Contribute
Register

Skylake HD530 - Sleeps but won't wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
If i use a compatible discrete graphics card and use the hdmi out from the motherboard, will it wake from sleep?my idea is to buy the cheapest card to get the wake from sleep working and not to use the card's output which will be worse than the integrated gpu hd 530.

Thanks.
If you're looking to buy a discreet GPU then my advice would be to get one with better performance and compatibility than HD530. There is a hierarchy chart here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

You can see where your HD530 currently compare against discreet GPU's from the chart and depending on budget you can see what card you could stretch too. This way you could get good graphics performance and move away from HD530 altogether. Best compatibility in macOS Sierra would be Nvidia at this time.
Graphics Cards

Be aware that just adding a graphics won't automatically allow your system to sleep/wake. There may be factors preventing sleep/wake but at this time HD530 would be the main factor.

Last edited:
I have my Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac running pretty stable on Sierra. I put this together in December and have been running into the issue of the display coming back from display sleep. The machine crashes on sleep, so i have turned that off and just set the display to go to sleep after 15min. Sometimes when i try to bring the screen back on after the screen has gone blank, I am getting a WindowServer crash showing up under Sierra's System Reports in the console. At which point, my machine is not able to turn back the monitor. I have tried turning off and on the monitor but no luck. One time, I actually got some sort of signal with a distorted green colored splash screen. No Mac desktop.

I am using the built in HD 530 video on i6700k. I have acceleration working with the HD 530 fix in MultiBeast. I also have the upper left menu bar video glitch fix in place. From the crash report, it looks like a graphics problem. If I use the HDMI 2.0 or DP that provides 4K in 60Hz i get this problem every time screen is put to sleep(either via hot corners or via system sleep). On regular HDMI with 4K in 30Hz it happens but not that often. I have to restart as even the shutdown shortcut on the Mac does not shut the machine down. I hear a beep though and no shutdown. I have attached the content of the crash.

"Assertion failed: (false && "10 seconds of continuous GPU Driver unreadiness, relaunching WindowServer"), function void IMGGraphicsStackReadinessFailure(), file Server/Windows/Updater.cc, line 2860."

Anyone have experience with resolving this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have experience with resolving this? Help would be greatly appreciated.
My situation is the same, also waiting for a solution. Searched for it extensively at the end of December, did not find one.

Looks like PikerAlpha is working on something. I currently don't use a DSDT so I'm going to give his solution a try (and see if it breaks my system)

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/01/12/debugging-sleep-issues/

Bah using the SSDT/DSDT posted it kernel panics my system. I guess I'll turn off sleep until I track down a Display Port cable.

Last edited:
I tried setting sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 and putting my mac to sleep. It turned off as expected, but when I booted back up I got to the clover screen and my OSX boot partition was missing! I had to reinstall the OS which was quite the hassle. Not sure if this would happen to someone else, but be careful.

Like others here, when I put my mac to sleep it can be waked fine up until the hardware starts sleeping (fans turn off, LED starts blinking). After that point, if I wake it the fans start up but my display remains black. I tested to see if it was just a display problem by connecting my computer to a laptop via ethernet and I can confirm that the system really has crashed and isn't just not displaying.

I also tried disconnecting my monitor from my computer to see if that causes problems, but it actually resumed fine when plugged back in.

I also found a semi solution to the sleep wake problem. If you set your Mac to never sleep in power settings, then, if you leave it for a while, instead of doing a hardware sleep it will just do a display sleep. This kind of sleep I found doesn't crash the system, but does make the screen become stuck black. The workaround I found was "waking up" the OS by pressing space, entering my password, and running an AppleScript (via alfred hotkey) that rotates the display by 90 degrees and back all without any visual input. The rotation at least for me makes the screen work again. It's not a true sleep, but it does keep the display from always being on and with the trick I can resume without error every time.

Here's the AppleScript if you want to try the trick yourself:
Code:
  tell application "System Preferences"
    activate
    set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.displays"
  end tell
  delay 0.8
  tell application "System Events"
    tell process "System Preferences"
        tell window "DELL P2415Q" -- Replace this with the name of your monitor
            click pop up button "Rotation:" of tab group 1
            keystroke "90" & return
            delay 4
            keystroke return
        end tell
    end tell
  end tell

Last edited:
Would be curious if the latest OS X update today made a difference. Apparently they made changes to the drivers for the video. Any brave sole want to try and report back? I would give it a try but want to make sure I have a clear plan for applying or reapplying the nvme hack from rehabman.

Would be curious if the latest OS X update today made a difference. Apparently they made changes to the drivers for the video. Any brave sole want to try and report back? I would give it a try but want to make sure I have a clear plan for applying or reapplying the nvme hack from rehabman.
it doesn't :(

Hi guys, I have the same problem with HD530.
These are my specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro
CPU: i7 6700k
As there is still not fix, do you know a command to disable sleep completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back