Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7970 x2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
It's my first time trying to get a hackintosh going, and I've been reading all of the threads and guides here, but have seemingly hit a bit of a brick wall.... Probably a rookie mistake, but I am unsure of exactly what I have done wrong, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a GA-Z170x-UD5 TH (latest firmware-f4b)
i5-6600k
32GB RAM (2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance)- took out one of the modules just in case for now.

I made the boot USB with Unibeast 6.1.1 with OSX El Capitan 10.11.2, UEFI/USB

In bios I made sure to:
Load optimized defaults
Disable the serial port
Disable IOAPIC 24-119
Set OS to Win 8 WHQL (also tried other os)
Disable CSM

I made the suggested edits to the config file in the skylake starter thread, and also tried using
carsonp's CLOVER folder but no matter what I do I keep on running into the issue that when I boot the install OSX step, I wind up with the apple logo and a progress bar that goes nowhere. I've made sure to remove all devices from the mobo and am connected to my monitor via the onboard GPU HDMI.

When I boot in verbose mode, I can see that the last step it gets to is:
ACPOSensors (Tz00): started
000001.457781 AppleUSBLegacyRoot@: AppleUSBLegacyRoot::init:enabling legacy matching
ANFIlo

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, or what setting is holding things up, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :)

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 351
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 1,042
Been thinking about upgrading my motherboard from a Z77X to the GA-Z170x-UD5 TH to utilize thunderbolt. Any luck with it running smooth on OS X?

You should remove the CPUSensors kext and any other FakeSMC plugins -- depending on the specific build those are reasonably likely to give you trouble and it will be easier to not worry about that until you're up and running.

If that doesn't do it, try setting XHCI Handoff = enabled in BIOS. Alternately, set Devices / USB / FixOwnership = true in config.plist.

I got the i5 6600k and gigabyte z170x ud5 th combo working finally. What was hanging things up for me on the installer was USBFixOwnership was set to false, so changed it: USB FixOwnership set to TRUE to fix "AppleUSBLegacyRoot enabling legacy matching" at boot issue.

Running pretty smooth - testing components now, but quite happy with the results so far! I attached my EFI folder in case it is of some help to anyone out there.

I also had to secure erase/zero out my usb, and re-download El Capitan installer file from app store since I was running into other issues with install not completing.

Regarding Thunderbolt: When I look in About this mac and do the system report, osx says Thunderbolt- No Hardware was found. I read that other people still haven't had success with this yet either... I'm assuming I'll need to address in Multibeast once/if there is a patch available? I will try to boot in windows and see if there is a need to enable the thunderbolt port in that os first as I read that in older TB2 hackintoshes, that led to TB showing up for some people.

In any case- thank you all for helping me along on my first hackintosh... I'll be benchmarking today... Also going to research the benefits/pitfalls of trying to overclock the processor on this system.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 845
Hello Wonderfilm,

Thanks for your post, you are actually trying brand new hardware which could be very challenging. So glad you are doing this! I'm running 10.10 on an older motherboard, Gigabyte z77x-up5 TH, which was one of the first ones with Thunderbolt. It's been very good btw.

I have an old M-audio Project Mix audio interface that connects via firewire, and has not been supported since 10.7, but the 10.7 drivers still somewhat work. In 10.8.5 I get audio and access to all the interface configurations. In 10.10 I get audio only, it freezes when I try to configure it. 10.11 completely unsupported (unless I change the security option in mac as I read somewhere)

Anyhow, I don't yet have thunderbolt equipment, but out of curiosity I powered off my computer, connected this audio interface through the thunderbolt port using these cables and rebooted:

M-audio Project Mix > FW 400 to FW 400 cable > FW 400 to FW 800 adaptor > FW 800 to Thunderbolt cable> Computer.

I was gladly surprised when the I noticed that the audio interface was working the same way as when connected via firewire. My system report stills shows "thunderbolt: no hardware found", but bottom line it is working. The key is to power on the thunderbolt equipment (in this case audio interface) before the computer. I know this might not necessarily apply to your set up, but if you have any firewire drives or equipment, you could test the same way. A friend of mine just got an audio interface that uses thunderbolt, I'm going to ask him to bring it over to test it.

I hope your build is working so far.

Cheers!

Hi wonderfilm,

I've got pretty much the same setup as you but with i7-6700K and (waiting for) EVGA Geforce 980. This is my first attempt at a Hackintosh, as well, after being a MacBook Pro user for 7 years.

