Contribute
Register

SJ_UnderWater's Thin MiniITX Build DQ77KB, i3-3225

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies, sir, you are right.

I have been looking at your patch and working towards it as well, for when I take the plunge into patching my own DSDT.

jp

I include basic instructions for this motherboard's DSDT, see previous posts for more tips.

Intel DQ77KB motherboard available in Australia

Slightly off topic, I know but if you are interest in building a system based on the DQ77KB, I came across a Australian supplier that has stock of the DQ77KB motherboard.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/intel-s1155-mini-itx-dq77kb-motherboard---retail

With Intel all but abandoning this form factor (my opinion), It might be a good chance to get one of these boards for a runout price. I don't know if they ship overseas.

These boards are ideal for use in G4 Cube conversion projects, which I have done one already.

• If you edit the BIOS ROM with Intel's Integrator Toolkit to change the splash image (shrink the image to 70% horizontally if using a widescreen monitor), remove the boot display options, and set Quiet Boot for Chimera (make sure you keep an installer USB around), you won't see any non-Apple imagery during boot. A few unpatched examples.
  • The BIOS also includes an option called "Startup Sound" which plays the Intel sound on the on-board audio (rear green). It might be possible to edit the ROM and replace the sound file with another, including Apple's startup chime.
I'm very interested to these 2 point. Do you have any experience about it?
Thanks

The last two links are mine: I created the (now outdated) examples, and the short video. Someone would have to unpack the ROM and figure out where the resources are, if theyre even there. It's possible the startup sound is stored somewhere else on the board itself.

I have no idea how to do to unpack the ROM, but it would be great!
Are there new example about splash images?

The procedure is the same, it's just that the ROMs I posted are old. Take the images there and do what you like.

Do you make a guide for upgrade to Maverick? Would be very useful!

There is nothing particular about Mavericks that requires a rewrite.
On a different note, I no longer have this board in my possession. It was laying around for a while and I decided to put it in an AIO chassis (the Intel Loop 2150 Touch) and give it to an older family member who will find it much easier and more intuitive (running Windows 8.1) than the old AMD Dell she had.
The "integration" process was very straightforward with both the online video and the printed guide included in the box; all cables were properly labeled, and if you followed my guide above, the box contains all remaining parts necessary, even the special low-profile cooler. The result is a great machine, totally self-contained and competent: WiFi+BT, 1080p, webcam, 10pt multitouch, stereo speakers, etc.
I was not able to hackintosh the AIO because the screen would not make the jump to graphics mode at boot, having tried every available platformID for Capri and chosen the correct panel configuration from the BIOS menu. There are several theories about why this happens (the gray boot screen is fine, but the login screen does not appear, and there is no evidence the display is ever recognized by OS X), but the most likely in my mind is informed by a white paper published by Intel [2] describing the particular implementation of LVDS they use. I have little doubt an AIO chassis using eDP would work, but I haven't verified that any exist. The key difference between eDP and LVDS is eDP has a (limited) ability to negotiate at connection time, whereas LVDS requires both sides to agree on terms before connection.
As such I can provide some support in the future, but most of the work has already been done, check earlier posts in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back