Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

I have an issue that my build wakes up shortly after I put it to sleep. First, the system goes into sleep after asking it to, the screen goes dark, and shortly after, the fans stop spinning, and the RGB LEDs on different components shut down (except my RAM RGB:s, which stay turned on). But 2 seconds later, the system starts running again, the fans start spinning, and the LED:s turn on. The screen stays dark until I move my mouse or press any button on the keyboard.

I have read that other people have any issue with the system shutting down or restarting when sleeping. That is not the case here.

I read somewhere that USB ports can cause this issue. I have tried to physically unplug all the USB devices I have plugged into the system before going to sleep, but this doesn't change anything. I have an internal NZXT USB hub inside the build which is powering my PCIe Wifi and Bluetooth Card. I have tried unplugging this as well but without any success.

If anyone could help me here, I would be very thankful!

Below is my build configuration:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: i9-10900K
GPU: Radeon VII
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 32 GB)
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME
HDD: Seagate 3.5" BarraCuda 2TB - ST2000DM008
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Thunderbolt PCIe Card: Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 (Thunderbolt 3 Card to support my LG Ultrafine 5K monitor thru Thunderbolt)
Wifi and Bluetooth PCIe Card: GXLINKSTAR (BCM94360CD)

If there's any other info/files that I've missed and that you need me to attach, please let me know!

This issue is usually caused by USB ports, however unplugging everything doesn't make a difference. You have to have your USB ports configured properly. Check out the USB section of the Opencore guide to get it set up.

Thank you for the replies. I tried to set up the USB ports properly according to UtterDisbelief's guide, limiting them to 15 in total, but unfortunately, it did not solve the issue.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what might be the issue?

@Sthim,

Does your NZXT Kraken X63 AIO CPU Cooler connect to USB ?

If so then try disconnecting it and see if the system sleeps correctly ....

Many CPU AIO's connect to an internal USB header for RGB control ... this is a very common cause of immediate wake on sleep in MacOS. In almost all cases you can disconnect the AIO's USB connection and control it directly from the motherboard pump & fan headers.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you for the replies. I tried to set up the USB ports properly according to UtterDisbelief's guide, limiting them to 15 in total, but unfortunately, it did not solve the issue.

The ports aren't mapped properly is what that means. Have you bothered to read CaseySJ's thread on your motherboard? He goes into excellent detail on USB port mapping and lays out which port is which, he even provides a preconfigured USB-SSDT in his EFI folders. #1

Post a copy of your USBPorts.kext so we can see what you have created and are using.

Assumptions:
  1. You have no other USB 'fixes' applied in your setup, i.e. you are not using the XhciPortLimit quirk in OC, or the USB port limit patches in Clover config.
  2. You have not installed any USB3 kexts to your bootloader kext or /Library/Extensions folder.
  3. If you are using an SSDT-UIAC.aml you are injecting a recent version of USBInjectAll.kext, i.e. v0.7.5 or newer.
  4. You are not injecting USBInjectAll.kext alongside USBPorts.kext, as these should not be used together.

@Sthim,

Does your NZXT Kraken X63 AIO CPU Cooler connect to USB ?

If so then try disconnecting it and see if the system sleeps correctly ....

Many CPU AIO's connect to an internal USB header for RGB control ... this is a very common cause of immediate wake on sleep in MacOS. In almost all cases you can disconnect the AIO's USB connection and control it directly from the motherboard pump & fan headers.

Cheers
Jay
I tried this but without any luck. However, it gave me the unexpected result of my build starting to give off a vibrating "RRRR" sound which sounds like it comes from the CPU cooler head itself. Plugged it in again while the computer was running and it immediately stopped. Plugged it out again and the sound came back. I checked properly to make sure that a fan did not hit the cable or something causing the sound, but not. Thank you anyways!

The ports aren't mapped properly is what that means. Have you bothered to read CaseySJ's thread on your motherboard? He goes into excellent detail on USB port mapping and lays out which port is which, he even provides a preconfigured USB-SSDT in his EFI folders. #1
I have read that guide before but have missed the section you are mentioning, but I will revisit it!

Post a copy of your USBPorts.kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back