Contribute
Register

Skylake Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics Working as of 10.11.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the cheap dumb nvidia/ati card that works so i can't working until this 530 problem can be solved?

My only need is that the graphic can handle two monitors.
Thanks

I have the exact same question. I was looking for something around 50 bucks, as I don't game on my hack. I tried my older ATI HD6850, but it had some weird artifacts that were showing up.

Does anyone have a low cost (around $50-$70) NVidia recommendation that will work with Sierra?

I have dual monitors working on a 10.11.6 skylake build using the internal 530 GPU. Since I followed cnrd's guide for my motherboard ([GUIDE] El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3) I used the MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS. Using this SMBIOS (or the iMac 17,1 or iMac 17,2 SMBIOS) seems to require the AGDPFix.app from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/.

I have several patches in my Clover config. I found the comments about using IORegistryExplorer confusing so I wanted to lay out how I applied the comments to my situation.

First I followed the changes in post #1 in this thread: inject Intel = Yes, ig-platform-id = 0x19120000, and the 4 ports patch. After doing this, opening IORegistryExplorer (you can download it at developer.apple.com/downloads/more, choose the right additional tools or hardware IO tools for Xcode, may require Xcode first) and typing "display" into the search box will limit the output to a tree showing your video output. You'll see AppleFramebuffer@0, AppleFramebuffer@1, ..@2 and @3 (after applying the patch, and a reboot).

You're trying to figure out what ports you have, and what connector type each port is using. In my case, after rebooting, I had
AppleFrambuffer@0: connector-type 00 02 00 00, port-number 0x7
AppleFrambuffer@1: connector-type 00 04 00 00, port-number 0x5
AppleFrambuffer@2: connector-type 00 04 00 00, port-number 0x6
AppleFrambuffer@3: connector-type 00 04 00 00, port-number 0x7
My understanding is that the 0x19120000 ig-platform-id represents a physical device with 3 display port output ports. My actual hardware is 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 VGA. I didn't care about VGA, but I wanted the DVI and HDMI ports to have the correct connector type. connector type with 02 is is DVI, connector type with 04 is display link, and 08 is HDMI. So I wanted to establish which port was which, and get the right connector type. To do this, I used the patches earlier in this thread which apply changes to AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext via the KextsToPatch section of the Graphics tab in Clover Configurator. Plugging in one monitor at a time and booting, and going into ioreg, I determined that for my system, port 5 was my HDMI port, and port 6 was my DVI port. You can tell because in the tree in ioreg, you'll see a child representing the monitor under the port it's connected to. I ignored port 0x0. I applied the following patches:

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.11-SKL-Port_0x6-DP2DVI</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AgQKAAAEAACHAQAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AgQKAAACAACHAQAA
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.11-SKL-Port_0x5-DP2HDMI</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AQUJAAAEAACHAQAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AQUJAAAIAACHAQAA
</data>
</dict>

Note that these are the values you see if you open config.plist in a text editor; if you open Clover Configurator and open your config, you'll see long alpha-numeric strings. Note that the replace bucket will have a prominent "00020000", "00040000", "00080000" or something else in the middle, so you can just change those to the right connector type for your port for each port you want to configure.

Finally I applied the AGDPFix.app, and was able to boot with one monitor on and one off, and turn on the second monitor at the desktop, and have it come on. Which monitor you start with seems to be specific to your setup, try it one way then the other to figure out which works best. In my case, on the first try, my DVI monitor's "on" light sort of rapidly pulsed but the screen didn't come on. I tried it with the other monitor first, and the second one came on at the desktop perfect.

As of 10.11.4 Skylake Intel HD 530 integrated graphics are working correctly in OS X- full acceleration without any of the previous graphical artifacts.
Use Inject Intel=No or Inject Intel=Yes with ig-platform-id=0x19120000.

What is the ig-platform-id for laptops?

I have an Asus z170 rig running the i7-6700k graphics. A bit nervous about updating to Sierra since I just barely got El Capitan running smoothly. Can anyone tell me if it is safe yet to update to Sierra? And if so, how should I go about it? I've read the threads from Tony about doing it, but there are so many comments saying that things went wrong...

I have an Asus z170 rig running the i7-6700k graphics. A bit nervous about updating to Sierra since I just barely got El Capitan running smoothly. Can anyone tell me if it is safe yet to update to Sierra? And if so, how should I go about it? I've read the threads from Tony about doing it, but there are so many comments saying that things went wrong...
As it stands, currently there is glitching in the top left corner of the menu bar in macOS Sierra when using Intel HD530. If you're not in a hurry to update it could be worth waiting until its been fixed and stay with El Capitan.
For the update if you have a stable system in El Capitan, there should be little to no trouble with update itself.

As it stands, currently there is glitching in the top left corner of the menu bar in macOS Sierra when using Intel HD530. If you're not in a hurry to update it could be worth waiting until its been fixed and stay with El Capitan.
For the update if you have a stable system in El Capitan, there should be little to no trouble with update itself.

Attempted to update to Sierra, but when I booted from install, it gave me some Bios errors it looks like, it starts with +++++++++++++++++++=

Then went to saying kernel version....

Not sure where I went wrong, I chose Without Cache and everything...

Last edited:
Attempted to update to Sierra, but when I booted from install, it gave me some Bios errors it looks like, it starts with +++++++++++++++++++=

Then went to saying kernel version....

Not sure where I went wrong, I chose Without Cache and everything...

Update BIOS to the latest version, had the same problem on GA-H170-GAMING 3 with BIOS revision 1

Update BIOS to the latest version, had the same problem on GA-H170-GAMING 3 with BIOS revision 1

I actually am running the Asus z170 now... but I updated BIOS and got this... Its not the greatest image, but my phone was having trouble focusing and the screen only stays like that for a moment...

Attachments

• IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 231
I actually am running the Asus z170 now... but I updated BIOS and got this... Its not the greatest image, but my phone was having trouble focusing and the screen only stays like that for a moment...

It looks like it's crashing out at the SKL graphics driver (the Intel 530 driver) and you're using the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS.

If you had a fully working el cap system, did you have graphics patches in your clover config? If so, those patches were probably only valid for el cap; they probably won't work with sierra (the patches do a find and replace for specific binary sequences in the compiled kexts as I understand it, and that stuff can change between minor releases and typically changes for sure during major releases). I would look at the patches you have configured and try to remove most of them, while also simplifying your setup by using one monitor connected to the DVI out of your internal GPU.

FWIW this is why I always have two bootable disks, one to mess around with, and one known good one to fall back to if something goes wrong. You can also use the bootable USB stick for this purpose, but of course that brings you to the installer GUI, and I like to go to the desktop.

I'm still on el cap. My understanding is that for my board, I can do an update to sierra in place, but should anything go wrong I'll be ready to do a clean install.

The patches remain the same in macOS Sierra for HD530 using the 0x00001219 framebuffer as they were in El Capitan. No changes yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back