Contribute
Register

SL 10.6.8 on Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with Win 7 and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
jfm75 said:
Thanks a lot Steve, I needed a basic DSDT based on my own laptop, and I had planned to install the retail version of Snow Leopard and then upgrade it to Lion, like I did on my desktop. Will the sleep function work with this dsdt?

If you have a working Mac, I'd go straight to Lion - it is much more stable and it is easier to install. You still need a boot loader as the L702x will not boot from a GUID device without some help which is why my guide installs Ubuntu. Let me know if I can be of help; do not attempt to install non-standard kexts within the installer itself; you must wait until the install is complete before you add kexts for keyboard, sound, trackpad, battery. Your install will need a Bluetooth device; I use a trackpad, which I really like, but a mouse or keyboard will do. You can, and I did, build a USB with a personalized /extra containing your DSDT and SMBIOS as well as your SSDT's; be sure to add FakeSMC and NullCPU kexts into the /S/L/E on the installer USB.

I will be happy to help you personalize your stuff; I'll send you a private message.

Steve

P.S. I have been unable to sleep my machine; if you figure it out, please let me know but I have tried a number of fixes to no avail.

Hello, I tried to install the retail version of Snow Leopard on my laptop, I even extracted one of the memory modules, but it doesn't boot, after loading a lot of kexts, it simply hangs with a black screen and doesn't do anything, what could be the problem? :cry: :cry:

jfm75 said:
Hello, I tried to install the retail version of Snow Leopard on my laptop, I even extracted one of the memory modules, but it doesn't boot, after loading a lot of kexts, it simply hangs with a black screen and doesn't do anything, what could be the problem? :cry: :cry:

Well, if you do not have 3D, you are probably going to be using the HD3000 so the black screen is a result of not initializing that connection correctly. Your DSDT does not contain a mod for the AAPL00,Duallink under the GFX0, I think that's right. Search under AAPL00,Duallink as well as Snow Leopard L502x for HD3000 activation instructions.

Steve

Today i got my new machine and so i´m tying to install lion 10.7.4 to an additional ssd. Install works pretty easy with Retail USB Method, SSD connected to my Desktop Hack... After installing Chimera latest branch hd boot works...

I got my own working DSDT and everything worked flawlessly according to this and insanelymacs L702 Thread.

Working:
- Touchpad (No 2 FInger Scroll !), Keyboard, USB3, Bluetooth, Webcam...

Not Working:
- Audio - I used the three kexts from the package and edited my dsdt, i have now correct specs in system information, but no sound and no audio device in in system preferences...

- GFX- GT555M is not recognized and i neither have full acceleration nor full resolution, in system information there is 3mb vram :s...

- i´m also unable to get rid of NULLCPU....kext, ssdt for my processor doesn´t work for me...

-WIFI but Dell1510 is already ordered...

would be great to get some support :)

antagon said:
Today i got my new machine and so i´m tying to install lion 10.7.4 to an additional ssd. Install works pretty easy with Retail USB Method, SSD connected to my Desktop Hack... After installing Chimera latest branch hd boot works...

I got my own working DSDT and everything worked flawlessly according to this and insanelymacs L702 Thread.

Working:
- Touchpad (No 2 FInger Scroll !), Keyboard, USB3, Bluetooth, Webcam...

Not Working:
- Audio - I used the three kexts from the package and edited my dsdt, i have now correct specs in system information, but no sound and no audio device in in system preferences...

- GFX- GT555M is not recognized and i neither have full acceleration nor full resolution, in system information there is 3mb vram :s...

- i´m also unable to get rid of NULLCPU....kext, ssdt for my processor doesn´t work for me...

-WIFI but Dell1510 is already ordered...

would be great to get some support :)

I am out of town at the moment but we need to see your boot.plist, dsdt, smbios (hide your serial number please).

Your nVidia should work out of the box so something is amiss. SSDT-n files will help with CPU management but only after editing the AICPUPM.kext - see this: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23185&p=349402#p349402

Steve

Hi Steve thx a lot for your fast answer... well i sadly need to return my machine because of broken pixels in the display... another thing was that the fan was killing my nevers.. damn loud... so i´ll be back when i got a new one...

Hi,
I don't know where to begin really. I have tried on and off for over a month now to get this thing working and to no avail. It is literally driving me crazy. I have successfully hackintoshed netbooks in the past so I like to think I have a little experience. I have tried all sorts of combinations of smbios.plist, org.chameleon.Boot.plist, DSDT.aml, SSDT.aml to try and create a boot cd according to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273500. The creator of that guide points everyone to this topic on this forum because he doesn't have a 3D version of the xps 17 which is fair enough. I have tried to read these 54 pages but I get confused because there are so many different subjects going on at once, I don't know what would be useful for my machine.

