Intel i5-6600
Graphics
HD-530
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just finished hard part of my build. Stuffing the Gigabyte H170N-WIFI motherboard into the G4 Cube.

I used basic tools to accomplish this.

Dremel, Hacksaw and lots of patience.

It is running great and is soo much faster then my 2015 Macbook w 1.3 Ghz and 8 Gb of ram.

Parts:
Power Mac G4
Gigabyte H170N-WIFI
Intel i5 6600 3.3 Ghz
Crucial 16GBx2 32GB Kit, DDR4 2133
Samsung MZHPU256HCGL 256GB AHCI M.2
Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler (NH-L9I)
2 x Noctua 60x25mm PWM A-Series Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Cooling Fan NF-A6x25 PWM
BCM94352Z NGFF M.2 WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 802.11ac
Small 250W PSU from old case.

Here are some pictures of my build.

Here are some performance results:

Still left to do is get the touch sensor relocated to the other side of cube as the MB is interfering with it.

Create a mount for fan at the top of the case.

Wet sand and polish cube.

Buy another cube as it broke in shipping...
IMG_3022.JPG

Made an account just to say this is absolutely amazing!

How much time and money did this take?!

Also how did you get the G4 Cube to show as your System Identifier Picture?

Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

I used this as a guide to create the Hackintosh http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...kylake-h170n-wifi.178197/page-63#post-1280216 took about 3-4 hours to setup.

All of the components ended up costing about $700 (excluding the ssd hard drive as I had that kicking around my office)

Time wise it took the better part of a day to cut and fab the cube. I took my time so I didn't mess anything up.

To get the cube to show up as my System Identifier I did this http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mod-about-this-mac.79536/

It's was well worth it. I do a lot of iOS and .Net development and this box crushes it. I did a hour long stress test last night and the hottest the CPU was getting was 68 deg C. The two Noctua 60x25mm where spinning fast but they are so quite. I will update with some photos of the fan placement in the case.

I wet sanded and polished the case last weekend.

IMG_3059.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back