Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, it's my fist post here. I've been surfing this forum for quite a time, great stuff and community.

There is the background for thread: I love current Mac Pro, I think its brilliant but because Apple and Intel charge insane amount of money for RAM and CPU I really can not justify the price at this point. Thus, I'm on the edge of deciding to build a 2011 "Hack Pro".

Here is the parts for the bold I was thinking of getting of.

Screen_Shot_2014_03_06_at_11_54_53_AM.png

Let me explain details:
- CPU and Motherboard are relatively budget chooses (I could go with ASUS' dual LGA board and single Xeon for this time too).
- As I now Dual 7970s can work simultaneously in OS X apps and are recognized as Dual D700s in Luxmark (FCPX, Aperture, etc).
- I consider Overclocking and gaming as a bonus.

What do you think? Are there hidden mines I can't see due to lack of experience?

And most important questions is: How future proof am I with Hackintosh? If this computer will work 5 years on latest software I'll be happy.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2014_03_06_at_11_54_53_AM.png
    Screen_Shot_2014_03_06_at_11_54_53_AM.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 177
You may want to also move up to the Fractal Design Define XL.
That Asus mobo is technically CEB form factor (12 X 10.5 inch) so I'd go with a
case that is at least E-ATX sized. Leaves more room for the cable routing.
I'd also check with Fractal to make sure the standoffs will line up properly
in their case with that Asus board.

Whoa, that's great advice. I thought all non-Xeon chips would work. Thanks!

Xeon is not supported by this motherboard. I'll have to swap it out.

i'm using a ssdt that seems to work very well. but is still not perfect 100%. a solution will be found obviously. it's up to you. if you want a perfect machine, stay away from the 4930k.
it seems that the 4960x has not the issue

don't go with the 4930k, look here: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues/3
there is no way to have a full working power management.
go with the xeon e5 1650 v2 (the same that apple uses). it costs the same more or less

In that link Alphanull was using 13C53 which was not the final public release of 10.9.2 (13C64)
Do you think that makes any difference in whether PM will work for the 4930K ? Hard to
believe it would work for other IVY-E chips and not that one.

alphanull is using the 13c64, trust me. it could work with the 4960x because it is seen as a ivy bridge-ep cpu by the kernel.
because the 4960x is a "ep" (not "e" as the 4930k)version with something cut off by a laser

alphanull is using the 13c64, trust me. it could work with the 4960x because it is seen as a ivy bridge-ep cpu by the kernel.
because the 4960x is a "ep" (not "e" as the 4930k)version with something cut off by a laser

Guess you'd need to be an engineer who works at Intel to fully understand all this. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back