Contribute
Register

Skylake-X/X299 and macOS Sierra 10.12 - [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just got my hands on a Gigabyte X299 UD4 and an i7-7820X to replace my previous Asus Z170-E and i7-6700k.
Having problems getting this to run macOS(Windows boots fine from Clover, as expected), have followed all the steps in the guide as well as every tip in this entire thread with no luck, I keep getting stuck at Apple logo after booting from Clover with no movement on the progress bar.
The furthest I got with Clover on my system drive EFI is this, after staying here for a while the computer reboots, if I run it without "-v", the progress bar moves about 75% before rebooting:
IMG_4270.JPG

Running Clover on a USB thumb drive(tried with both a clean Clover install as well as with the EFI files provided in original post), I didn't get as far, this is where that froze:
IMG_0438.JPG

Worth mentioning that I'm not doing a clean install, and I'd like to avoid that if possible, I already have Sierra installed on a drive.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299 UD4
CPU: Intel i7-7820X
GPU: EVGA GeForce 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ SC+
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
System drive: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2

EDIT:
Decided to try update to High Sierra from a USB stick and it seemed to boot fine into the installer, but after the first reboot(where you boot "macOS Install" from the system drive instead of USB) it gets stuck after a little while, the log is saying "Evaluating 1 disks", anyone got a clue what the problem could be?
Going to leave it overnight in case it decides to start going again.

EDIT 2:
Never mind, got it working after pulling just a little bit of hair by doing a clean install which only failed a few times until it just worked...

Last edited:
@kgp : Thanks for the wonderful tutorial on both Sierra nd HS on X299. I have a question though.

What would be the best alternate system profile than ImacPro for X299 build?? I am trying to stay in Sierra for some compactibility issue in High Sierra. But Imac 17.1 gives me 23xxx in geekbench 4 as opposed to 43xxx in HighSierra/Imacpro1.1 profile. not sure this is coz of Profiles though. I used ur EFI as it is with only disabling the USB kernelpatch.

X299/7900x/64GigDDR4/TitanXp. 10.12.6 with no nullpower kext nd ssdtprgen done nd copied to acpi/patched.

@kgp : Thanks for the wonderful tutorial on both Sierra nd HS on X299. I have a question though.

What would be the best alternate system profile than ImacPro for X299 build?? I am trying to stay in Sierra for some compactibility issue in High Sierra. But Imac 17.1 gives me 23xxx in geekbench 4 as opposed to 43xxx in HighSierra/Imacpro1.1 profile. not sure this is coz of Profiles though. I used ur EFI as it is with only disabling the USB kernelpatch.

X299/7900x/64GigDDR4/TitanXp. 10.12.6 with no nullpower kext nd ssdtprgen done nd copied to acpi/patched.

I would not see any reason for abandoning SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with X299 and Skylake-X. Also I do not see any serious alternative. I also do not understand why you still remain with Sierra or discuss supposed compatibly issues with High Sierra, when nearly everybody employs already Mojave.

You used my 10.12.6, 10.13.6 or 10.14.2 EFI-Folder? This Sierra thread is not supported anymore and the respective EFI is outdated. All other EFI-Folders do not require anymore ssdtprgen and the resulting SSDT.aml.

Mixing the outdated information of this thread with the other guides is not a good idea and could be the reason for your supposed compatibly issues. I recommend to exclusively follow my guides for 10.13 or 10.14 and start from scratch with your system configuration.

Mixing the outdated information of this thread with the other guides is not a good idea and could be the reason for your supposed compatibly issues. I recommend to exclusively follow my guides for 10.13 or 10.14 and start from scratch with your system configuration.
@kgp
I ran flame on a HighSierra/ImacPro Hack based on ur guide on 10.13.2 for past 6 or 8 months on X299. Flame was smooth but i couldnt switch to even finder or filezilla let alone photoshop. There was some compatibility issue with flame and HS. but flame works smooth on Sierra alongside Photoshop and a whole bunch of other softwares open.

So I used this thread on an experimental mode and got Sierra to work using an installation I did using X99 machine. Apparently flame benchmarks give me same results btween HS nd Sierra. But geekbench gives half the points i got in HS/ImacPro. I used ur 10.12.6 EFI.

Thought something i forgot to turn on. Lemme try 10.13.6 and see if the bug exists like before.

Thanks again

Hi,I follow your guide but i have some problems with the boot without the USB stick.Can you help me?:)Thanks for the attention

@kgp
I ran flame on a HighSierra/ImacPro Hack based on ur guide on 10.13.2 for past 6 or 8 months on X299. Flame was smooth but i couldnt switch to even finder or filezilla let alone photoshop. There was some compatibility issue with flame and HS. but flame works smooth on Sierra alongside Photoshop and a whole bunch of other softwares open.

So I used this thread on an experimental mode and got Sierra to work using an installation I did using X99 machine. Apparently flame benchmarks give me same results btween HS nd Sierra. But geekbench gives half the points i got in HS/ImacPro. I used ur 10.12.6 EFI.

Thought something i forgot to turn on. Lemme try 10.13.6 and see if the bug exists like before.

Thanks again

I agree that there are compatibility issues in some applications in HS that could be a reason to stick with sierra.
I have also read that some users have a better experience with the nvidia drivers in Sierra?
Not to mention if you still want to use legacy 32-bit applications such as final cut 7 or quicktime 7.

Personally I am also having issues with Autodesk Flame in High Sierra.
After a successful High Sierra install I am going to give the Sierra install a shot.
Did you ever get it to work @dude05 ?

Quick question though @kgp. Going the Sierra route, do you think its possible to use the TSCAdjustRest.kext instead of VoodooTSCSync.kext?

I agree that there are compatibility issues in some applications in HS that could be a reason to stick with sierra.
I have also read that some users have a better experience with the nvidia drivers in Sierra?
Not to mention if you still want to use legacy 32-bit applications such as final cut 7 or quicktime 7.

Personally I am also having issues with Autodesk Flame in High Sierra.
After a successful High Sierra install I am going to give the Sierra install a shot.
Did you ever get it to work @dude05 ?

Quick question though @kgp. Going the Sierra route, do you think its possible to use the TSCAdjustRest.kext instead of VoodooTSCSync.kext?

You should use TSCAdjustRest.kext instead of VoodooTSCSync.kext under both Mojave and High Sierra and in principle it should also work with Sierra. But I do not remember if Skylake-X was natively implemented under Sierra at all and there is definitely no iMacPro build of Sierra that would work with SMBIOS iMacPro. In my personal opinion to fallback to Sierra with a X299 system is not a very good idea and might cause many different implications on your overall system functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back