Contribute
Register

[Skylake] Flawless Sleep/Wake on Asus boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
HaltEnabler is on too, is that necessary now?
You can set HaltEnabler to false, also remove dart=0 and ncpi=0x3000 from your boot arguments, those are not needed for your configuration.

You can set HaltEnabler to false, also remove dart=0 and ncpi=0x3000 from your boot arguments, those are not needed for your configuration.

HE set to false, dart and npci removed = same thing.

Oddly, it seems that if I quit an application, then shutdown straight away (via Apple menu) it will reboot. If I shut down with things open, 80% of the time it will shut down correctly.

Also oddly, using the npci flag consistently results in around 800 more Geekbench points.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Mac Pro 6,1 definition. Not so simple to change due to serials and whatnot.

I'll test the long sleep overnight, as if that works, the shutdown bug won't be as much of an issue.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Mac Pro 6,1 definition. Not so simple to change due to serials and whatnot.
Easy to test and find out. Make a copy of your config.plist. Put it on your USB for safe keeping, always good to back up a perfectly working config.plist. With your EFI partition mounted, run MultiBeast and just select Customise > System Definitions > imac17,1 > Build/Install. Restart then test shut down. If the restart goes away you can then have more fun with S/N - MLB - ROM variables. If the problem persists boot up and put back your original config.plist.

Easy to test and find out. Make a copy of your config.plist. Put it on your USB for safe keeping, always good to back up a perfectly working config.plist. With your EFI partition mounted, run MultiBeast and just select Customise > System Definitions > imac17,1 > Build/Install. Restart then test shut down. If the restart goes away you can then have more fun with S/N - MLB - ROM variables. If the problem persists boot up and put back your original config.plist.

Ah yes, good call. I shall do that this evening :¬)

Thanks for your help WW - very much appreciated.

Ah yes, good call. I shall do that this evening :¬)

Thanks for your help WW - very much appreciated.
No problem, If you are signed into iMessage, iCloud when testing disconnect your network connection. Best to stay off Apple's radar booting with a different serial. Just in case.

No problem, If you are signed into iMessage, iCloud when testing disconnect your network connection. Best to stay off Apple's radar booting with a different serial. Just in case.

Very good call, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks again!

Same problem with 17,1 definition. Dang.

Time to test overnight sleep. Fingers crossed - if this works the shutdown bug won't be such an issue.

Same problem with 17,1 definition. Dang.

Time to test overnight sleep. Fingers crossed - if this works the shutdown bug won't be such an issue.
At least you are eliminating possible causes this way. Interested to see if your system wakes after deep sleep. Have you configured your system for USB, such as SSDT creation with USBInjectAll.kext with the Raise port limit patch? If the system doesn't wake I'd suggest implementing this as the next step.

At least you are eliminating possible causes this way. Interested to see if your system wakes after deep sleep. Have you configured your system for USB, such as SSDT creation with USBInjectAll.kext with the Raise port limit patch? If the system doesn't wake I'd suggest implementing this as the next step.

Unfortunately (for me), I found the computer out of sleep this morning, waiting at the login screen (lock screen, not a cold boot login). Upon logging back in by USB audio device was missing, and wifi wouldn't turn on. It also got stuck rebooting. All in all, a bit of a failure :¬)

I use USBInjectAll.kext and all of my ports work. When I originally tried the longer method some ports stopped working. I must admit, although being quite a technical person (ex-programmer), I find the DSDT and SSDT tweaks quit daunting, I can't seem to grasp them fully.

What would you recommend?

Unfortunately (for me), I found the computer out of sleep this morning, waiting at the login screen (lock screen, not a cold boot login). Upon logging back in by USB audio device was missing, and wifi wouldn't turn on. It also got stuck rebooting. All in all, a bit of a failure :¬)

Well that didn't work out as planned. Go into System Preferences/Energy Saver and remove the tick box for Wake for Wi-Fi Network and Ethernet. The only selection I have ticked is put hard disks to sleep when possible. What Wi-Fi card are you using? is it a USB Wi-Fi card by any chance.

I use USBInjectAll.kext and all of my ports work. When I originally tried the longer method some ports stopped working. I must admit, although being quite a technical person (ex-programmer), I find the DSDT and SSDT tweaks quit daunting, I can't seem to grasp them fully.

What would you recommend?
Seems as if your USB's aren't working quite as they should. Your USB audio device wasn't connected/ejected after sleep.
Credit RehabMan documented by ammulder:
RehabMan doesn't recommend using the raise port limit patch permanently with USBInjectAll.kext. The idea is get all your USB ports recognised when USB2/3.0 devices are connected, to document what header and port your devices are connected too. You can inject this either by SSDT - which will inject only the ports you use/have connected for use or with USBInjectAll.kext and a boot flag called -uia_exclude_(the ports you don't have connected/won't use), this will stop USBInjectAll.kext injecting those ports.

So an example would be USB2.0 ports are HSXX and USB3.0 are SSXX, if you didn't want to inject ports HS03, HS08, SS13, SS18 your boot flag would be -uia_exclude=HS03,HS08,SS13,SS18. The idea is getting your working ports down to 15. This is Apple's limit, in return you can remove the raise port limit patch, remember USB3.0 counts as 2 ports and USB2.0 as 1 port. You've got 6 USB3.0 and 8 USB2.0 - Total : 20 Intel ports.
To find out what ports are connected you'll need a USB2.0 and USB3.0 device/thumb drive and IORegistry Explorer located at the bottom of Post#1 here [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com Search>XHC, you'll see the device and what port it is connected to in IORegistry Explorer.

ammulder has written a great guide on how to put an SSDT together and how to go about finding which ports you've got connected for use here 10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide | tonymacx86.com Step7 onwards. I've also documented how I did this in my build description linked in my signature under my Skylake build.

Obviously this is entirely up to you. Looking at your system specs here under USB https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/specifications/ you also have 2x ASMedia USB 3.1/C&A ports on the rear of the motherboard, these are controlled by the ASMedia controller and won't count within the Intel port limit.
Unless you've installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext(3rd Party USB driver) I guess these are not working for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back