Contribute
Register

Skylake ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I have the Ex3 thunderbolt card and an Asus z170 Pro Gaming motherboard, does anyone know if this will work as I cannot find the thunderbolt header to connect the card?

thanks
Your mobo doesn't support TB3.

No matter which OsxAptioFix I use, I am unable to boot macOS when I enable TB in the BIOS. TB and Apollo Twin work fine in Windows 10 (I've got that going for me, which is nice).

This is my first build and I've got everything working great except for this card which arrived yesterday.

I can get this working in Windows 10, but am totally stumped for Sierra 10.12.6 :(

I have the card in the lowest slot, nearest the header and I've enabled 4x on that PCIEx Slot.

Had to go back to OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi as OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi & the free2000 caused the waiting for root error. I had to dig around online for but also didn't work, perhaps someone can post one they know works? I have the latest BIOS and theres so many configs, other than No Security I'm not sure what else to try so if anyone has any tips be much appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_6107.jpg
IMG_6109.jpg
IMG_6108.jpg
IMG_6110.jpg

This is my first build and I've got everything working great except for this card which arrived yesterday.

I can get this working in Windows 10, but am totally stumped for Sierra 10.12.6 :(

I have the card in the lowest slot, nearest the header and I've enabled 4x on that PCIEx Slot.

Had to go back to OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi as OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi & the free2000 caused the waiting for root error. I had to dig around online for but also didn't work, perhaps someone can post one they know works? I have the latest BIOS and theres so many configs, other than No Security I'm not sure what else to try so if anyone has any tips be much appreciated.

Cheers

View attachment 273225 View attachment 273226 View attachment 273227 View attachment 273228
It takes a couple of restarts before I can boot with Thunderbolt enabled.

Cheers

View attachment 273225 View attachment 273226 View attachment 273227 View attachment 273228

Turn off the thunderbolt add in card's usb controller. It's the option for Thunderbolt USB support. I've got mine booting now, but still can't get my Apple TB display to work yet. No drivers loaded.

Akitio T3T To Thunder2 100% Works?

I just assembled a z270-a prime build. I've got random halts at logo boot, with the "No" sign. I also have intermittent connects to my Thunderbolt peripherals. Still can't see any patterns - other than the UA Apollo is only discovered after a soft reboot. Never been found after a cold start
I'm guessing the z270 is a bit new still and I'm hoping for more forum activity about it soon.

@beelzebozo
Great job on getting the Apollo to work on a hackintosh! I aspire to be like you in success. I found your video on youtube for the Apollo Twin with the hackintosh build. It gave me the courage to get my own Apollo Twin for my home studio.

I followed all your instructions, but one thing I could not do was use Windows 10 because I don't have it. I only have my Sierra OS on my hackintosh.

My current issue is that I got as far as updating the BIOS on the ASUS Z170 Deluxe. It updated to the current 3504 version. but it seems to have reset the BIOS settings, and I am no longer able to get back into my macOS system. I tried putting what I could find back to the way I had it when i built the machine but now the bios has some features missing like in the USB configuration, the XHCI hand off is missing. I am not sure if this is causing my issue. Right now I'm stuck on what to do. i could use some help. Here are screen shots of whats going on currently. My system hangs on boot up, and, before the BIOS update, I was able to boot up. But, then my graphics card stopped working, and the Apollo wasn't recognized. LOL. I'm a mess right now.

My set up:

Clover
macOS Sierra
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
Core i5
GTX 1060
32GB DDR4 RAMThunderbolt EX 3
Startech adapter to Thunderbolt 2
Apollo Twin MK 2 Duo

Attachments

• IMG_3681.JPG
    IMG_3681.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3682.JPG
    IMG_3682.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3679.JPG
    IMG_3679.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:
@bezaleel7
Set Enable USB and Mouse Simulator to Disable.
Hey beelzebozo.

oh man thank you so much! That worked. my mac os was able to start.

I went out and picked up a hard drive and windows 10. As your video suggested. I installed windows 10, i also installed the thunderboltex 3 drivers that came with the supplied CD. i restarted the computer and booted into sierra after make what ever changes i could in the bios. keep in mind the 3504 bios firm ware is different from your video. The Apollo Twin is still not being reconized by mac OS so im not sure if the thunderbolt card is even activated.

Now i have a new issue. My GTX 1060 card is no longer being reconized. It worked fine before the bios update but now it does not show up in the OS.

I am attaching screen shots to show you what i have going on. Any futher assistance would be greatly appreciated!.

Attachments

• IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3685.JPG
    IMG_3685.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3690.JPG