Contribute
Register

Skylake Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics Working as of 10.11.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the Gigabyte H-170 WIFI Motherboard and Intel Skylake i5-6500 CPU. Does anyone know if I can do 2560 x 1440 via one of my HDMI ports on the mobo? I've been reading that OSX only does 1080p via HDMI but there might be some work arounds? Any info would be appreciated!

That should be doable. If there's a limit, then a patch can probably fix it. For example, I tried a USB-C to VGA adapter which wouldn't go higher than 160 MHz. I patched the Skylake driver so it will allow up to 360 MHz (but the adapter tops out at 330 MHz).

There are HDMI to DisplayPort adapters. I think they are limited to 4K @ 30 Hz. I have one that let me do 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz. I'll see if I can find a display that can do 4K @ 30 Hz. Maybe I'll try the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter with an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and try connecting to the big screen TV.

There are HDMI to VGA adapters. The one I got let me do 190 MHz (but I think it's supposed to only allow 165 MHz?). That's not very good compared to the USB-C to VGA adapter I have.

I got HDMI to Dual Link DVI to work with my Apple 30" Cinema Display 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz. This used the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter.

I'll try those adapters on a Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 (which only has a DVI and a HDMI 1.4 port) and let you know how it goes.

SwitchResX has a good GTF, CVT, and CVT-RB calculator that I use to make custom screen resolutions to match the max pixel clocks of the adapters and the max horizontal and vertical refresh rates of the display.

The Intel Graphics control panel in Windows lets you make custom resolutions without restarting the computer. It doesn't show the pixel clock of the resolutions you create, so you should have a GTF, CVT, or CVT-RB calculator handy (maybe another Mac running SwitchResX).

Ubuntu has the xrandr (shows and adds resolutions, and EDID), cvt, and gtf command lines. Ubuntu also lets you look at the DCPD info from the DisplayPort adapters (but I guess you won't see the info for the DisplayPort of the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter).
/sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/

There are online GTF, CVT calculators and EDID viewers (to translate the hex output).

I've got the Gigabyte H-170 WIFI Motherboard and Intel Skylake i5-6500 CPU. Does anyone know if I can do 2560 x 1440 via one of my HDMI ports on the mobo? I've been reading that OSX only does 1080p via HDMI but there might be some work arounds? Any info would be appreciated!
On the Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5, the DVI is actually HDMI 1.4 just like the HDMI port, so both the DVI and HDMI ports were able to do 3840x2160@30Hz (297MHz) in Mac OS X without any problem.

They were also both able to do 2560x1440@60Hz (241.5MHz) and 2560x1600@60Hz (268MHz) using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter for my Dell 5K monitor, and an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter for my Apple 30" Cinema Display. This was in Ubuntu though. Even with the 4K patch for Mac OS X, the screens would quickly go blank for no apparent reason. There may be a way to patch that to make the driver fail less but I haven't found it yet. If you're monitor has HDMI input, then you will probably avoid my problems with these adapters or maybe you can get some adapters that will work without problems.

Hello guys, I just found out about this thread. Been succesfully running a Skylake machine in my studio with a GTX 970 for months now. I would rather take out the 970 and put it in my home computer though if I can run the following screens from the cpu/motherboard.

Motherboard: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU: Skylake i7 6700k
Screen 1: 21:9 2560 x 1080 LG monitor that can do 75hz
Screen 2: Wacom 1920 x 1080 60hz

I was thinking a USB-C to displayport adapter for the first and direct HDMI for the second screen.

Would that all work? Has anyone tested something like this? Multiple screens, one over 1080p?

Thanks!

Hello guys, I just found out about this thread. Been succesfully running a Skylake machine in my studio with a GTX 970 for months now. I would rather take out the 970 and put it in my home computer though if I can run the following screens from the cpu/motherboard.

