Contribute
Register

Skylake Status Update 10.11.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've set up an Intel Haswell (Z87) system. All components of this system are working flawlessly in El Capital (10.11.4).
If I upgrade to the latest Skylake system (Z170), must I reinstall El Capitan ?

I believe that HD 530 still has a sleep/wakeup problem with 10.11.4.

Gigabyte Z170-HD3P still needs the patched SSDT, toleda's patch and THEN the Multibeast kext for it's ALC887.

Funny enough installing 887/888 straight from Multibeast enables audio... until reboot. Anyway - that's just details. Good news!!!

I believe that HD 530 still has a sleep/wakeup problem with 10.11.4.

I just built a Skylake machine and it seems to be working very well after i changed the SMBIOS to iMac17,1 from MacPro3,1, I'm guessing, but i suspect the old SMBIOS didn't work too well with the modern hardware?

More importantly > Since 10.11.4 being released i committed to building a Skylake Hackintosh, it has been superb so far, a few minor headaches to begin with that have been resolved with a few bits and bobs (i can't say for sure but SMBIOS may be the key?). Definitely a lot easier than I had expected given the track record pre 10.11.4.

I'm having problem with sleep. It wakes up to a blank screen and I have to force power off. GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5 motherboard.

I'm having problem with sleep. It wakes up to a blank screen and I have to force power off. GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5 motherboard.

As stated above- unfortunately everyone using Intel HD 530 has the issue.

Thanks. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon. Meanwhile I'll just turn it off every night.

As stated above- unfortunately everyone using Intel HD 530 has the issue.

Thanks. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon. Meanwhile I'll just turn it off every night.

I have the same motherboard but the mITX version and I don't have the sleep/wake problem. This is my first DIY machine (Mackintosh and PC) ever. I jump ahead to install OSX 10.11.4 instead of Windows 8.1. After weeks and countless hours of experimenting, researching, trial and errors, and having to reinstall from a blank SSD. If you'd like, I would gladly navigate to whichever setting. You'll just have to tell me how to get there so I'd be able to screen shot whatever I applied.

However, I've encountered a few more issues along with existing ones. I once managed to get the onboard bluetooth at one point and my old bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected just fine. Then I started searching for a solution to have the machine actually display 3440 x 1440 at 60Hz on an LG 34" UltraWide 98-W took me a another week to fix/ applying everyone's method for the solution, that's when I no longer had bluetooth, I had to switch back to my USB number pad keyboard and wire mouse. I still have the ram issue, which is only recognized at 8 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 instead of 16gb 3000mhz DDR4. I've tried manually typing into clover, brand, size, Mhz, and serial number then rebooted, that was when I was stuck on a half booted Apple logo so, I whipped the SSD clean again and cloned the backup in order to have it functioning again (I used a cloning dock). Other than that everything works fine, I wasn't too sure how to backup as if I were using my old Mac using TimeMachine nor do I know if TimeMachine would even work so I left it alone. Every time I feel the need to backup the machine I'd pull the SSD from the machine and make a clone/backup that way of the SSD to the extra one I have. Just incase I screw it all up again.

Here are some photos of what I've managed to put together by the way. (please disregard the wires, I haven't gotten the chance to do any cable management regarding the exterior.)

My First DIY Build:
  • CASE: IN WIN 901 (I got it for $69.99 because of a pricematch to Fry's)
  • MB: Gigabyte z170n wifi Gaming 5 mITX
  • CPU: Intel i7 6700k Skylake 4.0mhz
  • GPU: PNY GTX 970 4GB Thunder Port Rev 2 (Because I thought it was a sale plus a $40 rebate. It's loud)
  • PSU: EVGA 650watts P2 80+ Platinum (On Eco Mode, I can't hear a thing)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 Kit
  • Corsair H80i GT v2 CPU AIO Cooler (1 stock fan pulling and the other 120SP pushing air from inside the case, then the other 120SP is located in front of the case pulling air into the case. I'm contemplating on removing the SP120 that is pushing through the radiator to having only the stock fan pulling from the radiator, in total of two 120mm fans. I'm not sure if that will affect the performance tremendously because I just haven't found any source yet to back up any information on that yet.)
  • Corsair 120SP Twin Pack (I have to mention, from reviews and video reviews, the fans which came with the CPU AIO Cooler runs much quieter than these.)

Now installing window with only the destination SSD installed in the machine I (I've never overclocked or changed anything in the bios in my life) I managed to do something which left me with -15.99TB of ram memory. :silent:

And comparing my build with others with similar setup, using GeekBench 3 on 64-bit and 32-bit, I do see that it is lacking from what others have shared so far.

Last edited:
I have the same motherboard but the mITX version and I don't have the sleep/wake problem...
That's because you are using a graphics card. The sleep problem is with using the Intel on-board HD530...and the current generation AMD graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back