RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Folks,

I've started this thread in order to move along testing for the ASUS ThunderboltEX3 PCIe card on Skylake motherboards that have an onboard Thunderbolt3 header such as the following:

Z170-PREMIUM
Z170-DELUXE
Z170-PRO
Z170-A
Z170-AR
SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1
SABERTOOTH Z170 S
MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME
MAXIMUS VIII HERO
MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
X99-DELUXE II
X99-DELUXE
X99-PRO/USB 3.1
X99-PRO
X99-A/USB 3.1
X99-A
X99-A II
X99-E
SABERTOOTH X99
RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1
RAMPAGE V EXTREME

I'm currently testing it on a z170-Deluxe and so far got it installed in Windows 10 x64 with the drivers that came packaged with the card.

See the attached JPG.

I have not been able to load Thunderbolt Hardware in OS X El Capitan or macOS Sierra, i.e. Thunderbolt kexts are not loading.

According to the specs, you have to the PCI-EX16_3 Bandwidth from Auto to 4X because it seems to default to 2X.
It is the PCI-EX slot furthest from the CPU and closest to the Thunderbolt header.

Also, I had to replace the OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi or I couldn't boot. See attached JPG.

Installed latest BIOS v2202 and have set Intel Thunderbolt Technology > Enabled and Security Level > Legacy. BIOS version 0801 introduced support for add-on card support for Thunderbolt.

Still currently testing, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep this targeted at ASUS Thunderbolt3 testing. For GIGABYTE, check out tonymacx86's user build.

Related: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-thunderboltex-3-pcie-expansion-card-spotted.198480/

Attachments

• tb3.JPG
    tb3.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,728
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 1,450
Last edited:
Universal Audio Apollo Twin confirmed to connect. See screenshot. :headbang:

BIOS Settings:
Advanced>Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration>PCI-EX16_3 Bandwidth
Advanced>Advanced\Intel(R) Thunderbolt Configuration>Security Level>Legacy Mode

Although Thunderbolt Hardware info shows Thunderbolt> No drivers are loaded, it does connect. The same behavior was confirmed on my z77x-UP5-TH build.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 12.23.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 12.23.33 PM.png
    983.2 KB · Views: 1,428
Last edited:
Hi, I have the ASUS Z170_A motherboard and the TunderboltEX3, how do you connect the Apollo, with an adapter?

Connect the Apollo to the Mini Display port IN not work for me.

Thanks¡¡

I bought the Apple adapter but not work well, I have a thunderbolt chain with 2 UAD2 satellite and 1 apogee thunder bridge to symphony. Do you test Apple adapter with your Apollo? I'm in Sierra 10.12.1. Thanks¡¡

I bought the Apple adapter but not work well, I have a thunderbolt chain with 2 UAD2 satellite and 1 apogee thunder bridge to symphony. Do you test Apple adapter with your Apollo? I'm in Sierra 10.12.1. Thanks¡¡
Yes. It worked for me in MacOS Sierra after UA confirmed that it was compatible with the latest Apollo Software update.

Is curious, mine work sometimes but in some cases the comp not recognize any device. Do you have this issues?

Hallo,

After 6 weeks of trial and error and just keep trying over and over, I finally succeeded, thanks to ' Dashingncool ' his treat, to get El Capitan dual booting with W7 on my Skylake : Asus Z170 Premium, InteCore i7/6700 and GTX750 Ti. Yet i need thunderbolt for the external soundcard (Apollo twin from UA). But thunderbolt is not working @ all ... :(!

I even tried with an additional Asus Thunderbolt EXII PCIx card. Doesn't works neighter. Even not in W7.

Any help is more than welcome. Also for the bios thunderbolt settings

Thx,
Sj.

Hallo,

After 6 weeks of trial and error and just keep trying over and over, I finally succeeded, thanks to ' Dashingncool ' his treat, to get El Capitan dual booting with W7 on my Skylake : Asus Z170 Premium, InteCore i7/6700 and GTX750 Ti. Yet i need thunderbolt for the external soundcard (Apollo twin from UA). But thunderbolt is not working @ all ... :(!

I even tried with an additional Asus Thunderbolt EXII PCIx card. Doesn't works neighter. Even not in W7.

Any help is more than welcome. Also for the bios thunderbolt settings

Thx,
Sj.
Did you install the drivers for it in Windows? You have to first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back