Contribute
Register

Skylake HD530 - Sleeps but won't wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Tip for anyone using HD 530 and can't wake display up after it sleeps - try this as a workaround:

I am using the Intel HD 530 via HDMI 2.0 to a 4k monitor, it is running very smoothly (with the pixel clock patch). However, as described in this thread, my machine can sleep and wake but the display will not receive any signal after:
  • turning it off and back on again
  • putting the display to sleep (including with a hot corner)
If I screenshare with my hack using my MBP, I have found that changing the scaling/other display settings once or twice makes the display wake back up (as long as the display is not in power standby at the time - it seems to need to be powered on and looking for a signal).

In light of this, I have found an app called QuickRes. It has a keyboard shortcut feature to toggle between resolutions of your choice. I am now using this after I have turned my display off, and back on, to force it to wake up, and it has been working successfully.
Hi, I tried this software. Doesn't work for me. Anyone has any other solution to wake display from sleep?

Motherboard
Gigabyte z170 HD3P
CPU
Core i5 6400
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just found out that while sleep is not working, hibernate does (almost as fast), when enabled through sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

Would be super interested in whether this can be recreated on other boards.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just found out that while sleep is not working, hibernate does (almost as fast), when enabled through sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

Is this just to get sleep functionality working, or so your display wakes back up AFTER sleep?

Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5-4440
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro

It works for me with Intel HD 4600. This is the best workaround so far!
Thanks.

Motherboard
Gigabyte z170 HD3P
CPU
Core i5 6400
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is this just to get sleep functionality working, or so your display wakes back up AFTER sleep?
Essentially in Sleep macOS saves the system state to RAM, whereas in Hibernate it saves it to the SSD/Harddrive. Hibernate is a little slower, but sleep requires a continuous amount of energy going towards powering the RAM, whereas in Hibernate the Computer doesn't require energy.

It works for me without errors, it wakes up just fine by pressing the computer's power button, with no display issues. However I didn't conduct any testing beyond my setup.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z370N-Wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Essentially in Sleep macOS saves the system state to RAM, whereas in Hibernate it saves it to the SSD/Harddrive. Hibernate is a little slower, but sleep requires a continuous amount of energy going towards powering the RAM, whereas in Hibernate the Computer doesn't require energy.

It works for me without errors, it wakes up just fine by pressing the computer's power button, with no display issues. However I didn't conduct any testing beyond my setup.

Can anyone confirm this is working for them (sleep, wake, display) with their boards? This could be the workaround we've all been hoping for. Thanks @laurajuliette

Can anyone confirm this is working for them (sleep, wake, display) with their boards? This could be the workaround we've all been hoping for. Thanks @laurajuliette

I'm pleased to say this workaround does work!! I'm running a Gigabyte H170-N using the HD530 stock graphics. Running El Capitan 10.11.6. I went as far as a clean install and could not solve the problem. Run sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 in terminal, and you're good to go.

Enjoy.

Motherboard
Asus TUF Z690 Plus D4
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT (spoofed)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm pleased to say this workaround does work!! I'm running a Gigabyte H170-N using the HD530 stock graphics. Running El Capitan 10.11.6. I went as far as a clean install and could not solve the problem. Run sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 in terminal, and you're good to go.

Enjoy.
Run sudo pmset -a hibernate mode 25 How to reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.