Motherboard: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU: Skylake i7 6700k
Screen 1: 21:9 2560 x 1080 LG monitor that can do 75hz
Screen 2: Wacom 1920 x 1080 60hz

I was thinking a USB-C to displayport adapter for the first and direct HDMI for the second screen.

Would that all work? Has anyone tested something like this? Multiple screens, one over 1080p?

Thanks!
That will definitely work in Windows. Some people say they've gotten it to work in Mac OS X, but I haven't.

On the Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5, the DVI is actually HDMI 1.4 just like the HDMI port, so both the DVI and HDMI ports were able to do 3840x2160@30Hz (297MHz) in Mac OS X without any problem.

They were also both able to do 2560x1440@60Hz (241.5MHz) and 2560x1600@60Hz (268MHz) using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter for my Dell 5K monitor, and an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter for my Apple 30" Cinema Display. This was in Ubuntu though. Even with the 4K patch for Mac OS X, the screens would quickly go blank for no apparent reason. There may be a way to patch that to make the driver fail less but I haven't found it yet. If you're monitor has HDMI input, then you will probably avoid my problems with these adapters or maybe you can get some adapters that will work without problems.

Man I have a Dell 5k like you, and the Intel HD 530 via DisplayPort 1.2 (4k60hz without artifacts). BUT I don't have a 1440p HiDPI resolution, only 1080p that is way too big. Can you tell me if you use it with 2160p or 1080p HiDPI or if you resolved the issue?

Man I have a Dell 5k like you, and the Intel HD 530 via DisplayPort 1.2 (4k60hz without artifacts). BUT I don't have a 1440p HiDPI resolution, only 1080p that is way too big. Can you tell me if you use it with 2160p or 1080p HiDPI or if you resolved the issue?
I like 2560x1440 (not scaled, not HiDPI) for gaming, just for the faster frame rates even though my graphics card can do 4K fine.

First, make sure HiDPI modes is enabled.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...de-on-external-display-in-os-x-10-9-mavericks

You should see a 2560x1440 HiDPI mode now. If not then you can make HiDPI resolutions with SwitchResX by creating a scaled resolution that is twice the height and width of the desired HiDPI resolution. So for 1440p HiDPI, you need to create a scaled resolution of 5120x2880.

I like 5696x3204, because it gives me a HiDPI mode of 2848x1602 which is similar to the height of my old Apple 30" Cinema Display (2560x1600).

In SwitchResX, double click the HiDPI resolution in the Current Resolutions list to make sure it is using the 3840x2160 as the active resolution. If it isn't then set the "Scale resolution base" in SwitchResX to 3840 x 2160.

I'm avoiding 5K for now.

Anyone have issues with glitches with the Intel HD530? I see blue glitches in the menubar but everything else works ok.

Anyone have issues with glitches with the Intel HD530? I see blue glitches in the menubar but everything else works ok.
You need to be more specific when you say "everything". Can you change resolutions? Does it show "Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB 1536 MB"? What kind of port are you using? Are you using any adapters? What screen resolution/refresh rate are you using when the glitch appears? I don't see glitches unless I'm using some adapter or if the graphics driver did not load properly.

You need to be more specific when you say "everything". Can you change resolutions? Does it show "Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB 1536 MB"? What kind of port are you using? Are you using any adapters? What screen resolution/refresh rate are you using when the glitch appears? I don't see glitches unless I'm using some adapter or if the graphics driver did not load properly.

By everything I mean it works fine in all applications, but there is a "glitch" right before it loads to the desktop (the Apple logo glitches for a moment) then the menu bar has "sprinkled" gpu glitch around the text.

I can change resolutions without a problem. Not sure how to change refresh rate on monitor, its a 27" Apple Cinema Display connected via DisplayPort to Mini Display port adapter.

If I use the AMD GPU all is clean and no glitches (with the exact same adapter).

(Note I'm switched to AMD at the moment) but info below.

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 1.11.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 7.02.56 PM.png

(note the blue apple logo)

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 1.14.48 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back