Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate the updates KGP. Good to see all USB ports working, in addition to Thunderbolt. One question with Thunderbolt: you say it is "natively implemented" - does this mean that Thunderbolt peripherals are hot swappable? Or do they need to be connected before booting? I know this has been a sticking point in the past...

Also, for those who don't already know, it looks like Intel have finally announced the Xeon's intended for the iMac Pro: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/imac-pro-comes-with-xeon-w-processor/

It would appear that they are Xeon's based on the Skylake-X processors, using a LGA2066 socket, but using the C422 chipset, not X299. Don't know what that means for X299 (perhaps X299 iMacs/Mac Pros are coming anyway), but thought I'd share anyway.

Appreciate the updates KGP. Good to see all USB ports working, in addition to Thunderbolt. One question with Thunderbolt: you say it is "natively implemented" - does this mean that Thunderbolt peripherals are hot swappable? Or do they need to be connected before booting? I know this has been a sticking point in the past...

Also, for those who don't already know, it looks like Intel have finally announced the Xeon's intended for the iMac Pro: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/imac-pro-comes-with-xeon-w-processor/

It would appear that they are Xeon's based on the Skylake-X processors, using a LGA2066 socket, but using the C422 chipset, not X299. Don't know what that means for X299 (perhaps X299 iMacs/Mac Pros are coming anyway), but thought I'd share anyway.

a.) Thunderbolt peripherals are not hot swappable and need to be connected before booting!

b.) I followed the recent announcements and news of Pike Alpha and I question myself if the Xeon's apparently implemented in future iMacs and MacPro's would work with X299 at all. If the latter is not the case, one would have to start a totally new build and guide development for systems with Xeon and C422 chipset. In any case Skylake-X/X299 is now fully successfully implemented within my actual Skylake-X/X299 Desktop Guides for macOS 10.13 and macOS 10.12.6. Such systems hopefully might be frequently used during the upcoming years, despite that Apple might choose a different and parallel System Platform for their upcoming iMac's and MacPro's. So hopefully the entire actual Skylake-X/X299 Guide Development was not a total waste of my time and energy :rolleyes:

a.) Thunderbolt peripherals are not hot swappable and need to be connected before booting!

Damn :thumbdown

b.) I followed the recent announcements and news of Pike Alpha and I question myself if the Xeon's apparently implemented in future iMacs and MacPro's would work with X299 at all. If the latter is not the case, one would have to start a totally new build and guide development for systems with Xeon and C422 chipset.

As far as I'm aware, they won't be interchangeable, so if you want the Xeons, you'll need to go for a C422 board. I guess it will come down to how much you care about ECC RAM and making your hack as close to the iMac Pro as possible. Also, the Xeons will be considerably more pricey, so if money is a consideration, you'll need to factor that in too.

If the Skylake-X / X299 systems continue to be stable and natively supported, then it may not be worth the extra money, time and effort.

Major Skylake-X/X299 MacOS 10.13 High Sierra Desktop Guide Upgrade/Revision Completed

Overview-x299-10.13-PB7:DP8.png

• X299 System now successfully running with macOS High Sierra 10.13 PB7/DP8
  • Extended Revision and Update of the entire Guide
  • Detailed Error Prevention Description added
  • macOS Installation Description revised
  • Full USB 3.0 added - all USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Type-A and Type C- on-board connectors fully functional at expected speed
  • Thunderbolt EX3 is now fully implemented
  • New EFI-Folder attached below and at the end of the originating post / guide

Enjoy and please carefully read and study the major revision of the guide before applying the attached EFI-Folder! :thumbup:

Curiously waiting on your feedback ;)

1167394.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13-PB7:DP8-Release-010917.zip
    31.9 MB · Views: 203
I'm quite happy with my current hack, otherwise I would be tempted to built a new one following your guide. Good work!

Reactions: kgp
@kgp Thanks for the guide and all the work you put into it:clap:

I think I'm happy right now. Performance is excellent, managed xcpm, not perfectly but it's ok.

For macOS I'm using a intel 600p, came in for free with the motherboard.
For Windows 10 Samsung 960 EVO.

I think write/read speeds are ok on the 600p. Performance was on Win10 likewise.
Speed on my USB Stick is quiet good.

Audio via HDMI and AirPlay works with my AVR, Audio via USB on my Headset also.
20170831_203607.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-31 um 21.36.32.png

@kgp Thanks for the guide and all the work you put into it:clap:

I think I'm happy right now. Performance is excellent, managed xcpm, not perfectly but it's ok.

For macOS I'm using a intel 600p, came in for free with the motherboard.
For Windows 10 Samsung 960 EVO.

I think write/read speeds are ok on the 600p. Performance was on Win10 likewise.
Speed on my USB Stick is quiet good.

Audio via HDMI and AirPlay works with my AVR, Audio via USB on my Headset also.
View attachment 275829 View attachment 275830

Nice to see another iMac17,1 Skylake-X/X299 :headbang:

Well done man! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Nice to see another iMac17,1 Skylake-X/X299 :headbang:

Well done man! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I'm happy to read about next working x299 iMac... :thumbup:
But I don't have that chance today...
even with my new Vega 64, and your New efi :(
Last 6 hours I recreate USB with 10.13, 6times bios reset and reconfigured
and a looot of boot combinations :p - and still almost nothing :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So first: I wanted to ask about my bios and Package C State limit, i don't have ''Enable'' option : look on photo...
20170831_234328.jpg
I tried ''no limit'' and ''c6''
What you think about..? What should I choose?

2nd thing: still ''boot problem''
I don't have any usb 2. 0 so I always try with USB 3.0 and 3.1
so first stop
20170901_014002.jpg
Then.. few seconds later

20170901_014121.jpg

and at the end

20170901_014142.jpg

and nothing else :( :banghead:

One time i saw White screen and then Apple logo but it was little crush too... (after xxxx of time)

I'm too tired now :crazy:, so we will try other things tomorrow...
maybe you have some ideas... ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
I'm happy to read about next working x299 iMac... :thumbup:
But I don't have that chance today...
even with my new Vega 64, and your New efi :(
Last 6 hours I recreate USB with 10.13, 6times bios reset and reconfigured
and a looot of boot combinations :p - and still almost nothing :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So first: I wanted to ask about my bios and Package C State limit, i don't have ''Enable'' option : look on photo...
View attachment 275895
I tried ''no limit'' and ''c6''
What you think about..? What should I choose?

2nd thing: still ''boot problem''
I don't have any usb 2. 0 so I always try with USB 3.0 and 3.1
so first stop
View attachment 275896
Then.. few seconds later

View attachment 275897

and at the end

View attachment 275898

and nothing else :( :banghead:

One time i saw White screen and then Apple logo but it was little crush too... (after xxxx of time)

I'm too tired now :crazy:, so we will try other things tomorrow...
maybe you have some ideas... ;-)

You have to use C6(Retention) State at first place as I clearly write it in my guide!

Did your remove Emuvariable..efi from the EFI-Folder of your USB Flash Drive Installer?

Please carefully read the major revision of my guide before using the distributed EFI-Folder and before performing the installation!

We will do it carefully... step by step.. don't worry! :thumbup:

Probably the best guide i have ever seen written congrats again (i'm reading your updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back