I was wondering if you had a soup-to-nuts install process you could share. I'm willing to update with anything that I discover as I go through the process.

Thanks to everyone for the information they've been posting, and thank you wonderfilm for posting the EFI. I hadn't initially realized the EFI file was there and level of effort so many folks have invested to get to this point. That's a noob for ya'...

I'll post back later on my progress including the addition of the video card.

TIA

--Follow-On--
I got it set up and limping along, especially display. I wiped to reinstall but cannot recreate, following same process. Linux Mint 17.3 works out-of-the-box and Windows 7 needed driver help. Being so new to the process, it's probably worth my time to sit patiently and wait, as well as hone the necessary skills. I'm tapping out.

Thanks everyone on TonyMacX86 for what you do!

Last edited:
So regarding Thuderbolt/usb3.1/usb-c port- today I received a USB3.1-Type-C To SATA 22 Pin 2.5 Inch Hard Disk Adapter in the mail. Unfortunately, it does not work in OSX. Tested it in Windows 10 where it is fully functional, but in El Capitan, Disk Utility etc doesn't see the port at all or any volumes attached to it. Made sure to boot with the drive attached before powering up, in windows installed the Thunderbolt Driver that Gigabyte offers Windows users for the GA-170X ud5-th as well and made sure that Thunderbolt was enabled in bios and that thunderbolt security was set to legacy mode. (based on what some people do to get TB2 working on older gigabyte motherboards) Continue to get no thunderbolt recognition in System preferences as well though for now. Not sure if there are other settings I should tinker with.
Not sure what else I can do to test as there really aren't many thunderbolt 3 products on the market and the Startech TBT3TBTADAP thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter seems overpriced to me at $80. Will pick up a TB3 HD enclosure when they are more widely available and there are some decent budget options to test more, however hopefully by then apple will have released more skylake/TB3 computers and implementation on the hackintosh side of the fence will be more complete.

One other thing that is slightly frustrating at the moment is trying to get 4k@60HZ to my Vizio M49-C1 monitor display. The display is capable of 4k@60HZ when connected via HDMI 2.0 to its HDMI input #5 according to its manual. I've read that AMD 7970's should be capable of driving 4k @60HZ in osx via displayport with an active adapter. I bought a Club3D CAC-1070 Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD (CAC-1070) active adapter that should work at 60Hz with an HDMI 2.0 cable, however when I try to create a custom profile in switchresx for 3840 pixels × 2160 @ 60HZ, I get a black screen when selecting it in the Daemon. Not sure if I am inept with setting up a proper profile in switchresx, or if I am running into a hackintosh related issue or an inherent osx issue with this, but it would be nice to sort out if anyone has any advice.

The UP5 was an amazing board and that system served me well for years. I just sold it though and now I'm setting up a system based on this ud5 TH board. So there will be more help and info soon.

RE thunderbolt though- it has never fully worked in OS X. Hot-plug doesn't work and the OS does not recognize the ports as thunderbolt. It does work with almost every device though, but the device has to be connected and powered before the system boots and it works via more or less basic PCIe connection (though daisy chaining works too). I would expect thunderbolt 3 to be the same. You will need thunderbolt 3 devices or adapters to TB1/2 and the system should see them as PCIe devices if they are connected at boot. This will still be very useful once these devices and adapters are more readily available and the added PCIe bandwidth of thunderbolt 3 will make fast external RAID arrays and other Pro devices more useful.

USB 3.1 as far as i know is not supported yet in OS X though I have seen at least one device advertised for OS X so perhaps there are some custom drivers available. Until apple adds USB 3.1 support or someone creates a driver a-la GenericUSBXHCI.kext for 3.1 these devices won't be recognized. Thats why your SATA adapter doesn't work.

Looking forward to hacking on this a bit and will let you all know if i come up with anything interesting. Its early days for skylake and especially this cutting edge board. Its always a bit of a risk going in this early, but i consider it likely apple will support all of this tech in the coming months. Also looking forward to seeing the HD 530 graphics made useful.

g\

I tried a device advertised as a USB 3.1 flash drive on the non-Thunderbolt USB 3.1 Type C port and USB 3.1 Type A port on my ASRock with the Generic USB XHCI driver.

I can't tell for sure whether it's actually USB 3.1 (as opposed to 3.0) and working at USB3.1 speed, since the drive isn't fast enough to distinguish and the devices on the GenericUSBXHCI ports don't show up in system info to compare the connection speed. But at least it functioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back