Windows 7 64
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
[Success]: Slugnet's Video Editor - GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770k, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti

+1 slugnet. TRIM is not necessary with the latest Sandforce 2280 controllers (IIRC). My OCZ and SanDisk Extreme SSDs don't need TRIM.

bbwheeler,
I recommend you check out the reviews for any SSD you purchase to see if you need TRIM, even if you don't purchase a current generation non Sandforce controller SSD.
thanks for the response. i have the sandisk extreme 120, which it looks like carries the sandforce 2281 controller. one last question about this, and i'll leave you in peace. under "about this mac > sata", it is showing "unknown ahci standard controller." should i be seeing a "sandforce 2281 controller" here? thanks again, i appreciate your responses...

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Core i7-3770k
Graphics
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
[Success]: Slugnet's Video Editor - GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770k, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti

as far as the 660 Ti goes, you suggest to load the CUDA drivers from nvidia. while this card is not listed as a supported product in the link you provided, is it your experience that it will work? i noticed you did a similar thing in multi-beast -- i.e. loaded the 6XX graphics drivers despite the fact the card is not listed explicitly as an option. is this the same idea with the CUDA driver?
Pretty much. Adobe products have native support for certain cards, however you can force them to use other cards if you have CUDA installed.

How to Enable CUDA in Adobe CS6

There are text files that control which cards the program sees. For all of these, right click on the application and choose Show Package Contents, then navigate and make the following changes:

For After Effects CS6: Contents > raytracer_supported_cards.txt
Add this line to raytracer_supported_cards.txt and save:
GeForce GTX 660 Ti

For After Premiere CS6: Contents > cuda_supported_cards.txt
Add this line to cuda_supported_cards.txt and save:
GeForce GTX 660 Ti

You could additionally add the same line to the opencl_supported_cards.txt file as well, which would give you the option of accelerating with CUDA or OpenCL, but I think CUDA is the better option here.

I've attached some screenshots to show how my txt files look, and to show GPU acceleration at work in AE and Premiere.

Oh, and as a note, Photoshop uses OpenCL instead of CUDA, so as long as OpenCL is working on your computer, you should have acceleration in Photoshop. You can test OpenCL with Luxmark, available here: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark

My raytracer_supported_cards.txt file, After Effects, and Premiere

Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 10.07.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 10.04.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 10.19.31 PM.png

EDIT: pookiegus21 was kind enough to post a link to a great video guide on how to do this. It uses a slightly different set of steps than I outlined above, but it will work great, and the visual might help you more. It also includes a step to identify which card you have installed, which I did not include in my guide. Here is the video:

[video=vimeo;43420088]http://vimeo.com/43420088[/video]

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Core i7-3770k
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

thanks for the response. i have the sandisk extreme 120, which it looks like carries the sandforce 2281 controller. one last question about this, and i'll leave you in peace. under "about this mac > sata", it is showing "unknown ahci standard controller." should i be seeing a "sandforce 2281 controller" here? thanks again, i appreciate your responses...
I think the controller is actually which SATA port you are plugged into on the motherboard. So in this case, OSX can correctly identify the Marvell SATA controller that is on board, but it does not recognize the specifics of the other controller and so is using a different generic definition for it. This doesn't reflect on your disk at all that I know of. Perhaps someone who understands the motherboard architecture better could comment on if this affects performance in any way, but I don't think that it should. Here is a screenshot of my SATA panel:

Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 10.43.44 PM.jpg

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Core i7-3770k
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

Congrats on your build. It seems very close to what I'm looking for in mine. :thumbup:

Have you tried Davinci Resolve with it? What kind of performance do you get out of it? Is the card well recognized by the software?
Just installed and tested, it seems to recognize the card just fine in the preferences, and my quick test grade seemed pretty flawless. It does give me an error on launch that says my system isn't configured for maximum performance, but that is pretty clear when you read the install guide. My drives are not configured to handle full performance speed. But, I get no CUDA errors, so I think it is working.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770k@4.5GHz
Graphics
MSI GTX 670 SLI
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android

Thanks for posting the guide will be a great reference.

