Contribute
Register

Sleep in Windows 7 and Ubuntu do not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Blach
CPU
Blacjh
Graphics
fefe
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a question about suspend and hibernate in ubuntu. Last night when I went to test out suspend, I clicked it and acted like it went into hibernation. But my computer never actually turned off. The fans kept running, which when I go to sleep in OSX, everything turns off like it should. So I did a hard reboot since pressing keys and moving the mouse did nothing, and when I went to power on again, the computer powered up the fans, but nothing showed on the screen. Not the BIOS, or anything. The computer also did not give me any beeps at all. Normally if it passes it's power on test it gives me 1 short beep. Nothing. The only way I could get the computer to act normally was to reset the CMOS. After I reset it, it booted fine. Then I reset my BIOS settings back to what they were.

I've also been having a problem with windows sleep not working too. Whenever I try to sleep in windows, the screen goes black and then right back to the desktop.

So, I'm thinking that it has something to do with the BIOS?

My computer config is in my signature, and here are the power management settings for my board:

ACPI Suspend Type: S3(STR)
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN: 4 Sec Delay
PME Event Wake Up: Disabled
Power On By Ring: Disabled
Resume by Alarm: Disabled
HPET Support: Enabled
HPET Mode: 64-bit Mode
Power On By Mouse: Disabled
Power On By Keyboard: Disabled
AC Back Function: Soft-Off

My thought was that the first one, "ACPI Suspend Type" is my problem. Because if I remember correctly, the default is S1, but we change it to S3 to get sleep to work in OSX.

According to my UD2 manual, the default setting is S3. I have not tried Ubuntu on this box, but Windows 7 slept just fine. In my experience, power management on linux has issues. Try checking ubuntuforums to see if that board has known issues with sleep. Also, what bios revision are you using?

I don't know what happened with Ubuntu. But MS in Windows 7 made a beautiful thing: Windows 7 don't sleep if active partition is not a Windows partition.

I resolved this Issue with one "crutch". I set active flag on windows partition. Later I tried 2 variants: first, use EasyBCD (or chain0) to start Mac OS, but in this case cannot detect a boot in EFI partition (or patch chain0); second, patch a boot0 file and load boot1 from first(second) partition always.

Well, the windows partition is set active. Now, I'm probably going to reset the BIOS to optimized default and switch everything to hackintosh settings except power management. Then I'll see if sleep works, because I don't think it is just luck that both don't work.

Well, I figured out why Windows 7 would not sleep. It is a fairly common problem with the OS itself(go figure) and not any options in the BIOS. First thing I tried:

"Under Power options in the BIOS, go to your power plan and click advanced power options then go to sleep>Allow Hybrid Sleep

And set to off. Then go to Allow Wake Timers and disable."

Did this and tried sleep. Worked, but when I reawoke it stuttered and gave me a BSOD.

Now second thing I tried that actually did work fully was this:

"Did the same thing as last time but enabled Allow Wake Timers, and then disable USB selective since it was a problem with my Mouse which is USB."

So now windows sleep works like a charm! Now it's time to figure out Ubuntu, but I'm sure it'll probably be a power options aswell.

Note: This is where I found the solution. It is in the comments: http://doubleparity.net/2009/05/windows-7-rc-wont-sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back