Contribute
Register

Skylake HWP Enable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slice said:
With Clover-4016 you can set HWPEnable=true and Generate P-States=true and Clover will generate SSDT table with only plugin-type=1 without actual p-states.

Indeed when HWP is enable it does not need PM ssdt, main purpose for use of PM ssdt is made sure X86PlatformPlugin & AGPMEnabler are loaded.

Just check HWPEnable from Clover, let HWPValue empty on Sierra, it work very good. I use iMac 17,1 SMBIOS because I want to generate my PM ssdt by ssdtprgen.sh without any error, iMac 14.1 or 2 should be more compatible.

For El Capitan, may need check UseARTFrequency & input HWPValue, like 0x60002701 for i3-7100, 0x60002301 for G4560.
Could you upload your config.plist of i3 7100&Sierra for memo?

Could you upload your config.plist of i3 7100&Sierra for memo?

Attached for your reference.

I use FakeCPUID 0x0306a0 & add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to disable XCPM in my config.plist, use 0x0506e3 can enable XCPM but seem to be must worse.

Attachments

• ms7996.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 184

Attachments

• HWP only idle.png
    HWP only idle.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 947
  • XCPM on idle.png
    XCPM on idle.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,053
  • XCPM&HWP on idle.png
    XCPM&HWP on idle.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 811
Can you tell me what is the FakeCPUID value of i5-6600k?
Hello,
I am not an expert on CPU power management, but I followed the ssdt guide and generate a ssdt.aml to put in clover. I have been using this set up for awhile, but thenI saw this thread. So I have a few questions:
1. which one is better, HWP or ssdt. I have tried both and the Geekbench scores are very closed.
2. I found that using HWP, the x86platformplugin will disappear in IORegistryExploer. Does this matter?
3. If I set the green value to 00, would it harm my CPU?

Thank you for this post. :)

XCPM & HWP mode comparison
Hi, I tried both HWP and the dsdt methods for PW, and I get more frequency states with HWP. However, I will be missing x86platformplugin when I look at IORegistryExplorer. Is that okay? for disabling xcmp, do I need to check or uncheck the boot flag -xcmp?

thanks for the guide.

Hi, I tried both HWP and the dsdt methods for PW, and I get more frequency states with HWP. However, I will be missing x86platformplugin when I look at IORegistryExplorer. Is that okay? for disabling xcmp, do I need to check or uncheck the boot flag -xcmp?

thanks for the guide.

For Kabylake CPU, do not enable both XCPM & HWP, frequency will not shift, Skylake CPU can enable both.

On Sierra, XCPM mode is base on CPU ID, boot flag -xcpm is useless, use FakeCPUID 0x0306a0 will disable XCPM (need add
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext).

For unsupported Kabylake Pentium CPU like G4560, enable HWP is the only way to get full CPU PM.

Use ssdtprgen.sh to generate PM ssdt, or use Clover r4035 to generate ssdt, just check generate PStates / CStates, it will enable x86platformplugin.

Hello,
I am not an expert on CPU power management, but I followed the ssdt guide and generate a ssdt.aml to put in clover. I have been using this set up for awhile, but thenI saw this thread. So I have a few questions:
1. which one is better, HWP or ssdt. I have tried both and the Geekbench scores are very closed.
2. I found that using HWP, the x86platformplugin will disappear in IORegistryExploer. Does this matter?
3. If I set the green value to 00, would it harm my CPU?

Thank you for this post. :)

1. It is hard to say which (HWP or XCPM control) is better, if base on performance, not know. If base on power consumption then absolutely HWP. Unlike previously, PM ssdt is very important to CPU. Now the main purpose of PM ssdt is to ensure x86platformplugin is loaded.

2. Previous version of Clover will stop to generate CpuPm ssdt if HWP is enable, therefore we use ssdtprgen.sh. Recently version will generate a null CpuPm ssdt (without any PStates) if HWP is enable, that make sure x86platformplugin is loaded.

3, I do not think it will harm your CPU, if you are running Sierra, basically no need to input HWPvalue. Since Sierra 10.12.2, I no longer input the HWP value, HWP seem to complete optimised by Apple. May be HWP will be standard on next version of MacOS.

My experience :

I have the feeling that with the 17,1 System Definition I have got less glitches waking out from power saving. I did notice some little freezes waking out and some crashes with the first app I was launching immediatly after.

Looking arround, I have also found out a little difference when using SSDT-i7-6700K.aml or WHPEnable, I don't remember If this was the same with the 14,2 System Definition but I have got different Power Saving options with each method :

View attachment 240374 View attachment 240375

I will continue with 17,1 and SSDT-i7-6700K.aml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back