Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First off; Hi everyone, first post on here and first Hackintosh build.
Big thanks to Tonymac and everyone in the OSX86 community for making this all possible.

So my setup is:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2
i5 750
nVidia 7600gt

Install went perfectly, 10.6.2 worked fine, updated, didn't restart, ran multibeast.

Reboot into 10.6.3, nothing but sky blue screen, no mouse cursor, nothing.

Rebooted in safe mode, booted ok, ran multibeast again, installed NVEnabler.

Reboot, still SKY BLUE SCREEN

Stuck!

I'm assuming this is a graphics problem, any advice on where to go now would be much appriciated.

Ok, try this. The 7xxx cards are spotty after 10.6.1, so some users just use the 10.6.1 graphics kexts. I've collected them here:

Here's what to do:

1. Use iBoot and boot to Chameleon screen
2. Select your Snow Leopard install and type -x (safe mode)
3. When you get to the desktop, install Kext Helper b7 through MultiBeast
4. Open Kext Helper b7- it will be in Applications
5. Download and unzip this file: Public/10.6.1-Graphics-Kexts.zip
6. Drag all of the kexts to Kext Helper b7, type your password and click EASY INSTALL
7. Run MultiBeast and select Disk Utilities (both)
8. Reboot
9. ?
10. Joy!

Or if you can't get to the desktop at all just reinstall- and do this before reboot after 10.6.2 Combo Update. Don't worry about 10.6.3- 10.6.2 should work with these kexts. I've not tested it on 10.6.3.

Just noticed- make sure you're using a genuine Retail DVD- which will install 10.6. If you have a rip of something that installs 10.6.2, it is most likely pirated and it will NOT work correctly. There is no such Retail DVD.

Thanks for the quick response Tony.

It's a retail DVD, so no worries there. Just realised through reading your reply though; do I need to do 10.6.2 combo update before 6.3? I assumed it was 10.6.2 being installed, but like you said retail DVD is 10.6

Installed the Kext helper, but I have a problem, I now can't access usb sticks or dvd drive! Seeing as I've only got wireless up here I can't see a way of getting the Kext into OSX! Is this a result of being in safe mode or the update?

I'm thinking I may well go for a reinstall and stick with 10.6.2 at the mo, unless you have any other suggestions?

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. The download from your link to the 10.6.3 combo update didn't work, so I used the one from the apple website here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017 would this have made any difference? It says it's version 1.1, should it be?

mcg241 said:
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. The download from your link to the 10.6.3 combo update didn't work, so I used the one from the apple website here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017 would this have made any difference? It says it's version 1.1, should it be?

Yeah- that's the updated version- there was a small change from the original 10.6.3. Not to worry.

Thanks for the heads up- the link in iBoot + MultiBeast on the blog should download the .dmg directly on the site- just tested it. But in Windows- possibly not. Haven't tested.

I'm trying to reinstall now, reformat the drive in OSX installer, then continue, but now it only tries for like four or five mins then says it can't install. Thought that was normal first time, but no OSX install shows up in Chameleon. Any idea as to why this might be happening?

Solved the install issue..... dirty DVD, oops! Think that may have had something to do with my dinner, school boy error or what!

I have the same problem and I have been working off of the iBoot for the past two weeks.

my setup is:
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
i5 750
geforce 6600

I did the upgrade to 10.6.3 after the install and ran multibeast and rebooted into the sky blue screen without the mouse.

I then rebooted with iBoot and installed NVEnabler and rebooted again into the same blue screen.

I have been checking the forums for possible solutions but rather than continue messing with my install have just settled to using the iBoot dvd whenever I power up my computer, which is not convenient at all.

Any ideas on what I can try next?

My guess is it's something in the dsdt. Using a custom dsdt I never saw the sky blue screen in 10.6.2. Then I updated to 10.6.3 but dropped back to 10.6.2 (I got tired of unplugging/replugging my peripherals after sleep).

I would boot into sky blue the first startup every time using the stock MultiBeast dsdt when I installed 10.6.2 again; a reboot would take me to the desktop. I added NVEnabler back to my Extras folder to fix it but haven't yet fixed a custom dsdt.

Succinctly, the first boot would give me a sky blue screen but a reboot showed me the desktop. Adding NVEnabler fixed it.

Again, I'm only a noob and this is only a guess based on my experience with my box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back