haswell. Try it in the x8 slot to see if it gets more speed. If so going down to X8 for the 580 may be worth it depending on what you use it for.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
What are the listed read/write speeds for the drive?
According to the intel page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...60p-series/660p-series-1-tb-m-2-80mm-3d2.html

Advertised Speeds Seq. Read upto* 1800 MB/s and Seq. upto* Write 1800 MB/s

ao at ~729 MB/sec I am only getting ~40% of the top speed. I think the Link Width I reported above maybe the clue... I tried the NVMe on a blade adapter it in every PCIe slot. The PCIe X8 slot and the X4 slot had the same results I posted above. Maybe @Stork would have some advice based on his own Z77 build?

In your case, do some benchmarks on your RX580 in the X16 slot before and after adding the NVMe. On my system, the NVMe did not reduce the performance of the RX580, even though the slot is slowed to x8 speed when there is another device (on my mobo) in a PCIe 3.0 slot.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
According to the intel page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...60p-series/660p-series-1-tb-m-2-80mm-3d2.html

Advertised Speeds Seq. Read upto* 1800 MB/s and Seq. upto* Write 1800 MB/s

ao at ~729 MB/sec I am only getting ~40% of the top speed. I think the Link Width I reported above maybe the clue... I tried the NVMe on a blade adapter it in every PCIe slot. The PCIe X8 slot and the X4 slot had the same results I posted above. Maybe @Stork would have some advice based on his own Z77 build?

In your case, do some benchmarks on your RX580 in the X16 slot before and after adding the NVMe. On my system, the NVMe did not reduce the performance of the RX580, even though the slot is slowed to x8 speed when there is another device (on my mobo) in a PCIe 3.0 slot.
Does your BIOS have any NVMe options. I know some older models are able to update BIOS to include support for using an adapter.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Does your BIOS have any NVMe options. I know some older models are able to update BIOS to include support for using an adapter.
Thanks for the thought. The support is there in the last BIOS released for the board, in that I can boot off it. But, there are no settings regarding the NVMe capability. I did find a setting to force PCIe to Gen 3.0. But it was already running in Gen 3, and the change made no difference. The link width is still reported as x1 and my speeds are ca. 730-760 MB/s.

It got me thinking about other items in the BIOS to tweak or if a SSDT tweak is needed...? Hopefully someone knows and will chime in....?

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Last edited:
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
After a bit of reading it seems even people with Z97 board have the same speed limitation: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-high-sierra-build-config-insight.255040/#post-1768662

But I just noticed, the cheap PCIe adapters I bought off AliExpress are only PCIe x1. I didn't know better at the time. So it's a limitation of the cheap adapter :-o

Will have to try an x4 adapter soon...
Please do, and let us know what you find. I've finally opted to do a small bump in my legacy system, moving from Z68 to a Z77 board and chip as I'm just tired of not having USB 3.0 since forever (exaggerating). I upgraded my brother's Z77 system recently and the use of USB 3.0 got me itching for the improvement. It's a primary reason I don't backup my system more regularly, and the faster USB connection also helps with troubleshooting other systems and doing installs on separate drives. I can't tell you how often I've wanted to clone someone's drive that I'm helping with tech support, only to have to contort my systems to be able to do so.

Besides the USB 3.0, the system is otherwise fine for my daily work needs, which is all office-based stuff, nothing fancy. Beyond the USB 3.0, the prospects of getting an NVMe drive booting helped seal the deal with the minor upgrade. Now I'm worried about not getting that up and running in a satisfactory way.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please do, and let us know what you find.
Hi @mutatio, @Gigamaxx

A new proper X4 adapter card has delivered all the speed that I wanted!
Same slot as above: PCIe x4
Same stock firmware as above: F16j
Same NVMe as above: Intel 660 NVMe 1TB
-Along the way I added a $8 heatsink sandwich from Amazon. This took the boot temp from peaks at 70 degrees Celsius to a max of 35 degrees! I think this is a must for longevity!

Benchmarks below.
Read ~1551 MB/s
Write: ~1710 MB/s

My RX580 did not suffer any performance loss due to it's slot now running at x8. Details above in my screenshots.

It boots quickly and feels snappy. Incredible for an 7 year old box! I recently edited a 4 camera video, each camera shot at 4k (but with proper small proxies) in Premiere Pro 2018 and it went well. The Rx580 (and now NVMe!) have breathed new life into the machine!

No BIOS modding needed! Whew!

Card bought here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VYWR91T/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi @mutatio, @Gigamaxx

A new proper X4 adapter card has delivered all the speed that I wanted!
Same slot as above: PCIe x4
Same stock firmware as above: F16j
Same NVMe as above: Intel 660 NVMe 1TB
-Along the way I added a $8 heatsink sandwich from Amazon. This took the boot temp from peaks at 70 degrees Celsius to a max of 35 degrees! I think this is a must for longevity!

Benchmarks below.
Read ~1551 MB/s
Write: ~1710 MB/s

My RX580 did not suffer any performance loss due to it's slot now running at x8. Details above in my screenshots.

It boots quickly and feels snappy. Incredible for an 8 year old box! I recently edited a 4 camera video, each camera shot at 4k (but with proper small proxies) in Premiere Pro 2018 and it went well. The Rx580 (and now NVMe!) have breathed new life into the machine!

No BIOS modding needed! Whew!

Card bought here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VYWR91T/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Great to hear! Remind me, is it showing up as an orange external drive in the desktop?