Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found my issue, was to do with CSM not being disabled in BIOS.

When I had installed 10.12.6 Sierra I had tried to disable this & my PC wouldn't start, had to reset BIOS and then Sierra installed correctly with CSM enabled.

For High Sierra it is black screen without CSM disabled. Managed to disable it now & no more black screen.

I can now get the installer to start, but need to figure out a few other issues to get it working.

CSM should always be disabled! I clearly mention this absolutely mandatory requisite in my BIOS instructions (10.12 & 10.13).

I repeatedly asked you to verify your BIOS settings. You always assured that they are identical to mine, which however was apparently not the case! ;)

If you need further help just let me know!

Good luck :thumbup:

KGP

If you follow my guide, you will have to create your own XHC USB Kext for the ASUS Prime X299. The XHC USB Kext I distribute is exclusively for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. However, you will find a quite easy and detailed guideline for the kext creation. You have to know yourself if you will be able to follow the individual instructions. If you need any help, I am always there.

The i7-7820X is 100% compatible with my guide.

Concerning Nvidia Graphcis Cards, I clearly describe and highlight all current limitations, issues, problems etc. If you want run a fully-featured Skylake-X/X299 rig under 10.13 without limitations, change to one of the natively supported AMD Graphics Cards.

If you prefer to work with Windows 10 and subsequently buy an iMac Pro or macPro, feel free to do it.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

KGP

I have a doubt about if x299 can be supported on OS X The Capitan along with Nvidia Maxwell cards.

And also, if these two models of RX 580 are compatible:
- Asus Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 8 GB GDDR5
- Sapphire Nitro + Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5 Special Edition.

Congratulations on the installation guide manual you have written.
Great support, thanks.

Last edited:
I have a doubt about if x299 can be supported on OS X The Capitan along with Nvidia Maxwell cards.

And also, if these two models of RX 580 are compatible:
- Asus Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 8 GB GDDR5
- Sapphire Nitro + Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5 Special Edition.

Congratulations on the installation guide manual you have written.
Great support, thanks.

Honestly I have no clue, whether or not X299 would work with El Capitan... I would expect that this is not the case...

Up to my knowledge any RX 580 can be implemented by means of Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext. It seems that these cards are not yet natively supported by macOS High Sierra 10.13. You can have a crosstalk with @ccozmo. For sure he can provide you with further information and details.

Cheers,

KGP

CSM should always be disabled! I clearly mention this absolutely mandatory requisite in my BIOS instructions (10.12 & 10.13).

I repeatedly asked you to verify your BIOS settings. You always assured that they are identical to mine, which however was apparently not the case! ;)

If you need further help just let me know!

Good luck :thumbup:

KGP

But that's not true - My Sierra Disk can install/boot with or without CSM. And I have been checking ...on sierra the graphics tests like Cinebench are lower with CSM off....

I will test more and report results

But that's not true - My Sierra Disk can install/boot with or without CSM. And I have been checking ...on sierra the graphics tests like Cinebench are lower with CSM off....

I will test more and report results

If you use the UEFI Clover Boot Loader, CSM should be off, independent of your graphics performance. However, this is just an advice, you are certainly free to implement what ever you want ...

I will be glad to receive your feedback on your further tests and results.

Cheers,

KGP

So... after few days of research, tests etc....
My system is still sooo unstable :(
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe + i9-7900X + Vega 64

So.. like before...I have random "logoff" and PC restarts
with random applications, even buildin OSX photo editor....
then I tried (like always) 'Google Chrome', 'Opera' and few other applications.

I reinstalled OS X HS 3 times, with new SSDT.aml (-turbo 4300)
and with GM version.
I tried lilu 1.1.7 and 1.1.6
and Whatevergreen 1.0.3 and 1.0.4

I tried to install OS on 840, 850 eco and 850 pro
I verified all BIOS setting 4 times!

HS works perfect for benchmarks and it's a very big pleasure
...only few people can understand how it is great and unique :D
but I can't work every day with unstable system,
so...
If you have some ideas ...
Thank you for share and help....

Have a nice day!
Cheers! :)

PS:
KGP Can you share 'your' everyday use EFI?
(only for system stability test!
after 3 days it will be reinstalled)

So... after few days of research, tests etc....
My system is still sooo unstable :(
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe + i9-7900X + Vega 64

So.. like before...I have random "logoff" and PC restarts
with random applications, even buildin OSX photo editor....
then I tried (like always) 'Google Chrome', 'Opera' and few other applications.

