Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Don't get me wrong" - but it can be simple as **** :D

A) If it don't works on Windows -> go to Asus forum/support etc... (because I'm sure you tried all bios options etc... and you checked all other stuff witch can make some problems...)

B) If you problem is only with OS X -> you have problem with your config...
so you have to starts all again, make a research or new thread on that forum and the others...

C*) "Hardware **** happens" sometimes
I had a lot of times "new IT parts" with some fabrication defects...

After so many years you should know - even with a huge experience you can missed something...
and some newbie can find solution for you... and it's OK, but the problem is .... your explanation,
without all Hardware details and all tests/diagnostics done before...

In my opinion.. this is even not a good thread to continue that, it's ok to ask, sure
but for TUF Mark 1 USB problems or even TUF Mark 10.13 xyz... your kind of problem - should be separated.
Maybe I'm wrong... I think - our Chef @kgp should decide.

PS: Don't forget "our first 10 years of IT experience - "today" are only "good old times", our good memories, without real value in actual IT world ;)

Have a nice day! :thumbup:

@rotoyouoio , @mgregrs

the chef de cuisine recommends the following! :lol::lol::lol:;)

a.) Try to run the ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 exclusively with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi!

b.) If this does not help, get rid of this board as soon as possible!

c.) The TUF Mark 1 is famous for its memory allocation errors! I don't know if this is just a BIOS problem or if it is hardware
related. Anyway, you are not the first one reporting such accumulation of memory allocation errors with the latter board, believe me!
d.) Thus, if you are able, do a RC or sell it and change immediately to the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe or optional to the
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme or ASUS PrimeX299!
Good luck :thumbup:

@Rulebreaker01

I have a new challenge for you :D

I was able to go up from 41000 to about 44500 points:

new%20score.jpg

Therefore I only had to delid my CPU:

IMG_0001.jpg

Put some liquid metal on the die:

IMG_0002.jpg

Fix the whole thing with silicon again:

IMG_0003.jpg

Put it back into the PC:

IMG_0005.jpg

And enjoy, how "cool" the new setup is (it is up to 20 degrees colder now):

IMG_0006.jpg

The cores run now with:

8 cores at 4.7 Ghz with 1.27V
2 cores at 4.8 Ghz with 1.27V

Temp max is about 85 degrees. In idle I am below 35 degrees. Really nice!

Do it on your own risk, though ;-)

Lol, challenge accepted, hang tight, will have some new score soon, haha, :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
On the road for few days,
Well done the delidding, :clap::clap::clap:

flymovies

Can you do me a small favor,
Open terminal and run the "yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null &", for 5 times (that would bring up all 20 threads running at full speed)

Also open Activity Monitor and make sure the CPU User is 99% and check the temp on Intel Power Gadget pls
Keep the system running for 3 hours nonstop and see how the stable the system is,
Thanks..

I run the test all cores at 4.7 and after 7 hours burning CPU test, its great, never crash, temp at 101
With all cores at 4.8, system randomly crash after 2 hours burning test, I was running the CPU Voltage at 1.250, might push to 1.27 as your setup [/SIZE]

Thanks in advance..

PS: I have EKWB X360 Complete Triple 120mm Liquid Cooling Kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great news :D
It's a big pleasure to see someone who done this before me (on this forum) :p
BIG THX for sharing!

2 little questions:

1) Can you share BIOS details please...? :D

2) Did you used der8auer delidding tool or something else? :)
I also de-lidded my 7900x using the Rockit 99 tool & and used Thermal Grizzly Liquid metal on it. Recommend this tool - very easy to use & is high quality. Also running 20-30 degrees lower under load (max is in 70's). I haven't push the overclock past all cores on 4.5 as it seems to make the xcpm not work as well (the freq jumps all over the place, rather than staying at 1.2 when doing nothing)

Last edited:
@Rulebreaker01

The cores run now with:

8 cores at 4.7 Ghz with 1.27V
2 cores at 4.8 Ghz with 1.27V

Do it on your own risk, though ;-)
How did you achieve the turbo 3 on Mac OS ? Or is this on Windows ? I didn't think you could set less cores to run higher on Mac - is there any settings to achieve this ?

I also de-lidded my 7900x using the Rockit 99 tool & and used Thermal Grizzly Liquid metal on it. Recommend this tool - very easy to use & is high quality. Also running 20-30 degrees lower under load (max is in 70's). I haven't push the overclock past all cores on 4.5 as it seems to make the xcpm not work as well (the freq jumps all over the place, rather than staying at 1.2 when doing nothing)

Did you use that one? What did you use to re-lidd your CPU?

Yeah that's the liquid metal I used - only between the CPU die and IHS - between the IHS and Water block I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste.