Motherboard
hackPRO - GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
GA HD 7970 OC x2
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

Hi Slugnet,

I'm a total noob to the hackintosh comunity but I am currently gathering parts for my first build. I originally had settled on the evga gtx 660ti but after scouring these forums I became frightened to use this graphics card because of all the trouble people were having with it and FCPX. This is the primary focus for my build to replace my iMac i7 2.8 27" 2009 model. So I decided to shell out the extra $100 for the gtx 670 but have not purchased it yet. The other difference to your build is that I will be using the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH (which I have purchased). So the question that I HAVE to know the answer to is, will the gtx 660ti work flawlessly with my mobo, FCP X, and DaVinci Resolve? It would be nice to put the money saved from the gtx 670 toward something else.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Core i7-3770k
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

Hi Slugnet,

I'm a total noob to the hackintosh comunity but I am currently gathering parts for my first build. I originally had settled on the evga gtx 660ti but after scouring these forums I became frightened to use this graphics card because of all the trouble people were having with it and FCPX. This is the primary focus for my build to replace my iMac i7 2.8 27" 2009 model. So I decided to shell out the extra $100 for the gtx 670 but have not purchased it yet. The other difference to your build is that I will be using the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH (which I have purchased). So the question that I HAVE to know the answer to is, will the gtx 660ti work flawlessly with my mobo, FCP X, and DaVinci Resolve? It would be nice to put the money saved from the gtx 670 toward something else.
I do not believe there is a single person who can answer that any particular piece of hardware will work flawlessly. Every build is different, even when using the same parts. There are people on this forum, for instance, who have the same MB but can't get audio to work correctly on it, whereas mine has worked flawlessly. There are lots of people having issues with FCPX and the 660 ti, while mine is working great.

Based on my experience, I'd say you can get everything working. I did. But, I don't know how much banging against your system that will require. To minimize that, get parts that have longer support and experience . . . the 660ti has only been available for a short time, so people are still figuring it out. The 670 has been around longer, and has a more established route that more people have gone down and posted their experience with. It will be safer, but more expensive. You've introduced elements into your build that will not create the same experience as my build, so I can't comment on how the card will work for you. How much are you willing to work for that $100? My advice if you go with the 660ti is to order through Amazon, which has a great return policy. Don't order from a reseller, make sure it is actually Amazon selling you the product . . . if it doesn't work for you, you have 30 days to return it.

Here is the most important thing I can tell you, having built a couple of systems and using them in my day to day editing job: if you need flawless, then don't hackintosh. Even a system that is working great can screw up at the worst possible moment. I kept my iMac around just in case of failure, and it has bailed me out during a couple of time critical projects where I did dumb things that completely borked my hack. Now that I have two hackintosh machines, I feel comfortable letting it go, as they are both set up for professional work.

So, don't know if that answered your question, but I hope it helped!

Motherboard
Mac OS X
CPU
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android

Hello Slugnet!

I have the same build than you, only differs on the graphics which is an EVGA GTX670 2gb and the hard disk which is a Seagate 2TB SATA.

I've installed Mountain Lion on a 1tb partition and have two more partitions, one for mac and the other one will be for windows.

Anyway, I had it all working, did some geekbench and got scores a bit inferior to yours, but still really close... However I was still unable to boot without the unibeast pen. If I took it off and boot from my P0 drive, which is where Mountain Lion was installed, it always gave me boot0: error...
I've tried solution one from the boot0 guide but still I wasn't unable to solve it. Is this because the 2TB disk?

Then I've searched a bit more here on the forum and read something about selecting Chimera from the Multibeast package as well - but I got too excited and also chose FakeSMC and some plugins. After Multibeast installation my keyboard and mouse stopped working and when I rebooted I always get kernel panic and wasn't able to get into the OS...

Now I've reinstalled everyth and I'm at the point where I should run multibeast again for the first time... But I've found that the front USB panel is working before running Multibeast!!!

I want to ask you about the front USB panel and about the boot without unibeast pen question (I always have to press f12 and choose the pen because in the bios (last version) i can't put it on first boot preferences)
Do you think there's something on multibeast that maybe is making front usb panel to stop working?

Thanks!

Nej

Motherboard
Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Clover
CPU
i7-8850H/C240
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1050 Ti - 3840x2160
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android

Just installed and tested, it seems to recognize the card just fine in the preferences, and my quick test grade seemed pretty flawless. It does give me an error on launch that says my system isn't configured for maximum performance, but that is pretty clear when you read the install guide. My drives are not configured to handle full performance speed. But, I get no CUDA errors, so I think it is working.
Thank you for your feedback!

I ordered the parts a couple days ago, I went with the EVGA 660Ti Super Clocked 3Gb, I hope I won't regret that choice...

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

Apple's OS X support graphics cards are the Reference Design of the nVidia and AMD/ATI graphics cards (if they support a particular series). The tonymacx86 Buyers Guide for 2012 (see link in my sig blk) recommends this EVGA 660TI for better compatibility:

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2048MB GDDR5 DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-3660-KR)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S15X3W/

Off Reference Design cards can have more problems achieving stability.