I reinstalled OS X HS 3 times, with new SSDT.aml (-turbo 4300)
and with GM version.
I tried lilu 1.1.7 and 1.1.6
and Whatevergreen 1.0.3 and 1.0.4

I tried to install OS on 840, 850 eco and 850 pro
I verified all BIOS setting 4 times!

HS works perfect for benchmarks and it's a very big pleasure
...only few people can understand how it is great and unique :D
but I can't work every day with unstable system,
so...
If you have some ideas ...
Thank you for share and help....

Have a nice day!
Cheers! :)

PS:
KGP Can you share 'your' everyday use EFI?
(only for system stability test!
after 3 days it will be reinstalled)

I can just repeat my questions and comments in post 126, which you never answered.

a.) Did you check if your RAM is compatible with your board? This is crucial!
b.) Deviating BIOS settings? I know that you verified 4 times your BIOS settings... But I know so many people who 10 times "successfully" verified their BIOS settings and at the end they found an error or deviation from mine.
c.) Is your XCPM properly configured? Please check and show results!
d.) Are you using the correct VoodooTSC? Please check once more...
e.) Energy Saver settings? You did not comment on that...
f.) Your errors rather seem CPU related with some kernel panic, isn't this the case?
g.) Chrome was not working for long under 10.13. With Opera I have no experience. I definitely use Safari and Firefox for now.
h.) I cannot confirm reboots. My system runs absolutely stable for nearly two months. Not even one reboot in all these
weeks..​
i.) What do you mean by HS? High Sierra?

You have my everyday EFI, which I actually distribute at the end of my originating post/guide! Else I just use in addition the proper VoodooTSCSync.kext (which is different from yours because of the i7-7800X) and AppleIGB.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and the proper ssdt.aml (which is also different from yours because of the i7-7800X) and SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. No other differences from the distributed EFI-Folder.

Better upload YOUR System Disk EFI-Folder for crosscheck, demonstrate that your XCPM is properly configured by verifying the crucial points of the XCPM Section of my guide and by showing IPG Graphs during 2 consecutive Cinebench sessions and CPU Idle session before, after and in between. Summarise your BIOS settings and comment on remaining points a.) to g.) and i.) above. We have to find the error you commit in your configuration.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
What I can tell is that the Vega driver in High Sierra is still a bit buggy. I don't have random reboots, but stuff sometime crashes and the window manager resets. (Back to login) You will notice full load on the Vega when that happens. Heck even the frontier edition driver for windows is buggy as hell.

I can just repeat my questions and comments in post 126, which you never answered.

a.) Did you check if your RAM is compatible with your board? This is crucial!
b.) Deviating BIOS settings? I know that you verified 4 times your BIOS settings... But I know so many people who 10 times "successfully" verified their BIOS settings and at the end they found an error or deviation from mine.
c.) Is your XCPM properly configured? Please check and show results!
d.) Are you using the correct VoodooTSC? Please check once more...
e.) Energy Saver settings? You did not comment on that...
f.) Your errors rather seem CPU related with some kernel panic, isn't this the case?
g.) Chrome was not working for long under 10.13. With Opera I have no experience. I definitely use Safari and Firefox for now.
h.) I cannot confirm reboots. My system runs absolutely stable for nearly two months. Not even one reboot in all these
weeks..​
i.) What do you mean by HS? High Sierra?

You have my everyday EFI, which I actually distribute at the end of my originating post/guide! Else I just use in addition the proper VoodooTSCSync.kext (which is different from yours because of the i7-7800X) and AppleIGB.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and the proper ssdt.aml (which is also different from yours because of the i7-7800X) and SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. No other differences from the distributed EFI-Folder.

Better upload YOUR System Disk EFI-Folder for crosscheck, demonstrate that your XCPM is properly configured by verifying the crucial points of the XCPM Section of my guide and by showing IPG Graphs during 2 consecutive Cinebench sessions and CPU Idle session before, after and in between. Summarise your BIOS settings and comment on remaining points a.) to g.) and i.) above. We have to find the error you commit in your configuration.

