Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Slow Writing Speed On System SSD (Even After Enabling Trimming)

Hello.
I have 2 equal hard drives.
OCX Vertex 3 formatted both in Mac OS X Journaled and both linked with sata 3 connections (one for the system and one for the computer/programs cache).
I get the same read speed on both drives but strangely enough i get 350 mb in writing on the empty one and exactly a half on the system one.
I don't know why the system one has a writing speed equal to a standard (and slower) 7200rpm mechanical SSD...
I thought the drive was broken (very unlikely) but as i said the reading speed is very good (just like the other one).
Any idea? Any driver missing?
I built this computer for performance, i don't want it to be castrated without any reason.
Thanks a lot.

I have enabled trimming but the speeds are the same.
I have also updated the SSD Firmware
Sata mode is set to AHCI

Drive One (System):

DiskSpeedTest.png

Drive Two (Cache):

DiskSpeedTest 2.png

Hello.
I have 2 equal hard drives.
OCX Vertex 3 formatted both in Mac OS X Journaled and both linked with sata 3 connections (one for the system and one for the computer/programs cache).
I get the same read speed on both drives but strangely enough i get 350 mb in writing on the empty one and exactly a half on the system one.
I don't know why the system one has a writing speed equal to a standard (and slower) 7200rpm mechanical SSD...
I thought the drive was broken (very unlikely) but as i said the reading speed is very good (just like the other one).
Any idea? Any driver missing?
I built this computer for performance, i don't want it to be castrated without any reason.
Thanks a lot.

I have enabled trimming but the speeds are the same.
I have also updated the SSD Firmware
Sata mode is set to AHCI

Drive One (System):

View attachment 126535

Drive Two (Cache):

View attachment 126534

Try running a disk repair / repair permissions on both drives (you may have to boot into recovery mode) from Disk Utility. I had an M.2 SSD that was running at 10R and 50W (very very slow in SSD terms), so I tried repairing it and it turned out that the SSD had an incorrect partition map, and that fixed it and it went up to like 300MBPS R/W...

Try running a disk repair / repair permissions on both drives (you may have to boot into recovery mode) from Disk Utility. I had an M.2 SSD that was running at 10R and 50W (very very slow in SSD terms), so I tried repairing it and it turned out that the SSD had an incorrect partition map, and that fixed it and it went up to like 300MBPS R/W...

Thanks for the answer.
Verified disk permissions for the slow drive (still not repaired).
Here what comes up:

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 04.14.52.png

Should i repair the permissions? And do i risk losing files/corrupting installation?

Note i didn't click "verify Disk" (on the right). Only "Verify Disk Permissions" (On the left).

Thanks for the answer.
Verified disk permissions for the slow drive (still not repaired).
Here what comes up:

View attachment 126624

Should i repair the permissions? And do i risk losing files/corrupting installation?

Note i didn't click "verify Disk" (on the right). Only "Verify Disk Permissions" (On the left).

Verifying / Repairing disk permissions shouldn't compromise your files, it only checks which users (you, System, etc.), can read and write every file on the computer. Sometimes the permissions are off and the system hangs attempting to read the files, thus slower speeds.

Verifying and repairing the disk, though, is where you may lose your files if your disk is slow / not working, since it checks to make sure the disk is fine: the partition map is correct, everything is what it should be.

TL;DR: You can repair permissions and verify disk. If something comes up on verifying disk then you should boot into your recovery partition and repair it ASAP.

Cheers!

Verifying / Repairing disk permissions shouldn't compromise your files, it only checks which users (you, System, etc.), can read and write every file on the computer. Sometimes the permissions are off and the system hangs attempting to read the files, thus slower speeds.

Verifying and repairing the disk, though, is where you may lose your files if your disk is slow / not working, since it checks to make sure the disk is fine: the partition map is correct, everything is what it should be.

TL;DR: You can repair permissions and verify disk. If something comes up on verifying disk then you should boot into your recovery partition and repair it ASAP.

Cheers!

I have almost the same problem, both Writing and Reading speeds are not greater than 260 MB/s . I tried what you said. Seems Verify Disk appears to be okay.
Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 11.58.52.png

So ... what's next ? Why so slow ?

Still couldn't find a solution to fix this... On windows this ssd had pretty good speeds around 490 Writing and 495 reading. On mac seems is half of its speed.

When I've installed Yosemite I've selected GUID Partition Table instead of Master Boot Record, it's that the problem ?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 15.03.19.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 15.03.19.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 137
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back