Contribute
Register

SL 10.6.8 on Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with Win 7 and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone can send me BIOS file from L702x ? Just download the BIOS A12 and use L702X_A12.exe to dump BIOS:
L702X.png

I want to see if I can patch the BIOS to eliminate SpeedStepper.
Code:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R309590

hornile said:
Thanks,
I suceeded in installing 10.6 (i only got 10.6) BUT when I try to install the 10.6.8 combo update (on my backup install) it says something l like "volume not supported". I can only install the update on the disk that I booted from. Any idea what's causing this ?

Make sure ownership is active on the volume ...

Steve

Speedstepper locations for 167.2.0 AICPUPM in Dev LION 10.7.3 (11D24), (11D33) & (11D42)

A11A
A1E2
A260
A2A9
AB64 <--<< I changed back to 0F30 as it does not appear to be a write to MSR ...
AC16
ACF4
B340
1170A
117E8

Using 0xED.app, I replaced the 0F30 at these addresses with 9090 which is what the patcher does. The result boots and executes but, in my case at least, only 1 PState (8) which results in a half-speed machine - although it runs much cooler. :D I made the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext fix ... I now have 4 states and am at 85% of maximum so I think we're good.

I plugged these addresses into the v1.2 patcher and ran it - it reported all locations already changed so I think they are solid although maybe not absolutely correct. As flAked is the author I will not posting a patcher. MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE MODIFYING.

Steve

Got it working now. OSX 10.7.2. Vertex3 SSD + 500GB HDD. OSX, Windows 7 and ubuntu all on SSD.
Everything working, except sound and wifi.

Also did not use the battery meter (modified AppleACPIplatform and modified appleACPIPS2Nub), because for some reason, after I have booted into windows, these Kexts made OSX always KP once, after which it started up correctly. Now is is completely stable.

For sound I use the creative XFI go pro (USB) which is fully supported automatically. Microphone works via XFI and creative webcam. (internal; webcam also works, but microphone not)

Used DSDT.AML provided in this forum

To reduce disk usage, removed sleepimage under osx, which in my situation gave me an additional 12 GB of SSD space (since I have 12GB of memory in this laptop)

Am very happy now, everything completely stable...And very fast !

Hello,
I am just One Step Away from freakin out :-D
I think everything is Working Fine, but the GraphicsCard is Not Recognized As it is, but As unknown with the right datas.
I am really sure that i had this Working in the past already but i cannot remember how i did it.
Someone Here has an idea?
My Specs:
XPS17
I7 @2.00. GHz
GT555m with 3D Panel
4GB RAM
Rest As usual and Working ;-)

Thanks for your effort.
Sorry for Bad english, but i am from Germany and sitting in a Train using my iPhone to Write all this crap ;-)

iTechMo said:
Hello,
I am just One Step Away from freakin out :-D
I think everything is Working Fine, but the GraphicsCard is Not Recognized As it is, but As unknown with the right datas.
I am really sure that i had this Working in the past already but i cannot remember how i did it.
Someone Here has an idea?
My Specs:
XPS17
I7 @2.00. GHz
GT555m with 3D Panel
4GB RAM
Rest As usual and Working ;-)

Thanks for your effort.
Sorry for Bad english, but i am from Germany and sitting in a Train using my iPhone to Write all this crap ;-)

I had it working, too, six months ago under Snow Leopard. However, I've pulled all of the video-related DSDT changes out, which is where you can set that information. 'Unknown' is correct as Apple's last flirtation with the nVidia cards was the 310M, I think? So the 555M is definitely 'unknown' to them. You can certainly put some of those those changes back in, but I think you're flirting with discomfort for a cosmetic change.

On the first page of this thread is a file called Steve's Update which details how to use the gfxutil and set a boot time modification in place to recognize your video (and/or audio). This is ancient history, under Snow Leopard, but it will give you some direction as to what must be set to get your model displayed. Really, though, I wouldn't bother.

Steve

Sorry, forgot to mention that i am under Lion 10.7.1.
Just tried the steps explained there, but no luck until today..
But possibly i missunderstood some things.
Would it Be possible to explain it for Germandumbass ;-)

Hi all, so i have the same system as steve only thing is i have a non 3d system.
I have followed the guide i cant install the tonymacx nvidia update 2.0 cause i cant find it.
i have done all until nvidia needs updating and i didn't do it and restarted it and failed to boot again. So when i search for the nvidia update package i get redirected to nvidia website and when i downloaded it it says i need to have version 10.6.8.

Il try again whit the istall hope il get it somehow. Would need helppppppp :D

neverdie said:
Hi all, so i have the same system as steve only thing is i have a non 3d system.
I have followed the guide i cant install the tonymacx nvidia update 2.0 cause i cant find it.
i have done all until nvidia needs updating and i didn't do it and restarted it and failed to boot again. So when i search for the nvidia update package i get redirected to nvidia website and when i downloaded it it says i need to have version 10.6.8.

Il try again whit the istall hope il get it somehow. Would need helppppppp :D

You need to read through the thread. Non-3D systems will not access the nVidia card; you will use the Intel HD 3000 and several folks have done this successfully. If you attempt to follow my guide without my hardware, you are going to encounter issues.

Steve

I have been trying to follow your guide to install Snow Leopard, but I can't get it to work satisfactory.
As far as I understand, my system is the same as yours, except that I have the GT 555M card with 3D display and my second hard drive is 1 TB and I use a netgear usb dongle for wireless.
One problem seems to be that I can't find the same files that you refer to in your guide, i.e. Tonymacx86 nVidia 2.0 installer and multibeast has a different Chimera version.
Would someone please link to the right files needed to follow this guide?
I have looked trough the pages of this tread, but can't find anything regarding the right files.
Thank you for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back