Cheers,
KGP

Hi, and that you for fast response :)
so:
a) RAM checked on ASUS website :) (ok)
b) BIOS Settings: before every reinstall and bigger EFI change
I back to BIOS to verify if something is not changed - just for be sure
(I can understand you, because even I needed to read your guide 10 times because after 3-4 times was not enough and
every time I found some new detail :) )

We are only humans so 'it's natural' to make a little mistake, sometimes :)

c) XCPM like in your guide :)

I will add EFI folder to show everything.
./ssdtPRGen.sh -turbo 4300 (7900x)
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'iMac17,1' with board-id [Mac-B**************D]

Skylake Core i9-7900X processor [0x50654] setup [0x0a05]
With a maximum TDP of 140 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 20 (Core Frequency: 3300 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 10 (3400-4300 MHz)
Number of P-States: 36 (800-4300 MHz)
Injected C-States for CP00 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)
Injected C-States for CP01 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)
Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0a05 instead of 0x0905)
- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type
Compiling: ssdt_pr.dsl
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Nov 6 2014]
ASL Input: /Users/redb/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl - 520 lines, 15456 bytes, 144 keywords
AML Output: /Users/redb/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml - 3890 bytes, 64 named objects, 80 executable opcodes
Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

CP00@0 - OK
kextstat|grep -y x86plat
Gives:
128 1 0xffffff7f83b30000 0x17000 0x17000 com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin (1.0.0) 83893551-A0EA-366B-B0C8-848755A275A4 <127 54 22 13 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
131 1 0xffffff7f83b47000 0x7000 0x7000 com.apple.driver.X86PlatformShim (1.0.0) 096BEC76-44FA-39C8-848C-526BB1051993 <128 127 13 7 4 3>

then:
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
-- result is empty :)

RedBs-iMac:~ redb$ sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count
1 :)
..tbc... I have to download Xcode again with my avg internet :D :p
then I will share the rest of results...

d) VoodooTSCSync checked :)

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>
<integer>19</integer> /19 for my 7900x

e) No comments :) :p

f)
Before I was thinking, it was a bad command -turbo 4500, because should be 4300;
then I was thinking about GPU, but nobody says something wrong about that
so I was thinking about so Clover configuration mistake, but I don't think so
because it's your config.... I added only some details for iMessage etc
which after a lot of tests still don't work... even with all that guides (but I will think about that later)

g) Thank you for info, I will use Safari and Firefox (I tried something else because I didn't think Firefox is still supported for OSX) and for my comfortable work I need sometimes 2 or 3 internet navigators on the same time
to spare private and business accounts etc and it's easier and faster than logon and logoff every time on every site... :)

h) Reeboots:
Thank you for Menno87 for info

Because I have the same thing like 'window manager' restart
when it happens you see on your card power leds from 1 - immediately all are on and then I have
something like instant logoff ...

but if I don't close some application immediately (if it's possible) or if it's 2nd, 3rd time (windows manager restart) then I everything stops
and REBOOT :/
It was strange because last few times I tried to edit some photo with build in Photo editor, and after few minutes
the same thing ... everything stops and reboot...

I) Yes, sorry it was just for write faster sometimes...
HS - High Sierra :)

We have the same AppleIGB.kext and NVME I don't you at this moment
because I will reinstall final version on my 960evo, at this moment I use 850 and 840 evo for tests :)

KGP like I said a lot of times (for me) MasterKGP :)
I don't think it's something about your config difference, I think it can be something about my new Vega 64
so this is a reason why 2 days ago I wanted to ask you if we need lilu and greenkext
or maybe should I use only greenkext alone, but then I was thinking 'it's a stupid question' and I didn't even wrote a message :p
I updated lilu and whatevergreen to the latest versions, with a little hope...
but no, it's not much better...

What I want to mention again: I appreciate a lot your help!
(I was a little sad when I re read Forum rules, and we can't even buy you a beer, whisky or something like that :p,
because it's forbidden :p) so I don't know what I can say more than BIG Thank You :D
It's for you and almost the same thing for a lot of other cool people here
who help others (that's why I love that forum, it's like Amazing World Hackintosh Center) :D

I will do a lot of tests today ... so we will see what will happened without Chrome
only average usage of apps from AppleStore or something more 'sure'... :p

Have a nice day!
Cheers :D

Attachments

• ssdt.aml
    3.8 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: kgp
Hi, and that you for fast response :)
so:
a) RAM checked on ASUS website :) (ok)
b) BIOS Settings:
before every reinstall and bigger EFI change
I back to BIOS to verify if something is not changed - just for be sure
(I can understand you, because even I needed to read your guide 10 times because after 3-4 times was not enough and
every time I found some new detail :) )

