Contribute
Register

Sleep by lid close & Wake by lid openening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SmartTouchPad kext has a lot of customization options and requires quite a bit of tinkering in the info.plists to get it functioning well.
Tried to but I gave up. It is too much for me :)
Maybe some update for VooDooPS2 LID closing problem?

Maybe some update for VooDooPS2 LID closing problem?

I made some suggestions for experiments/instrumentation, but I don't think anyone followed up on it.
It is the kind of thing someone knowledgeable (eg. a developer) that also has the hardware needs to undertake.

Has there been any updates on this issue? I have the exact same problem where the computer will sleep from the apple menu (in 10.11 &10.12), but will not sleep from close lid unless I try it twice. I recently installed 10.11 hoping to solve the issue but alas the sleep issue is present in 10.11, 10.12, and 10.13 (different sleep issue).

It sounds like the VoodooPS2 driver may be the issue and SmartTouchPad.kext apparently solves this. If so, is there a guide that addresses how to configure SmartTouchPad for a G3 notebook?

Has there been any updates on this issue? I have the exact same problem where the computer will sleep from the apple menu (in 10.11 &10.12), but will not sleep from close lid unless I try it twice. I recently installed 10.11 hoping to solve the issue but alas the sleep issue is present in 10.11, 10.12, and 10.13 (different sleep issue).

It sounds like the VoodooPS2 driver may be the issue and SmartTouchPad.kext apparently solves this. If so, is there a guide that addresses how to configure SmartTouchPad for a G3 notebook?

I made suggestions for people to try in the Probook El Capitan guide thread (involves making changes to the PS2 kext that involve the relative ordering of sleep/wake interrupt disablement). I also made requests for the gathering of debug information from the kernel logs with keylogging enabled (debug kext or using ioio to enable it).

Never heard back.

I assume no touchscreen on your laptop?

Right, no touchscreen.

It's amazing to hear that nobody, other than you, wanted to address this huge issue. It pretty much makes my laptop unusable. If I had known that Skylake HD520 HP laptops had an issue where closing the lid didn't sleep the computer, I never would have bought one for this purpose.

Right, no touchscreen.

It's amazing to hear that nobody, other than you, wanted to address this huge issue. It pretty much makes my laptop unusable. If I had known that Skylake HD520 HP laptops had an issue where closing the lid didn't sleep the computer, I never would have bought one for this purpose.

Why don't you start investigating the problem?

One of my suggestions was to swap the order of sleep notifications/shutdown...
This code in VoodooPS2Controller.cpp:
Code:
        // 2. Notify clients about the state change. Clients can issue
        //    synchronous requests thanks to the recursive lock.
        //    First Mouse, then Keyboard.

dispatchDriverPowerControl( kPS2C_DisableDevice, kDT_Mouse );
        dispatchDriverPowerControl( kPS2C_DisableDevice, kDT_Keyboard );

To:
Code:
        //    First Keyboard, then Mouse.

Note that that code may not even be reached, if the PS2 controller is generating spurious data when the lid is closed...
Which is why, I also requested keylogs when the lid was being closed.
The VoodooPS2 wiki page has a section for customizing the keyboard mapping and part of that is turning on the keylogger (using ioio).
My request was that someone turn on the logs, close the lid, then reply with the keylog data from the kernel log.

No one ever replied.

Why don't you start investigating the problem?

One of my suggestions was to swap the order of sleep notifications/shutdown...
This code in VoodooPS2Controller.cpp:
Code:
        //    First Mouse, then Keyboard.

To:
Code:
        //    First Keyboard, then Mouse.

Note that that code may not even be reached, if the PS2 controller is generating spurious data when the lid is closed...
Which is why, I also requested keylogs when the lid was being closed.
The VoodooPS2 wiki page has a section for customizing the keyboard mapping and part of that is turning on the keylogger (using ioio).
My request was that someone turn on the logs, close the lid, then reply with the keylog data from the kernel log.

No one ever replied.

sounds like you may be onto something. Unfortunately, this may be beyond my technical ability to accomplish myself. What's the deal with people reporting the SmartTouchPad kext alleviating the issue? Any truth to this? Any idea why?

sounds like you may be onto something. Unfortunately, this may be beyond my technical ability to accomplish myself.

You should at least try.

What's the deal with people reporting the SmartTouchPad kext alleviating the issue? Any truth to this? Any idea why?

No idea really.
That kext is not open source and, in fact, violates the APSL.

You should at least try.

No idea really.
That kext is not open source and, in fact, violates the APSL.
Would you be willing to make the necessary changes to VoodooPS2Controller.cpp and then I can install it on my comp and see if it works?

Would you be willing to make the necessary changes to VoodooPS2Controller.cpp and then I can install it on my comp and see if it works?

No.
I'm looking for someone that can do it themselves.
It will require a lot of experimentation and I don't have time for the back and forth.

Plus, your first step is to analyze the keylogs with the lid closed. Spurious keystrokes will prevent sleep from initiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back