Contribute
Register

Single-slot Entry Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Checking out low-profile single-slot AMD graphics cards, I discovered the AMD Radeon RX6400, and wonder if it is compatible with macOS (and if so, with which versions of the Mac OS).

Last edited:
It is Navi 24 XL, not supported by macOS which works with some Navi 21 & 23 ones. Its counterpart is Radeon Pro W6400 but I doubt if Mac Pro will support it.

By the way the performance is just slightly better than M1 Pro.

Last edited:
By the way the performance is just slightly better than M1 Pro.
I would think the Apple M1 Pro chip would beat this card easily. Anyway, I'm stuck with two existing Hackintosh builds in 1) an Apex MI-008 case and 2) a Rosewill RS-MI-01 case. Both are very small Mini-ITX cases, essentially identical except for front panels, that can only take single-slot, single-width graphics cards. Presently the Apex contains a Gigabyte Nvidia GT1030, which fits nicely but is kinda weak on performance. The Rosewill had had its case "lid" cut out to make width room for an AMD Radeon RX 560's fan/heatsink, which works okay, but I was looking for a higher-performance card that would fit. Guess I'm stuck with what I have for "Mini-ITX 1 and 2" below.
Thanks for your response!

Regarding your Budget, check this List. I think the only option will be the AMD Radeon Pro W5500 or W6600.

Regarding your Budget, check this List. I think the only option will be the AMD Radeon Pro W5500 or W6600.
Thank you for your reply. I am under the impression that there is no Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6) built-in driver for AMD Radeon graphics cards which are based on the "RDNA" architecture, either RDNA1 or RDNA2. Probably your suggestion would work under Windows. If I am wrong, please let me know.

The W5500 should work starting at 10.15.1 and W6600 from 12.1 (drivers for RX 6600 (XT) are present).

The W5500 should work starting at 10.15.1 and W6600 from 12.1 (drivers for RX 6600 (XT) are present).
Thanks again for your responses. I need to retain support on one of my computers for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, specifically Cyan games. I have that now on all of my computers, but upgrading MacOS from Mojave to anything later would prevent playing Myst !V, Myst V, and URU Complete Chronicles on the upgraded computers.The upgrade would also require changing the file system from HFS+ to APFS, and my Samsung 970 Pro M.2 Nvme SSDs have a TRIM problem on APFS. So I guess I'm stuck where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back