Contribute
Register

Slow Boot time with Samsung 960 Evo NVME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remove the files Apple Support package has added. In my case it has been 3. No influence on the hanging. That has to be a configuration something in Clover. For example use -disablegfxfirmware. It sppeds up booting mostly.

Just remove the files Apple Support package has added. In my case it has been 3. No influence on the hanging. That has to be a configuration something in Clover. For example use -disablegfxfirmware. It sppeds up booting mostly.
Hi @GeraldB ! I have downgraded to 10.13.0 apfs.efi both on my SATA and NVME drives (removed ApfsDriverLoader.efi)
Clover boot is well faster than 10.13.6. Anyway this is true for NVME as for SATA drive (not limited to NVME)

Hi favority, I use the apfs.efi from 10.13.0 and have done the hack to get non verbose version with terminal.
This works in terminal:
sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x00\x74\x07\xb8\xff\xff|\x00\x90\x90\xb8\xff\xff|sg' /path/to/your/APFS.efi
All this you can find in this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-current-and-past-apfs-efi-downloads.236103/page-1.
The version of apfs.efi in Clover EFI has no influence on the version of apfs that is used in the running macOS. In macOS a apfs driver is loaded from Extensions. The apfs.efi file is only used foor to be able to find bootx64.efi to start up macOS.
Sure, the Applesupport package makes booting more secure. But we also use HFS driver from Virtualbox for years. May be there is already a Virtualbox efi driver for apfs too?
Anyway, the version I have written works without delay in boot time. Enjoy your NVMe drive on apfs!

I don't know if I understood you correctly. I'm running 10.13.6, should I just put 10.13.0 apfs.efi into clover/drivers64UEFI folder and removing ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi. Or do I also need to overwrite the one in usr/standalone/i386 folder with the 10.13.0 apfs.efi version?
Goal is to speed up APFS nvme boot time of course :)

Don't overwrite the one in usr/standalone/i386. Just put 10.13.0 apfs.efi into clover/drivers64UEFI folder and removing ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi is the solution.

Guys, could some of you have a look to my files and tell me if, not changing back to HFS+ could i get a faster boot? Any tips?

I'm afraid of messing around too much with the files once i had to do some fresh installs few times, and it's just a nightmare :crazy: ..

I posted a new threat and @Humanate gently directed me to here. I looked at it and honestly i feel a little disorientated.

Thanks in advance for the support.
Files attached

Attachments

• debug_26737.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Guys, could some of you have a look to my files and tell me if, not changing back to HFS+ could i get a faster boot? Any tips?

I'm afraid of messing around too much with the files once i had to do some fresh installs few times, and it's just a nightmare :crazy: ..

I posted a new threat and @Humanate gently directed me to here. I looked at it and honestly i feel a little disorientated.

Files attached

I see no replies yet, your problem is beyond my skillset but I think it would benefit you to check that your USB implementation is correct (this can be daunting at first but stick with it!). If you head over to HERE you can ask rehabman to have a look at that for you first (it is a laptop thread but I think OK to post there for USB, check when you post) I think you'll get a response there and they should also direct you onwards if I am incorrect

Files attached
you do have an issue with one of your kexts:
Code:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fd6b1c37970 [0x7fff83fd48f0]> { URL = "VegaTab_56.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.lihaoyun6.customVegaTab" }
you may want to delete it and install it correctly

also in your config.plist InjectKexts should be then set to Detect

you do have an issue with one of your kexts:
Code:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fd6b1c37970 [0x7fff83fd48f0]> { URL = "VegaTab_56.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.lihaoyun6.customVegaTab" }
you may want to delete it and install it correctly

also in your config.plist InjectKexts should be then set to Detect

Thanks so much @Feartech to take the time to answer and review my files.
I deleted the kext, re-installed it, repaired permissions with Kext Utiliy.

And i checked the kextcache log from the debug and it says now that all kexts have invalid signature.
Any idea what may be going wrong?

I check this but the solution doesn't apply for me.

Thanks

Attachments

• debug_21426.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
Thanks so much @Feartech to take the time to answer and review my files.
I deleted the kext, re-installed it, repaired permissions with Kext Utiliy.

And i checked the kextcache log from the debug and it says now that all kexts have invalid signature.
Any idea what may be going wrong?

I check this but the solution doesn't apply for me.

Thanks
i think because it is a NVME drive using APFS? you will have slower boot times compared to using HFS system

[EDIT] When in Verbose mode, Boot goes now much faster. So I guess i can live with few letters passing by and then the apple logo loading flying in less than 1.
Any idea why shutting down and restarting are not working now? When shutting down it restarts, when restarting it stucks on black screen?

---

It really stucks on apple logo for 30 secs or more about 80% of the loading and then again near the end.
I read in few threads that few people got the issued solved even with APFS system, but I tried their solutions and still didn't get it faster.

It's not really a big deal to wait, but just would like to understand what I may be still doing wrong on my system/boot options.

Once Mojave is loaded, the system is pretty fast, although I haven't used it for massive tasks (graphically).

Thanks once more @Feartech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back