We are only humans so 'it's natural' to make a little mistake, sometimes :)

c) XCPM like in your guide :)

I will add EFI folder to show everything.
./ssdtPRGen.sh -turbo 4300 (7900x)
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'iMac17,1' with board-id [Mac-B**************D]

Skylake Core i9-7900X processor [0x50654] setup [0x0a05]
With a maximum TDP of 140 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 20 (Core Frequency: 3300 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 10 (3400-4300 MHz)
Number of P-States: 36 (800-4300 MHz)
Injected C-States for CP00 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)
Injected C-States for CP01 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)
Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0a05 instead of 0x0905)
- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type
Compiling: ssdt_pr.dsl
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Nov 6 2014]
ASL Input: /Users/redb/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl - 520 lines, 15456 bytes, 144 keywords
AML Output: /Users/redb/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml - 3890 bytes, 64 named objects, 80 executable opcodes
Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

CP00@0 - OK
kextstat|grep -y x86plat
Gives:
128 1 0xffffff7f83b30000 0x17000 0x17000 com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin (1.0.0) 83893551-A0EA-366B-B0C8-848755A275A4 <127 54 22 13 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
131 1 0xffffff7f83b47000 0x7000 0x7000 com.apple.driver.X86PlatformShim (1.0.0) 096BEC76-44FA-39C8-848C-526BB1051993 <128 127 13 7 4 3>

then:
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
-- result is empty :)

RedBs-iMac:~ redb$ sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count
1 :)
..tbc... I have to download Xcode again with my avg internet :D :p
then I will share the rest of results...

d) VoodooTSCSync checked :)

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>
<integer>19</integer> /19 for my 7900x

e) No comments :) :p

f)
Before I was thinking, it was a bad command -turbo 4500, because should be 4300;
then I was thinking about GPU, but nobody says something wrong about that
so I was thinking about so Clover configuration mistake, but I don't think so
because it's your config.... I added only some details for iMessage etc
which after a lot of tests still don't work... even with all that guides (but I will think about that later)

g) Thank you for info, I will use Safari and Firefox (I tried something else because I didn't think Firefox is still supported for OSX) and for my comfortable work I need sometimes 2 or 3 internet navigators on the same time
to spare private and business accounts etc and it's easier and faster than logon and logoff every time on every site... :)

h) Reeboots:
Thank you for Menno87 for info

Because I have the same thing like 'window manager' restart
when it happens you see on your card power leds from 1 - immediately all are on and then I have
something like instant logoff ...

but if I don't close some application immediately (if it's possible) or if it's 2nd, 3rd time (windows manager restart) then I everything stops
and REBOOT :/
It was strange because last few times I tried to edit some photo with build in Photo editor, and after few minutes
the same thing ... everything stops and reboot...

I) Yes, sorry it was just for write faster sometimes...
HS - High Sierra :)

We have the same AppleIGB.kext and NVME I don't you at this moment
because I will reinstall final version on my 960evo, at this moment I use 850 and 840 evo for tests :)

KGP like I said a lot of times (for me) MasterKGP :)
I don't think it's something about your config difference, I think it can be something about my new Vega 64
so this is a reason why 2 days ago I wanted to ask you if we need lilu and greenkext
or maybe should I use only greenkext alone, but then I was thinking 'it's a stupid question' and I didn't even wrote a message :p
I updated lilu and whatevergreen to the latest versions, with a little hope...
but no, it's not much better...

What I want to mention again: I appreciate a lot your help!
(I was a little sad when I re read Forum rules, and we can't even buy you a beer, whisky or something like that :p,
because it's forbidden :p) so I don't know what I can say more than BIG Thank You :D
It's for you and almost the same thing for a lot of other cool people here
who help others (that's why I love that forum, it's like Amazing World Hackintosh Center) :D

I will do a lot of tests today ... so we will see what will happened without Chrome
only average usage of apps from AppleStore or something more 'sure'... :p

Have a nice day!
Cheers :D

Maybe we can really cook down all your problems to the Vega 64... isn’t it natively supported by macOS High Sierra 10.13?

The -turbo 4500 flag with ssdtPRGen.sh would result in an OC of your processor. However it would only apply, if you also change the cpu clock ratio in your Bios from 43 to 45 ... in any case if you perform OC, carefully watch the CPU temperatures!!!!

Good luck, man!!!

Cheers,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back