Contribute
Register

Slow Boot time with Samsung 960 Evo NVME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problems:
- CPU PM not implemented (due to incorrect SMBIOS, see below)
- iMac14,2 is a poor choice for Sandy Bridge hardware (it is XCPM/X86PlatformPlugin, not ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin)
- Use Sandy MacMini instead
- lots of 3rd party system software installed
- old Ethernet kext
- might try an HFS+J install instead of APFS

Hey, ok, thanks, i will adress the issues and report back.
thanks again for your reply :)

Ok,
so i:
- changed my smbios to a sandy macmini,
- updated the ethernet kext,
- and removed almost all 3rd part system software

but it still pauses at: "HID: Legacy Shim 2" for about 30 - 40 sec before continuing booting:

other than that, everything seems to be working fine :-/

Last edited:
Ok,
so i:

but it still pauses at: "HID: Legacy Shim 2" for about 30 - 40 sec before continuing booting:

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

This might be relevant to the original poster and some of the others in this thread. But it seems some real macs are having the same slow boot issue, particularly pausing around the apfs_mount_update "mount check: ro->rw update: no encryption rolling in progress, bailing" line.

It's being spoken about over at this macrumors thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/slow-boot.2072585/page-2

Last edited:
Problems:
- no files in ACPI/origin (you forgot to press F4).
- port limit patch is in use (not a good idea, use it only to discover the ports, then create custom SSDT for USBInjectAll to stay within the 15-port limit). You're injecting 17 ports, which is two ports over the limit.
- EC0->EC patch is a bad idea if you have ECDT (and native EC is not named EC). No idea because you forgot to attach native ACPI/origin
- kexts are not installed correctly (all kexts you need should be installed to the system volume, typically /L/E). config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be Detect.

You should also check your kernel logs to see what might be taking so long...

hi rehabman. you are very kind as usual.
here you are updated files, with corrections that you suggested (acpi/origin, ec ssdt and usb custom ssdt)
i added even the boot.log in clover folder
i have to put kexts in S/L/E. i'll do it.
any other suggestions - modifications?

Attachments

• files.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 117
hi rehabman. you are very kind as usual.
here you are updated files, with corrections that you suggested (acpi/origin, ec ssdt and usb custom ssdt)
i added even the boot.log in clover folder
i have to put kexts in S/L/E. i'll do it.
any other suggestions - modifications?

Still:
- kexts are not installed correctly (all kexts you need should be installed to the system volume, typically /L/E). config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be Detect

And:
- make sure you didn't use trimforce (I think there may be a problem with TRIM and non-Apple SSDs, and there are even reports of problems with Apple SSDs [and likely related to TRIM])
- consider HFS+J instead of APFS

Still:
- kexts are not installed correctly (all kexts you need should be installed to the system volume, typically /L/E). config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be Detect

And:
- make sure you didn't use trimforce (I think there may be a problem with TRIM and non-Apple SSDs, and there are even reports of problems with Apple SSDs [and likely related to TRIM])
- consider HFS+J instead of APFS

I really appreciate your interest.
ok, i will put put kext in S/L/E
i have a Nvme samsung 960, are you sure I can use hfs instead of apfs? I thought that with flash drive apple doesn't allow you to choose

edit:
I just used "sudo trim force disable" to disable trim. result? it seems that it is disabled on my traditional ssd crucial(data disk), but it still enabled on my nvme (boot disk). info read from system report. maybe it's not possible to disable trim on nvme ssd?

Last edited:
I really appreciate your interest.
ok, i will put put kext in S/L/E
i have a Nvme samsung 960, are you sure I can use hfs instead of apfs? I thought that with flash drive apple doesn't allow you to choose

Read here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

edit:
I just used "sudo trim force disable" to disable trim. result? it seems that it is disabled on my traditional ssd crucial(data disk), but it still enabled on my nvme (boot disk). info read from system report. maybe it's not possible to disable trim on nvme ssd?

Yes, trim on NVMe is different (not affected by trimforce) than SATA TRIM.

Ok,
so i:

just to share where my boot hangs for 30-40 sec (see picture)
it is very similar to your

same behavior in original Mac, see picture here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/slow-boot.2072585/page-2

Attachments

• IMG_2775.PNG
    IMG_2775.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I the same problem with Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
After install 10.13 (APFS) first time was ok, but later begin slow load. I try reinstall few times but all the same.
In boot log I see this:

Code:
 kernel: (IONVMeFamily) AppleNVMe Assert failed: ( 0 != data )
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569300-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) ReleaseIDNode
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569452-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) file: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-356.1.4/IONVMeController.cpp
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569757-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) line: 5420
2017-09-24 06:18:24.569909-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily)
2017-09-24 06:18:24.576158-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) IOReturn IONVMeController::CreateSubmissionQueue(uint16_t, uint8_t)::2742:SQ index=0 entrysize=64
2017-09-24 06:18:24.576304-0700 0xf9       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (IONVMeFamily) IOReturn IONVMeController::CreateSubmissionQueue(uint16_t,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back