i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, Ive just got my first Hackintosh up and running very nicely. Thanks to all on this forum, staff and mods.

I just have one issue that seems very unusual.

I have access to to 2 different wifi routers.
One downloads at an average speed around 1.5MB/s (sometimes get higher).

The other is only downloading at about 50KB/s I've just done a speed test on my phone in the same area and its testing at 27MB/s. This connection is much faster and is my preferred connection. Ive tried searching the forums no similar issues.

Using a TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter with 3 Antennas

Any help or thoughts appreciated

attached screen shot of installed kexts maybe I have too many? Also my clover config

UPDATE! Changed PCI-e slot slower router (50KB/s) speed has increased to 2MB/s- should be faster - still looking to improve.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 02.23.18.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 02.23.18.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 60
  • config.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
In the system information, Wi-Fi section, check the signal and noise level that comes to your card on the computer.
If there are more SSIDs, the one involved (information on the current network) is the one that also reports the transmission speed and the MCS index, normally it is the first on the list.
You can do the same verification with a Wifi monitoring program.
If the signal is too low or if the noise in relation to the signal is high (from which signal to noise ratio) the data connection begins to slow down until it disengages.
Normally with signal to noise ratios below 15db you can start having big problems but in any case the connection remains functional even with much lower values.

In the system information, Wi-Fi section, check the signal and noise level that comes to your card on the computer.
If there are more SSIDs, the one involved (information on the current network) is the one that also reports the transmission speed and the MCS index, normally it is the first on the list.
You can do the same verification with a Wifi monitoring program.
If the signal is too low or if the noise in relation to the signal is high (from which signal to noise ratio) the data connection begins to slow down until it disengages.
Normally with signal to noise ratios below 15db you can start having big problems but in any case the connection remains functional even with much lower values.

Thanks for the help. Signal to noise is -70dBm / -87dBm
Transmit rate 878
MCS index 7

Looks like it’s below 15db if I’m reading it right? It’s a communal WiFi so would probably have to move the whole case to get a better signal.

Runs slightly better under windows about 4MB/s faster.

I’ll continue fiddling with the aerials :)

Yes the signal is a bit low and the noise is quite normal (here the noise is even higher: -83db).
I had the same kind of problem with signal just a bit lower than yours, so I would say that you are in the threshold where that problem can occur.
Before taking action, try to bring the PC case closer to the router at least until the signal reaches -50/-55db, (if you can get to -40db it's even better) and test the network speed with both routers or with what you think is the best.
If the speed on the internet stabilizes on your nominal speed, you can be sure that the problem is distance and you can resort to repairs.
The best way is to leave the smallest distance, as in the test, but if you can't, for the structure of your home, you can take a Wi-Fi repeater to place about halfway between the PC and the router.
If you search on the internet you will find all the info you need on Wi-Fi repeaters.
If you had to buy it, check if your router supports "mesh" technology and buy it with the same technology.
It costs more but is more functional on the net.
There is also another solution: if your Wi-Fi card has removable antennas you can equip yourself with cable extensions and put them in a better position (behind the case it is one of the worst positions) or you can get antennas like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Antenna-Connector-Magnetic-Wireless/dp/B07JVDNDCR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Eightwood+WiFi+Antenna&qid=1568220420&s=books&sr=8-1

But if you have three antennas you can look for three singles, however for the final cost, both of the extension cables and of the antennas+cables you get very close (if you don't exceed) to the expense of a repeater, not gaining the certainty that the situation gets much better, so I suggest you evaluate well.

Last edited:
Yes the signal is a bit low and the noise is quite normal (here the noise is even higher: -83db).
I had the same kind of problem with signal just a bit lower than yours, so I would say that you are in the threshold where that problem can occur.
Before taking action, try to bring the PC case closer to the router at least until the signal reaches -50/-55db, (if you can get to -40db it's even better) and test the network speed with both routers or with what you think is the best.
If the speed on the internet stabilizes on your nominal speed, you can be sure that the problem is distance and you can resort to repairs.
The best way is to leave the smallest distance, as in the test, but if you can't, for the structure of your home, you can take a Wi-Fi repeater to place about halfway between the PC and the router.
If you search on the internet you will find all the info you need on Wi-Fi repeaters.
If you had to buy it, check if your router supports "mesh" technology and buy it with the same technology.
It costs more but is more functional on the net.
There is also another solution: if your Wi-Fi card has removable antennas you can equip yourself with cable extensions and put them in a better position (behind the case it is one of the worst positions) or you can get antennas like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Antenna-Connector-Magnetic-Wireless/dp/B07JVDNDCR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Eightwood+WiFi+Antenna&qid=1568220420&s=books&sr=8-1

But if you have three antennas you can look for three singles, however for the final cost, both of the extension cables and of the antennas+cables you get very close (if you don't exceed) to the expense of a repeater, not gaining the certainty that the situation gets much better, so I suggest you evaluate well.

Thank you. It is definitely a case of poor signal. I will most likely get the extension aerials you mentioned.

I'm glad to have been useful with so little :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back