Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am getting my final component today for my hackintosh system. Are there any guides out there for installing El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX mobo?

I haven't been able to find any yet but it is listed as being compatible so I'm assuming someone must have tried it out successfully

Are there any guides out there for installing El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX mobo?

I'm hoping someone will make a guide too - I'd thought I'd do it but found myself out of my depth when I tried late last year - looking a lot more promising from the new buyers guides.

Yeah! I definitely agree. The main reason I choose to go with the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 mobo was because the red aesthetics fit my red themed build much better and it was only marginally more expensive than the H170 due to a rebate being offered on Amazon :thumbup:

Yeah, I definitely agree. M.2 wireless cards are seemingly newer so there seem to be much more mixed reviews on them right now. Based on some other hackintosh forums I've seen, the Broadcom BCM94352Z is supposed to work OOB with El Capitan (not sure of course because I haven't tried it). I think that's the one I'm going to purchase.

What I'm probably most curious about is whether the Broadcom BCM94356Z is compatible (difference is that it has bluetooth 4.1 as opposed to 4.0) or if there is a compatible Broadcom wifi card that has bluetooth 4.2 (perhaps I'm a bit greedy on this front?).
Did you ever figure out your answer on the Broadcom BCM94356Z on working in your hackintosh build? As far as i know from other people and videos online the BCM94352Z should work.

Did you ever figure out your answer on the Broadcom BCM94356Z on working in your hackintosh build? As far as i know from other people and videos online the BCM94352Z should work.

Yeah I went with the BCM94352Z because the BCM94356Z wasn't compatible! I have yet to start my hackintosh install yet but I am close!

Yeah I went with the BCM94352Z because the BCM94356Z wasn't compatible! I have yet to start my hackintosh install yet but I am close!

I've done a search on Amazon for BCM94352Z, and there seem to be two versions: One has a single cut-out on the connectors, while the other has two. Which one should I look for when buying the card for the Gigabyte GA Z170N Gaming 5?

I've done a search on Amazon for BCM94352Z, and there seem to be two versions: One has a single cut-out on the connectors, while the other has two. Which one should I look for when buying the card for the Gigabyte GA Z170N Gaming 5?

I bought mine from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262382314560?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

But I have heard that you can get it cheaper from Dell directly (like half the price). If I go back, that's what I would do. It's also called the Dell DW1560. It should have 2 cut-out's on the connector. Hope that helps!

Ok, so I am also planning a build with a Mini-ITX board. I need to use the PCIe slot for my graphics card. And I need Wifi and Bluetooth to work since this machine is going upstairs. The more I research this, the more I feel like I'm tumbling down the rabbit hole.

The boards I am specifically looking at is:

Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (like the OP)
Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT

The Z170N board has the following M.2 ports (according to Newegg, verified in the manual):

1 x M.2 Socket 1 connector for the wireless communication module (M2_WIFI)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector on the back of the motherboard

The M.2 slot thing is rather confusing. There are 3 socket types and 4 key configurations, and some cards (SSD, wifi, etc.) support multiple.

Socket 1 (apparently uncommon) is supports A & B keyed configurations.
Socket 2 supports the B key
Socket 3 supports the M key

B & M are for SSD and A & E are for wireless adapters. At least according to Linus.

The Wikipedia article on M.2 doesn't seem to mention A & E connectors (or maybe I'm blind!?).

But if you look at the Broadcom boards they are 4 pins wide starting with pin 1, while on the Wikipedia article it shows 6 pins starting from pin 1 for type B and 5 pins starting from pin 75 on type M. Which for Wifi, B & M is rather useless...

So from what I can tell the Z170N board has a socket 1 connector here (where we're interested in A key):

m2.jpg

And on the underside of the board we have a Socket 3 connector, which takes the M key (for SSD).

So unless I'm missing something, the Broadcom M.2 card cannot be installed on the Socket 3 M.2 slot. It would have to go into that Socket 1 slot... Which looks rather tiny in the picture.. If it has to be installed parallel with the board... would that even fit?

Here is the BCM94352Z card (which looks similar to the BCM94356Z and BCM94356ZAE cards):

BCM94352Z.jpg

The VIII IMPACT only has a single M.2 slot with Wifi installed. That slot is located inside an enclosure:

impact.jpg

From what I've read the connector is rather close to the edge of the board.

In either case I have not been able to find a video or pictures with the existing M.2 chips being removed from either board. So it is difficult to know without inspecting it in person.

Some people have mentioned that they have it working on the Z170N board. How? Can you please share some pictures? Some instructions?

The only other option for Mini-ITX I've been able to come up with is the ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170. Apparently the WiFi card is plugged in via Mini-PCIe. And it has an M.2, which I'm assuming is probably also on the underside? Can the Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD be used on this board? The osxwifi.com website mentions "1 x Original Apple wireless card to Mini PCI-E Adapter".

Are there other Mini-ITX options that let you put in a graphics card? Trying to avoid Micro ATX. Would like to keep the size as small as possible. Trying to put it on my desk without taking up a lot of space.

Ok, so it looks like the ROG Maximus VIII Impact is just like the Z170I Pro Gaming board. It appears to have the same "WiFI GO!" configuration. The Impact has the (newer) U.2 connector for SSD storage instead of an M.2 Socket 3/M slot.

This guide shows how to replace the "WiFi Go!" card with the Broadcom chip:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/bcm94352z-installed-on-asus-z170i-pro-gaming-wifi-and-bt.191274/

I haven't found pictures for replacing the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 yet. Still looking.

Getting a perspective of what size something is and whether it will fit is a bit challenging. For example, the ASRock board I posted earlier uses a half-size Mini PCIe card. A typical PCIe card is about 51mm long (according to osxwifi). The Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD attached to a mini PCIe adapter is 57mm long (according to osxwifi). If 51mm is standard size, I'm guessing half-sized is about 25mm?

Ok, I feel dumb. The Z170I Pro is installed vertically. Had to see it at a different angle....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back