My specs are as follows
i7 2670 QM
555m
3D graphics
a17 bios
16GB ram
Otherwise a generic xps 17 L702x

I have my system specific DSDT down to 0 errors, 2 warnings, 0 remarks, 11 optimizations.

The warnings are as follows:
Not all control paths return a value (_BQC)
Reserved method must return a value (Integer required for _BQC)

The error is this bit of code I have underlined:

Store (Local1, BRGD)
}
NINT (0x02, Local2)
}
Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (PWRS)
{
Store (BRGA, Local0)

It is under Device PEG0
I am guessing from what I have read up on the net it has something to do with the brightness setting.

Yeah, no matter what I try I get the power off button screen. I am really at a loss. If somebody could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.

@StarbuckSteve

Hello, Steve
I have a L702x 3D with geforce 555M 3gb, 8gb ddr3, i7-2630QM. I am wondering how to get started with installing lion on this laptop. So far I have managed to get lion installed using the USB install method and a copy of the retail 10.7.4 image. I am new to all this DSDT patching and speedstep patching. So far my gfx seems to work using GraphicEnabler=Yes flag in Chameleon 2.1 and Sound works as well using the ALC655 patched AppleHDA.kext I found in the L702x non-3D guide posted over at Insanelymac.
and built-in realtek ethenet works as well as on board USB 2.0. I can also get USB 3.0 ports working by using the PXHCD.kext. However, sleep does not work and it won't wake up from sleep. I guess this has to do witih AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Could you please update your DSDT for the latest A17 bios?

Do I need to keep the Nvidia Femi kexts to get geforce 555m working correctly? Should I delete all intel HD 3000 related kexts since L702x 3D does not have optimus.

itwong said:
@StarbuckSteve

Hello, Steve
I have a L702x 3D with geforce 555M 3gb, 8gb ddr3, i7-2630QM. I am wondering how to get started with installing lion on this laptop. So far I have managed to get lion installed using the USB install method and a copy of the retail 10.7.4 image. I am new to all this DSDT patching and speedstep patching. So far my gfx seems to work using GraphicEnabler=Yes flag in Chameleon 2.1 and Sound works as well using the ALC655 patched AppleHDA.kext I found in the L702x non-3D guide posted over at Insanelymac.
and built-in realtek ethenet works as well as on board USB 2.0. I can also get USB 3.0 ports working by using the PXHCD.kext. However, sleep does not work and it won't wake up from sleep. I guess this has to do witih AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Could you please update your DSDT for the latest A17 bios?

Do I need to keep the Nvidia Femi kexts to get geforce 555m working correctly? Should I delete all intel HD 3000 related kexts since L702x 3D does not have optimus.

Mine does not sleep but I don't use the feature so I haven't really tried. Don't bother to delete the HD3000 kexts as they are not used anyway so it won't help; do not use non-Apple kexts for video - 10.7.4 works very well right out of the box. I no longer use any workarounds and have VERY few issues with video. The A17 bios is the same as the A16 bios - just renamed; at least in my machine the sources compared equal.

1) What is your specific video issue?
2) Are you building your AICPUPM kext as directed by previous posts or using NullCPUPM?

Steve

meltymac said:
Hi,
I don't know where to begin really. I have tried on and off for over a month now to get this thing working and to no avail. It is literally driving me crazy. I have successfully hackintoshed netbooks in the past so I like to think I have a little experience. I have tried all sorts of combinations of smbios.plist, org.chameleon.Boot.plist, DSDT.aml, SSDT.aml to try and create a boot cd according to http://www.insanelymac_.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273500. The creator of that guide points everyone to this topic on this forum because he doesn't have a 3D version of the xps 17 which is fair enough. I have tried to read these 54 pages but I get confused because there are so many different subjects going on at once, I don't know what would be useful for my machine.

My specs are as follows
i7 2670 QM
555m
3D graphics
a17 bios
16GB ram
Otherwise a generic xps 17 L702x

I have my system specific DSDT down to 0 errors, 2 warnings, 0 remarks, 11 optimizations.

The warnings are as follows:
Not all control paths return a value (_BQC)
Reserved method must return a value (Integer required for _BQC)

The error is this bit of code I have underlined:

Store (Local1, BRGD)
}
NINT (0x02, Local2)
}
Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (PWRS)
{
Store (BRGA, Local0)

It is under Device PEG0
I am guessing from what I have read up on the net it has something to do with the brightness setting.

Yeah, no matter what I try I get the power off button screen. I am really at a loss. If somebody could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.

The warnings mean nothing - you can fix them but it is unnecessary. I am unsure what your issue is - are you saying that you cannot boot the install? And if so, what are you installing - LION or SL?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back