CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I have a skylake build with a GA-Z170X-UD5-TH motherboard and need more Sata connections as six ain't enough for me especially dual booting into El Capitan and Windows 10...Is there a known pic-e to sata card that works that people are using in this configuration...I came across a couple of threads that were a few years old put there seemed to be a bit of disinformation on which one worked. At a pinch i could use one of those hard drive docking things for backing up my drives via usb 3 but that s a bit unattractive .....After realising that that could be done i did a search for a sata to usb3 cable so i could go straight into on of the usb3 headers on the board, but looks like they don't exist... Anyone else in this dilemma that has worked out a solution...

Sorry if this has been done to death but I've not come across it after loads of searching.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a skylake build with a GA-Z170X-UD5-TH motherboard and need more Sata connections as six ain't enough for me especially dual booting into El Capitan and Windows 10...Is there a known pic-e to sata card that works that people are using in this configuration...I came across a couple of threads that were a few years old put there seemed to be a bit of disinformation on which one worked. At a pinch i could use one of those hard drive docking things for backing up my drives via usb 3 but that s a bit unattractive .....After realising that that could be done i did a search for a data to usb3 cable so i could go straight into on of the usb3 headers on the board, but looks like they don't exist... Anyone else in this dilemma that has worked out a solution...

Sorry if this has been done to death but I've not come across it after loads of searching.
How on earth is 6 SATA ports not enough? 1 for windows, 1 for El Capitan & 1 for Optical Drive. Use a NAS if you need more storage. Failing that buy a PCI-E RAID Card they are cheap as chips for software RAID expensive as hell for hardware RAID but should work fine - just make sure you buy a card which is OS X compatible.

On my X58 system i could of been spoilt by 10 Sata ports!!!! But i found that i soon used them up like.....2 for windows boot and data drive. 4 for my OS X which was operating sys/ Large sound libraries/ Audio and samples/ iTunes library. 1 for optical drive. Thats seven, and then i found myself needing a 5TB for all my essential software and data thats always there when doing new builds...Plus it was dead easy to do a clone of my main OS X drive by just sticking another 1 or 2 in there...so thats nine already.

I thought i'd done the research on my motherboard and had bought all the components for quite a while before i finally got around to building it, as i was so busy with other boring things....But i hadn't noticed and realised that 3 of the sata express ports couldn't be used independently of the sata 3 ports.....my bad.

A search on compatible os x compatible cards seems to bring me back to the threads I've already read.

The Nas card sounds interesting, i will have to read up on it , but it just worked so well having all my drive needs in my case all in one neat place.

So yeah, if you know of a card that would work in El capitan for a hack would be most grateful.

On my X58 system i could of been spoilt by 10 Sata ports!!!! But i found that i soon used them up like.....2 for windows boot and data drive. 4 for my OS X which was operating sys/ Large sound libraries/ Audio and samples/ iTunes library. 1 for optical drive. Thats seven, and then i found myself needing a 5TB for all my essential software and data thats always there when doing new builds...Plus it was dead easy to do a clone of my main OS X drive by just sticking another 1 or 2 in there...so thats nine already.

I thought i'd done the research on my motherboard and had bought all the components for quite a while before i finally got around to building it, as i was so busy with other boring things....But i hadn't noticed and realised that 3 of the sata express ports couldn't be used independently of the sata 3 ports.....my bad.

A search on compatible os x compatible cards seems to bring me back to the threads I've already read.

The Nas card sounds interesting, i will have to read up on it , but it just worked so well having all my drive needs in my case all in one neat place.

So yeah, if you know of a card that would work in El capitan for a hack would be most grateful.
Well you don't need a card for NAS - it is a separate network device with its own OS. There are many consumer NAS boxes which are OSX compatible (or you can build your own with a cheap motherboard, case with lots of storage bays and FreeNAS/NAS4Free or similar OS). The whole point of a NAS is it is OS independent and sits on the network with its own IP address and can be used by all devices on the network. Makes far more sense than filling a single desktop machine with a bunch of drives.

Nowadays I have boot drives only in my desktops - all storage is centralised on an independent NAS meaning no matter what machine/device I am using I can access all the data all the time (without having to have the Desktop turned on).

1x - DVD Drive
1x - 6TB Windows Drive
1x - 6TB OSX Drive
3x - 6TB Data Drive (18TB total)
== 6 SATA Ports, 30TB Total Storage

Want more storage?
Buy USB3 enclosure + power adapter ($15/each at eBay)
Buy 6TB Drive -- install, snap on. Voila! 6TB Storage per USB3 port. <--- use as backups

1 6TB drive is easier on the power supply than 3x 2TB drives.

I know that macOS supports the ASM1061 controller.

I believe there are Mac drivers available for the old SIL3132 controller on www.siliconimage.com.

1x - DVD Drive
1x - 6TB Windows Drive
1x - 6TB OSX Drive
3x - 6TB Data Drive (18TB total)
== 6 SATA Ports, 30TB Total Storage

Want more storage?
Buy USB3 enclosure + power adapter ($15/each at eBay)
Buy 6TB Drive -- install, snap on. Voila! 6TB Storage per USB3 port. <--- use as backups

1 6TB drive is easier on the power supply than 3x 2TB drives.

Yes lots of storage!!!

Last edited:
I have tested this in my Haswell Hack and it works, only tried with a spinning drive storing music and not tested for speed etc. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182093532479?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Hope that helps, oh auto detected in ElCapitain.

Hey Alex, the card worked for the two sata ports but the two Esata on the back don't seem to show up, i tried the 3rd party driver for Esata in multibeast.... Or does anyone know of a card that works with at least four sata ports. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back