CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
2x GTX 980 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks! I really appreciate your response. Great suggestion picking up another SSD and working from there.

Since I haven't used Unibeast/Multibeast in a few years, allow me to be a little ignorant. Did you follow the current installation guide? Were there any changes other than installing the NVIVIA web driver for your 980Tis?
Yes, I followed the guide on this page here.

I installed CUDA 8 for Cinema 4D. But the 980Tis work without that. I just noticed that the front panel USB ports are also not working. Will need to do some tweaking...

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H 10.13.6
CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
2x GTX 980 Ti
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Front USBs work now after installing the driver in Multibeast

Motherboard
MBP
CPU
2.4ghz
Graphics
na
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Yes, I followed the guide on this page here.

I installed CUDA 8 for Cinema 4D. But the 980Tis work without that. I just noticed that the front panel USB ports are also not working. Will need to do some tweaking...
Thanks! Do you think the 650ti graphics card is worth updating? I spend 90% of my time using Adobe Lightroom while running an older 30 inch Apple monitor and a 27 inch Dell. The newer versions of Lightroom allow you to use the graphics card to accelerate the speed of the program. I looked into the 980Tis but I can't justify the cost. Something like a 750TI with 4gb ram is more within budget, unless you have another recommendation. I would like to have the computer apart once and work out any bugs over the next month before work gets crazy again.

Motherboard
GA Z77X UD5H
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Other
Thanks! I really appreciate your response. Great suggestion picking up another SSD and working from there.

Since I haven't used Unibeast/Multibeast in a few years, allow me to be a little ignorant. Did you follow the current installation guide? Were there any changes other than installing the NVIVIA web driver for your 980Tis?
Same mobo here. And as someone who's constantly upgrading his system, I can assure you there's nothing to fear. Multibeast has had slightly change its UI but it is pretty much the same. I keep a narrowed list of this setup for future references, and I've used it when we couldn't upgrade directly using clover.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
I was in the same situation and after a power outage had corrupted by BIOS I went from 10.10.5 to 10.12.3 last weekend.
I put in a single fresh SSD, all other drives disconnected, loaded optimized defaults in the BIOS, and went straight from there with a Unibeast/Multibeast install. Had to install NVIDIA web driver for the 980Tis after that.

Imported my user data from the old startup disk via Migration Assistant and that's it. Everything works except wake from sleep. Even Audio and Messages.
When you did a fresh install,, Did you have to update the BIOS at all? I have this same build that has always worked. Im on 10.10.5, but want to update to at least El Cap. Can I just start fresh and install on new SSD without updating any BIOS Settings?

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H 10.13.6
CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
2x GTX 980 Ti
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
When you did a fresh install,, Did you have to update the BIOS at all? I have this same build that has always worked. Im on 10.10.5, but want to update to at least El Cap. Can I just start fresh and install on new SSD without updating any BIOS Settings?
My MB came with BIOS version F14. I don't have any issues that I would blame on the BIOS and therefore I never updated it (I think F16 is current).
I have to say though that I tweaked the BIOS in the past, mainly to overclock RAM and CPU. That was before I switched to a GPU render engine. When I tried an El Cap Clover install a while ago with my old BIOS settings the install failed. I never bothered figuring out why... I just left it there.
For Sierra I loaded the 'optimized defaults' simply because I didn't want to deal with BIOS tweaking anymore and no longer rely on the extra speed from overclocked RAM and CPU.
If you are on 10.10.5 like I was, you probably boot in legacy mode and not UEFI. That's an option you have to decide upon during the install.
Other than that: Just pop in a new SSD, disconnect power to all other drives and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Motherboard
MBP
CPU
2.4ghz
Graphics
na
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I did the update yesterday. Everything ran smoothly and seems to be working perfectly. Thanks to everyone for their wisdom!

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7- 3770k
Graphics
EVGA GT650
I can't believe that 5 years has gone by since my copy of this build, which has been pretty solid under Mountain Lion. But the time has come to upgrade the GPU.

Since this is a dual/triple boot set up, I have been doing some light gaming and heavy flight sim (prepar3d and Xplane 11) on the windows 250 GB EVO PRO SSD and considering a GTX 1080 TI GPU so I can drive a 2k/4k monitor set up.

My plan is to do a clean install on a new SSD of Sierra so I can use the Navida 10 series drivers. anyone see any issues or have been at this step before? I will be using the steps off the main site

After getting it running, I would use the migration assistant to move files etc over.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Last edited:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
waytooslow, you have an incorrect link in your post above.

I updated my Z77X-UD5H TH "Thunderball" system to Sierra w/o any problems. I'm also now using a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD on a PCIe adapter card. Really fast loading macOS and apps, now.

Note: when using Migration Assistance, do not check the Other Files box. "Bad stuff" gets transferred over. :thumbup:

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7- 3770k
Graphics
EVGA GT650
waytooslow, you have an incorrect link in your post above.

I updated my Z77X-UD5H TH "Thunderball" system to Sierra w/o any problems. I'm also now using a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD on a PCIe adapter card. Really fast loading macOS and apps, now.

Note: when using Migration Assistance, do not check the Other Files box. "Bad stuff" gets transferred over. :thumbup:
Thanks I corrected