Contribute
Register

Skylake G4 cube build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I can. Ill return my MoBo and get the gigabyte one as well as that 200w pico power supply, hopefully that makes my life easier :crazy:

Ordered. Ill post some pics of everyhing once im done

Ordered this wifi / BT card: http://amzn.com/B00JGFA50U
same one as in the thread I linked earlier. I want it all to be as easy as possible, rather intimidated by the OS X config side of it. I have to sell my macbook pro to pay for this hackintosh and need to get it working asap!

I got my new motherobard and all is working well!! I have not put it in the cube case yet but outside of the case OSX and Windows 10 work fine, only issue I have is HDMI audio but Im just going to use the built in sound card an avoid all the hassle, seems to be a common pain in the rear issue.
What a POS that other motherboard was, I games and everying work just fine now and dont make the screen black, didnt need to replace the power supply. the board draws less power and I can leave turbo boost on without issue. Only issue I have now is physical, the SATA ports are right in the way of the cube power touch sensor PCB... I need to do some more cutting and moving of things.
EDIT: DONT remove the metal ring around the top of the touch sensor. Without it, the sensor wont 'sense' your finger through the plastic case; I was able to cut it in 1/2 to make it slimmer and it seems to work just as well.

Last edited:
So I am thinking my video card is bad - frequent video lockups, reboots, etc. I thought initially it was a PSU issue so I got the 200w pico PSU on amazon but continued to have issues. then I did the xbox 360 200w PS mod as my other power brick was rated for 140w, so now I have 200w for both. still having issues.
Returning the 750Ti as it seems likley that is the issue (I am hoping) and getting a 950, the 950 is only 15w more and since I have the 200w power system in place it should be fine. the card is coming in today, wish me luck!!!

Pro tip: the Gigabyte card will NOT fit in the case without some serous mods. its longer than the case itself so it will need to stick out the top or bottom, not recommended. I used it for a little while testing and then it suddenly died and wouldnt display any video, seems like a crappy card to me.

any time I use a PCIE riser card I was getting lock ups - thought it was the riser, tried several different ones, all seemed to freeze up gaming. then for the heck of it I plugged in an old ATX power supply I had laying around and what do you know, anytime I use it there are no issues. I have replaced the pic power supply as well as the power brick with 200W versions so I dont know where the issues lies but its somewhere in the power chain. obviously its not getting enough power or something using the pico unit.

I am sadly abandoning my cube case build - I cant get the PCIe riser to work correctly with any Pico power supply: I tried 3 different Pico power supplies, two different DC power bricks, 4 different PCIe riser cables and all had the same result of freezing when a game was started. If I used a regular ATX power supply to feed the cube it would work fine so I have no idea what is going on. Rather than pull my hair out even more, I found a G4 QuickSilver tower on craigslist for $20 and will be using that instead. theres much more space and the case is fairly standard so its not hard to make it work with the existing components I bought for the cube, I was able to upgrade to a bigger video card too (GTX 960) and 650W power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back