RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I ended up posting in this thread:

I haven't been able to get past the black Apple screen with the 580 yet...
I followed post #1 of Stork's UP5-TH mobo thread where, Stork goes through everything you need to do on your UP5-TH board. I set mine up (UD5H board), like his, using the onboard graphics HD4000 to start. Once all was working, I followed his post #1109 in that thread that takes you to his My Hero II build link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-z370-hero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/#580 for instructions to add the RX580. It's not headless mode but it works in my single monitor set up. He states that the HD4000 was never that stable for him in headless mode. I found something similar in 10.12.6 with a GTX 1050 Ti once I engaged headless mode: Graphics processing issues in Adobe Premiere!

Honestly, @hendersonphoto you are extremely lucky there are complete instructions for your Mobo available with 10.14 nicely documented by @Stork . If it's not working and you didn't start with his instructions, and if you are currently stuck, maybe starting over with his instructions would be the best thing at this point? It may take you 2-3 hours to do, but, it's better than losing another day!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
I followed post #1 of Stork's UP5-TH mobo thread where, Stork goes through everything you need to do on your UP5-TH board. I set mine up (UD5H board), like his, using the onboard graphics HD4000 to start. Once all was working, I followed his post #1109 in that thread that takes you to his My Hero II build link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-z370-hero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/#580 for instructions to add the RX580. It's not headless mode but it works in my single monitor set up. He states that the HD4000 was never that stable for him in headless mode. I found something similar in 10.12.6 with a GTX 1050ti once I engaged headless mode: Graphics processing issues in Adobe Premiere!

Honestly, @hendersonphoto you are extremely lucky there are complete instructions for your Mobo available with 10.14 nicely documented by @Stork . If it's not working and you didn't start with his instructions, and if you are currently stuck, maybe starting over with his instructions would be the best thing at this point? It may take you 2-3 hours too do, but, better than losing another day!
I am pretty sure I followed all that to a T. The only thing I can think of is when I initially set everything up it wasn’t through HD4000. It was through the GTX 660 Ti.

I will start over again though and see where it takes me. It seems no matter what I do, I cannot get past the black Apple screen without it going completely black.

At what point did you plug in the RX 580? You didn’t get the black screen at all?

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
At what point did you plug in the RX 580? You didn’t get the black screen at all?
"I followed his post #1109 in that thread that takes you to his My Hero II build link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-z370-hero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/#580 for instructions to add the RX580. It's not headless mode but it works in my single monitor set up."

The Saphire Pulse RX580 is the most compatible there is OOB. No, I did not get a black screen EXCEPT: There is a switch on the back of it for "Gaming" or "Compute" It came switched to "Gaming". So I thought I'd see what happens when switched to "compute" and that was the only time I think I got a black screen. If you do things one set at a time, it becomes clear what doesn't work. I backed up to CCC after every successful step and I go slooooow!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
"I followed his post #1109 in that thread that takes you to his My Hero II build link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-z370-hero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/#580 for instructions to add the RX580. It's not headless mode but it works in my single monitor set up."

The Saphire Pulse RX580 is the most compatible there is OOB. No, I did not get a black screen EXCEPT: There is a switch on the back of it for "Gaming" or "Compute" It came switched to "Gaming". So I thought I'd see what happens when switched to "compute" and that was the only time I think I got a black screen. If you do things one set at a time, it becomes clear what doesn't work. I backed up to CCC after every successful step and I go slooooow!
What cable are you using to connect to the RX580?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
So I got everything working. Then I got cocky and tried plugging in both monitors (30 inch Apple Cinema & Dell 24 inch), and I am back to the Black Apple screen going completely black at startup. Ordered two DP connectors based on a suggestion in another thread. I'll see if that does the trick.

But, as you see under DCPI, the RX 580 wasn't showing up but it shows up under About This Mac. Not sure what that means.

Attachments

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
But, as you see under DCPI, the RX 580 wasn't showing up but it shows up under About This Mac. Not sure what that means.
I am not sure either, except that this fairly old piece of software (DCPI v1.5 and DCPI v1.8) can't report it on either our hardware or our hardware & 10.14.6. I posted about it here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-114#post-2013202. and if you scroll down a few posts, I posted that Hackentool v2.8 can report it properly, under INFO>MISC .

I used @Stork's method to add the RX580 from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-z370-hero-x-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580.245074/#580

and got it to change from "Radeon" to "Orinoco"
See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-114#post-2020215 for the results and @parkingmo reported it solved his problem too.

-I am happy to bring the links into this thread, as there are still a few of using using this build and it's been rock solid for me too. But, since @Stork does such a great job (thank you Stork!), we all end up on his Z77-UP5-TH thread, asking about our issues :-o

On a side note about your RX580 black screens, I have often read about the HDMI connection having issues over the years, so my 1st choice is always DVD-D, 2nd choice Display Port. YMMV, but, it sounds like you are on the right path now!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
I am not sure either, except that this fairy old piece of software (DCPI v1.5 and DCPI v1.8) can't report it on either our hardware or our hardware & 10.14.6. I posted about it here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-114#post-2013202

and if you scroll down a few posts, I posted that Hackentool v2.8 can report it properly, under INFO>MISC . I used @Stork's method from here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-114#post-2020215

and got it to change from "Radeon" to "Orinoco"

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-114#post-2020215 for the results and @parkingmo reported it solved his problem too.

-I am happy to bring the links in this thread, as there are still a few of using using this build and it's been rock solid for me too. But, since @Stork does such a great job (thank you Stork!), we all end up on his Z77-UP5-TH thread, asking about our issues :-o

On a side note about your RX580 black screens, I have often read about the HDMI connection having issues over the years, so my 1st choice is always DVD-D, 2nd choice Display Port. YMMV, but, it sounds like you are on the right path now!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

See attachment...

Is there anything else I need to do at this point?

EDIT:

I may have inadvertently figured out the Apple Black Screen as well.

I have 2 hard drives connected via PCI SATA III Controller. When it is plugged in is when I get the Apple Black Screen startup to full black screen. When I unplug it and start up, the computer loads fine. Right now I am okay without the drives plugged in but would love to get back to 6 internal drives.

What could be causing this issue?

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

See attachment...

Is there anything else I need to do at this point?
You are very welcome. I know I tore my hair out trying to find a way to change/confirm the Orinoco framebuffer of my RX580 a few weeks back. I can't believe I have actually helped some (2) peeps on here, I am always the one needing help, lol.

Your screenshot for the RX580 looks perfect, just like mine.
I am in the process of loading software and have a backlog of work to get done. I did a render the other day in Premiere and it went as smooth as butter in Adobe Premiere, exporting within Premiere. Next I'll test in Media Encoder. Today or tomorrow I'll take the rig to it's permanent location where I have my 2 monitor set up and will see what gremlins (if any) come up.

Anything else? I noticed this morning that VideoProc is reporting that there is no acceleration with the RX580 currently (see screenshot). In researching GPUs months ago, I recall there is something that can be done about this and I'll be looking into it probably next week, due to my overloaded schedule this week. Maybe you are going to solve it before I do?
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 1.06.18 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core I7-3770K 3.5Ghz Box Socket 1155
Graphics
GigaByte GV-N670OC-2GD - Tarjeta gráfica, 2 GB, PCI Express 3.0, 6008 MHz
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Images of the first post are offline. Someone with a copy of the post in PDF? Thanks