Contribute
Register

Sluggish boot and glitchy after startup (NVMe related)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
CPU
i9-13900KF
Graphics
RX 6600
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am running into issues with a really slow boot on my Hack. Everything has been working fine up till about a week ago and now the boot up takes about 4 minutes and after the boot things are quite glitchy and the OS often locks up.
Is there anything I can do to run some kind of test to make sure all my kexts etc are setup correctly and I have everything in it's correct place??

Everything has been working fine up till about a week ago and now the boot up takes about 4 minutes and after the boot things are quite glitchy and the OS often locks up.
Are you using a Samsung NVMe SSD as your boot drive ?

is there a problem with those drives??
Yes, very slow boot times when used as a macOS boot/system drive. Common problem most Samsung NVME users experience. It does not affect Samsung Sata based SSDs.

I do have a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB as my boot drive.
What could possibly be wrong with that?
Prior to macOS Monterey, Samsung drives worked seemingly without issue. We don't know what changed in macOS 12 but we do know that Samsung's proprietary NVMe SSD controllers (Phoenix, Pablo, Elpis) do not work well with macOS Monterey or Ventura. It doesn't look like a firmware fix from Samsung is going to be released. They still work well with the NTFS file system but not APFS. They have no incentive to fix this just for Mac users.

Use of their NVMe drives, as a macOS boot drive, will potentially lead to ultra long macOS boot times. Some have reported six to seven minutes.

1669893247146-png.559053

Last edited:
well thats annoying! hahaha. I bought two of these to use
One as my system drive and one as my render drive as I am a video editor.

So what would you suggest I do to avoid the issue? Buy another brand of NVME drive???

Western Digital SN570 or SN770 drives are good for running macOS.

The Asus X99-A board has a single m.2 Socket 3 connector, which has 4 x PCIe lanes that run at the 3.0 standard. Any PCIe adapter card will also be limited to this speed. Even if you use one of the PCIe x16 slots.

So buying the more expensive SN850 would not provide the benefits of the faster drive.

The SN770, while also faster might saturate the 4 x PCIe lanes and provide the full 3500/3000mb read/write speeds. It will never provide the 5000mb+ speeds that are advertised as your MB would need to provide the 4.0 PCIe standard for that to happen.

The Samsung drives work just fine in Windows or Linux, they just don't play nice with macOS and APFS.

Western Digital SN570 or SN770 drives are good for running macOS.

The Asus X99-A board has a single m.2 Socket 3 connector, which has 4 x PCIe lanes that run at the 3.0 standard. Any PCIe adapter card will also be limited to this speed. Even if you use one of the PCIe x16 slots.

So buying the more expensive SN850 would not provide the benefits of the faster drive.

The SN770, while also faster might saturate the 4 x PCIe lanes and provide the full 3500/3000mb read/write speeds. It will never provide the 5000mb+ speeds that are advertised as your MB would need to provide the 4.0 PCIe standard for that to happen.

The Samsung drives work just fine in Windows or Linux, they just don't play nice with macOS and APFS.
sorry i need to update my bio as have new hackintosh with different mobo. my new one is Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 mobo so does that make any difference?

Last edited:
Yeah that would be helpful.

The WD SN850 would be the ideal choice for the Z790 motherboard’s M.2 sockets, as the support PCIe 4.0 speeds.

Back