Contribute
Register

Six Sata ports Not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much easier to get a Synology 8 bay NAS server and put all your drives in it and create shared folders on the network. So easy to upgrade drives on a NAS too. The OP should invest in moving your data out of local drives. You have no data loss prevention. If either of your drive dies you lose data. On NAS, I have it setup I can lose one drive and repair automatically.

That card only has two SATA ports. It has jumpers on it that allow you to select whether you want two eSATA, two internal SATA, or one+one.

Edit:
BTW, the eSATA driver will not help you. The controller on that card is natively supported by macOS.

Last edited:
So much easier to get a Synology 8 bay NAS server and put all your drives in it and create shared folders on the network. So easy to upgrade drives on a NAS too. The OP should invest in moving your data out of local drives. You have no data loss prevention. If either of your drive dies you lose data. On NAS, I have it setup I can lose one drive and repair automatically.

Thanks newtype, but Noo,p . I don't won't to do that,,,I really haven't got the time or want of effort to be learning something new right now!!!...I had total redundancy with my previous system....At this point i would rather try and sort this out and get back to the music.. but thanks for the input.

That card only has two SATA ports. It has jumpers on it that allow you to select whether you want two eSATA, two internal SATA, or one+one.

Edit:
BTW, the eSATA drive will not help you. The controller on that card is natively supported by macOS.

Hey pastry chef, thanks, you just reminded me that this is not the card for me so thank you......

Should i go for the one you recommended before,,, considering I'm still on El Capitan....

There are cards with 4 ports on them but they are more expensive. ASM106x supports port multiplier (5 drives per port) but you'd need a separate port multiplier card or enclosure (even more expensive) and possibly DSDT edits to get it working.

There are cards with 4 ports on them but they are more expensive. ASM106x supports port multiplier (5 drives per port) but you'd need a separate port multiplier card or enclosure (even more expensive) and possibly DSDT edits to get it working.

Thanks vulgo.....should i get a starTech 4 Port.

The ASM1061 base card I had in mind is the same one you ended up with. It's been a while since I tested it, but I don't think port multiplier was working with it when I had it in my Mac Pro.

Startech PEXSAT34RH supports 4 internal sata ports on macos according to their site.

Thanks vulgo, that looks like the perfect card though a little pricey but at this point i don't care so ordering now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back