Register

Slugnet's Video Editor - GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770k, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Graphics
GTX-960
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I got a lead on this set up from a friend that has this mobo + CPU + 32gb ram. I have a GTX 960 and thought about combining all of this to make my first Hackintosh. I was curious about one very important thing to me. How can we add Thunderbolt to this type of system? If it isn't possible, am I looking at Z170 & Z270 boards since they have Thunderbolt built in to nearly every board?

Thanks! And great write up.

Motherboard
iBook
CPU
1.2 GHz
Graphics
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
This build has been great for me. I built it way back in 2013 and its still going strong. The only difference from the original build is the case, power supply, and a DVD-RW instead of a BluRay.

I was running Mountain Lion for the longest time. I finally upgrade to El Capitan when it was announced. I tried updating to Sierra a few months ago but the App Store said that Sierra could not be installed on my computer. I figured that my computer was old, and I let it go.

I found an earlier post stating that Sierra was running fine on this system. I did a search and found out that all I had to do was change change my SMBIOS to iMac14,2.

I'm currently testing Sierra on another SSD and slowly migrating my apps and docs.

I used the MultiBeast setup from Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K. The BIOS settings haven’t changed much from when I set it up in 2013, with the only change being the startup disk.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook
@gene.76.2
I have a Sierra still with 13.2 and same SSDT for power management since I build it in 2013.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Slugnet hasn't been around since May 10, 2016. So, FYI.

I got a lead on this set up from a friend that has this mobo + CPU + 32gb ram. I have a GTX 960 and thought about combining all of this to make my first Hackintosh. I was curious about one very important thing to me. How can we add Thunderbolt to this type of system? If it isn't possible, am I looking at Z170 & Z270 boards since they have Thunderbolt built in to nearly every board?

Thanks! And great write up.
This motherboard does not support Thunderbolt. (Thunderbolt 1 introduced on 7 series motherboards.) You'll need a Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard to get builtin Thunderbolt support, like my Thunderball build.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 7970
Since there are a few of us on here recently,...

I'm still running El Cap since forever but now would like to get onboard with Sierra for FCP 10.4 was released. Obviously only High Sierra is available at the Apple App Store now. I've read that HS and this board do not mix.

I do have a Sierra installer on a backup drive but after moving it back to the my computer's Apps folder, the installer is broken, which I have read about. I seem to remember terminal commands to make it work but cannot find those anywhere.

Any TMac forum-legal suggestions for finding a Sierra installer to create a USB at this point? I've asked among all local friends and no-one has a Sierra installer handy in their Apps folder.

Motherboard
MBP
CPU
2.4ghz
Graphics
na
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have been running this computer since November 2012, and it has been absolutely amazing for me. In early 2017, I updated to Sierra 10.12.5 with no issue.

The computer is a bit laggy at times, and I am pretty sure it is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2047 MB GPU.

Does anyone have recommendations for a more powerful GPU that won't cause issues?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel 3770k
Graphics
Asus gtx680 dc2o
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
I have been running this computer since November 2012, and it has been absolutely amazing for me. In early 2017, I updated to Sierra 10.12.5 with no issue.

The computer is a bit laggy at times, and I am pretty sure it is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2047 MB GPU.

Does anyone have recommendations for a more powerful GPU that won't cause issues?
Also for me... switched to RX580...

Motherboard
MBP
CPU
2.4ghz
Graphics
na
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Also for me... switched to RX580...
What brand RX580 did you buy? Did you have to change any settings or is it plug and play?

Are you running Sierra or have you updated the software further? If you have updated, what are you running and what guide did you follow? Any info is helpful.

Last edited: