Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Slugnet hasn't been around since May 10, 2016. So, FYI.

I got a lead on this set up from a friend that has this mobo + CPU + 32gb ram. I have a GTX 960 and thought about combining all of this to make my first Hackintosh. I was curious about one very important thing to me. How can we add Thunderbolt to this type of system? If it isn't possible, am I looking at Z170 & Z270 boards since they have Thunderbolt built in to nearly every board?

Thanks! And great write up.
This motherboard does not support Thunderbolt. (Thunderbolt 1 introduced on 7 series motherboards.) You'll need a Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard to get builtin Thunderbolt support, like my Thunderball build.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 7970
Since there are a few of us on here recently,...

I'm still running El Cap since forever but now would like to get onboard with Sierra for FCP 10.4 was released. Obviously only High Sierra is available at the Apple App Store now. I've read that HS and this board do not mix.

I do have a Sierra installer on a backup drive but after moving it back to the my computer's Apps folder, the installer is broken, which I have read about. I seem to remember terminal commands to make it work but cannot find those anywhere.

Any TMac forum-legal suggestions for finding a Sierra installer to create a USB at this point? I've asked among all local friends and no-one has a Sierra installer handy in their Apps folder.

Motherboard
MBP
CPU
2.4ghz
Graphics
na
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have been running this computer since November 2012, and it has been absolutely amazing for me. In early 2017, I updated to Sierra 10.12.5 with no issue.

The computer is a bit laggy at times, and I am pretty sure it is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2047 MB GPU.

Does anyone have recommendations for a more powerful GPU that won't cause issues?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel 3770k
Graphics
Asus gtx680 dc2o
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
I have been running this computer since November 2012, and it has been absolutely amazing for me. In early 2017, I updated to Sierra 10.12.5 with no issue.

The computer is a bit laggy at times, and I am pretty sure it is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2047 MB GPU.

Does anyone have recommendations for a more powerful GPU that won't cause issues?
Also for me... switched to RX580...

Motherboard
MBP
CPU
2.4ghz
Graphics
na
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Also for me... switched to RX580...
What brand RX580 did you buy? Did you have to change any settings or is it plug and play?

Are you running Sierra or have you updated the software further? If you have updated, what are you running and what guide did you follow? Any info is helpful.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
I'd also like to get a GPU for this system - any recs?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
Update El Cap to Mojave questions! Should I wipe my OS SSD and do a clean install? Do I need to update Clover/boot stuff? Thanks!