Contribute
Register

Sleep/Wake issues Mac18,3 Mojave & Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shows that the system went to sleep 6 times.

If you have iStat Menus, you can see how much the system slept...

View attachment 441685
Thanks for posting this. I have not delved into the minutia of iStat Menus. Now I see what the system is doing when I am not looking at it ;). It doesn't look too bad.
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 3.53.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 3.58.26 PM.png

Darkwake is the system waking on its own?

Thanks for posting this. I have not delved into the minutia of iStat Menus. Now I see what the system is doing when I am not looking at it ;). It doesn't look too bad.View attachment 449519
View attachment 449520
Darkwake is the system waking on its own?

Darkwake is when the system wakes to do background tasks such as Time Machine backups, address book syncs, etc.

Darkwake is when the system wakes to do background tasks such as Time Machine backups, address book syncs, etc.
I have Enable Power Nap disabled. Would the computer continue to Darkwake anyway?

I have Enable Power Nap disabled. Would the computer continue to Darkwake anyway?

I don't know. I always leave Power Nap enabled...

I don't know. I always leave Power Nap enabled...
I have had it off, thinking that this might create the wake cycle. I don't know. Maybe I should not worry about it?

Another curiousity. Sys pref show an update available but when clicking on the update... It does not show the Catalina
update.
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 4.17.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 4.17.56 PM.png

This seems to show something being downloading but nothing is downloading. Is there a Terminal command to solve this?
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 4.20.35 PM.png

I have had it off, thinking that this might create the wake cycle. I don't know. Maybe I should not worry about it?

I think that if Power Nap is disabled, you should not see Darkwakes or, at least, much less than if Power Nap were enabled.

If the system is sleeping, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey all! Another newbie here with sleep/wake issues. I've been working on this for a week and none of the fixes have worked. Time to post my own thread, I suppose. Here is the laydown:

1) Initial: got Mojave up and running more than a month ago w/clover - everything worked great! Even sleep and iMessage.

2) Changes: At some point sleep stopped working. Here is what I added changed in the interim:
a) 2TB WD HDD, moved Documents to the HDD (boots from SSD)
b) Logitech webcam (plug-and-play, hurray!)
c) New Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 esports mouse w/software suite
d) wifi PCIe card

3) Symptoms:
a) usb keyboard unresponsive (num lock not lit, either)
c) mouse (rival 310 - RGB working) will wake the system...
i. screen does not wake from "power save" mode (no response)
ii. case fans go to 100% and will not slow down (even after an hour)
iii. Keyboard remains unresponsive (no num lock, cap lock, etc)
iv. reset button unresponsive (especially weird, b/c its usually a liability w/ my toddler around)
v. CD tray will open, close, and attempt to read

4) Fixes attempted so far:
a) deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.PowerManagement*.plist - no effect
b) uninstalled the mouse's software suite. Also tried going back to previous mouse - no effect
c) removed wifi PCIe card - no effect
d) moved the SSD boot disk from Slot 4 to Slot 0 - no effect
e) updated to macOS Catalina from App Store (update worked!) - no effect
f) modified config.plist (which seems an odd thing to do because it worked fine for several weeks) - no effect
i. ACPI: FixUSB, FixDisplay, DeleteUnused, FixS3D, USB
ii. Boot: Neither Darkwake = none, 2, nor 8 have any effect
iii. Boot: NeverHibernate, SkipHibernateTimeout, Debug
iv. kexts: 10.7(default?), 10.15(created), and OS other all now have:
- FakeSMC.kext
- USBInjectAll.kext
- XHCI-unsupported.kext

And I'm spent. Thanks for making it this far. If you have any more tricks to try, I'm all ears.
disable (IO Configuration--> Serial Port) in bios?

I was having this issue again and it was related to the USB port I am using for my keyboard and mouse (through a USB hub). The problem does not happen when I'm using the frontal ports (connected to MoBo JUSB1), and starts as soon as I switch to one of the USB ports on the back (blue USB 3).

It works fine after switching to the frontal USB:

pmset -g stats

Sleep Count:1
Dark Wake Count:1
User Wake Count:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back