I used high temp silicon to seal it - just a little on the edges & left it compressed in the tool a few hours before installing back in PC

I should also add that i tried to replace the unit, and spent a
@rotoyouoio , @mgregrs

the chef de cuisine recommends the following! :lol::lol::lol:;)

a.) Try to run the ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 exclusively with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi!

b.) If this does not help, get rid of this board as soon as possible!

c.) The TUF Mark 1 is famous for its memory allocation errors! I don't know if this is just a BIOS problem or if it is hardware
related. Anyway, you are not the first one reporting such accumulation of memory allocation errors with the latter board, believe me!
d.) Thus, if you are able, do a RC or sell it and change immediately to the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe or optional to the
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme or ASUS PrimeX299!
Good luck :thumbup:

when you say famous - do you mean that one other dude who couldn't get the kernel to load with allocation errors? allocation errors with aptiofix are practically nonexistent on my build with any aptiofix module free2000, 1 and 2

i've tried all the possible .efi modules combinations. believe me, asking other people is the last resort for someone like me. can you please just start a huge copy operation to a usb3 device and and start memtest/rember and tell me if it goes past the stuck address? pretty please?

I should also add that i tried to replace the unit, and spent a
"Don't get me wrong" - but it can be simple as **** :D

A) If it don't works on Windows -> go to Asus forum/support etc... (because I'm sure you tried all bios options etc... and you checked all other stuff witch can make some problems...)

B) If you problem is only with OS X -> you have problem with your config...
so you have to starts all again, make a research or new thread on that forum and the others...

C*) "Hardware **** happens" sometimes
I had a lot of times "new IT parts" with some fabrication defects...

After so many years you should know - even with a huge experience you can missed something...
and some newbie can find solution for you... and it's OK, but the problem is .... your explanation,
without all Hardware details and all tests/diagnostics done before...

In my opinion.. this is even not a good thread to continue that, it's ok to ask, sure
but for TUF Mark 1 USB problems or even TUF Mark 10.13 xyz... your kind of problem - should be separated.
Maybe I'm wrong... I think - our Chef @kgp should decide.

PS: Don't forget "our first 10 years of IT experience - "today" are only "good old times", our good memories, without real value in actual IT world ;)

Have a nice day! :thumbup:

the hardware is ok, i've replaced every single component - mobo, cpu, dram, gpu, psu

the problem is uefi macos specific. please, man, run a huge copy to a usb3 storage device and launch rember. this is like 1 more minute of your time an i won't bother you anymore. promise =0)

I have to correct you in two things where you are totally wrong!

1.) The i7-7800X has a turbo boost of 4 Ghz and is indeed very well able to run at 4 Ghz without any OC!

2.) I used the Tridentz DDR-4 3200 Mhz and was running the latter DDR4 indeed also with 3200 Mhz in line with the i7-7800X. A
2400 MHz DDR4 will further hamper your overall system performance, but if your budget does not allow to go for faster DDR4, I guess there are no means against..
3.) And yes, no BIOS or Clover keyboard support with the D-Link Wifi.. You won't be able to use the keyboard at all for the latter...
By the way, where are your from? In Spanish, I would write patata fresquita like that... :lol::lol:

1.) It's evident that my knowledge in informatica is not the best :crazy:

2.) Perfect then, I'm gonna get Tridentz DDR-4 3200 Mhz like you recommended me, this is an important part.
I have read some threads about if is a better choice to choose 2x16GB or 4x8GB with this motherboard/cpu configuration, but I'm not sure yet with is the best option. Can you help me about this?

3.) I have cable keyboard and mouse, I'm not using anything with bluetooth. Will I be able to manage my BIOS? o_O (sorry about my short knowledge about that)

And yes, I'm from Spain jajjajajajajja And when I was young, I thought that "freskita" was cooler than "fresquita" I don't remember why, maybe the mobile "sms" thing and all of this movement. Old times hahaha o_O

thanks a lot :)

1.) It's evident that my knowledge in informatica is not the best :crazy:

2.) Perfect then, I'm gonna get Tridentz DDR-4 3200 Mhz like you recommended me, this is an important part.
I have read some threads about if is a better choice to choose 2x16GB or 4x8GB with this motherboard/cpu configuration, but I'm not sure yet with is the best option. Can you help me about this?

3.) I have cable keyboard and mouse, I'm not using anything with bluetooth. Will I be able to manage my BIOS? o_O (sorry about my short knowledge about that)

And yes, I'm from Spain jajjajajajajja And when I was young, I thought that "freskita" was cooler than "fresquita" I don't remember why, maybe the mobile "sms" thing and all of this movement. Old times hahaha o_O

thanks a lot :)

a.) Well I mean better to use 2x16 if you later on want to expand your memory. Although one should always by kits of 32/64/128 GB with 2/4/8 Ram modules that are verified for the respective capacity.

b.) Of course you will always be able to use a cable keyboard and mouse within your BIOS or Clover... I was just speaking about Bluetooth devices! Stupid question: what for you need WIFI + Bluetooth at all in this case? You don't need either Airdrop, Hands-off, continuity etc.. You won't connect you rig by LAN? So just skip the WIFI +Bluetooth part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back