Contribute
Register

Since updating to El Capitan handoff has stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me iMessage, FaceTime and Airdrop all work but Handoff/Continuity do not.. And they did under Yosemite :/

It's quite baffling..

I have the Asus Z97 Pro and have been having random boot problems due to USB as of the last few days (and didn't have them immediately after installing El Capitan though I HAVE updated my BIOS so it could have exacerbated the problem).

I'm not using a DSDT... Should I be?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michal

For me iMessage, FaceTime and Airdrop all work but Handoff/Continuity do not.. And they did under Yosemite :/

It's quite baffling..

I have the Asus Z97 Pro and have been having random boot problems due to USB as of the last few days (and didn't have them immediately after installing El Capitan though I HAVE updated my BIOS so it could have exacerbated the problem).

I'm not using a DSDT... Should I be?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michal

check out #8, if you've done it without any problem, sign off your apple id from your iOS devices,
then re-sign in again, your iOS device would re-generate an encrypted key used for handoff.

I just tried it and it had no effect on Handoff/Continuity. Hopefully it hasn't broken anything that was previously working.

One thing that I noticed is that I NEVER get an error (or any sort of acknowledgement) when inputting serials into the Apple website.

I tried 57 different serials (yes, I do go overboard sometimes).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards,
Michal

Same here, Michal. In fact, the Continuity Activation Tool revealed the same information - Continuity already activated, no steps needed.

Very strange indeed.

I already tried signing off and back in on the iPhone and it had no effect.

Here's what the Continuity Activation Tool reports:

--- Hardware/OS checks ---
Verifying Continuity status... OK. OS X reports Continuity as active
Verifying Mac model reference... OK. Known compatible Mac Model detected: iMac14,2
Verifying Mac board-id... OK. Long board id detected: Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61
Verifying OS X version... Warning: This version of Mac OS X (10.11) is Experimental! Only partially tested on El Capitan
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware... OK. A Broadcom AirPort card is active, and is using the Continuity compatible Brcm4360 kext
Verifying AWDL status... OK. An AWDL interface is up, Wi-Fi is ready for Continuity
Verifying Bluetooth hardware... OK. The internal Bluetooth card is active
Verifying Bluetooth version... OK. Bluetooth 4.0 detected
Verifying Bluetooth features... OK. Bluetooth features are Continuity compliant
Verifying Bluetooth firmware... OK. Bluetooth firmware version: v112 c9036
Verifying Login Item... OK. Login item for Auto Continuity Check is not set.

--- Modifications check ---
Verifying OS kext protection... OK. Kext developer mode is not active. This tool can fix this.
Verifying SIP... Ok. System Integrity Protection is already disabled
Verifying ContinuitySupport... Print: Entry, ":Mac-HIDDENUID:ContinuitySupport", Does Not Exist
NOT OK. Unknown state. Your Mac might not be compatible.
Verifying kexts readability... OK. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth kexts were found and could be read
Verifying Wi-Fi whitelist status... OK. Your board-id is not yet whitelisted. This tool can fix this.
Verifying old Wi-Fi kext presence... OK. Legacy Brcm4331 Wi-Fi driver is present. This tool can fix this.
Verifying legacy Wi-Fi card patch... OK. The legacy Wi-Fi patch is not present. This tool can fix this.
--- Modifications check ---

Hid the UID there because I don't know if it's important to keep it private or not. Either way.. It's "missing" whatever that means and running the tool again to activate it doesn't fix that.

try to generate new SMBios in config.plist with this http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
and
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/

i think the key is Do Not use existed real mac serial No, rom, mbl. on 10.10 OS X, i used a cloned real mac infos as SMbios, it worked good except having a little bit itchy (unable to answer FaceTime incoming call). but after upgraded to 10.11, my handoff did not work at all either. so i decided to make a new smbios. all problems were gone once i done it. the iCloud system (imessage/facetime/handoff) works as real mac. i even can answer incoming call :)

This did the trick!! Was reluctant to try it since I didn't want to have to call Apple to reactivate iMessage, but everything worked and didn't have to call.

For the missing weather and stock widget issue, I just clean installed Yosemite and then updated to El Cap and it kept the widgets :)

I had the same issue with Handoff/Continuity. I tried several patches, kexts, etc. Then I remembered there was a Continuity-Activation-Tool that I downloaded and used. Worked after the first reboot.

This tool makes the necessary changes to enable OS X 10.10 and 10.11 Continuity features on compatible hardware. Continuity features activated by this tool include Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and New Airdrop.
OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) does not support dongles yet.

## News
2015-10-09 : **Version 2.1.3** Merged with the beta version. Should now work on 10.10 - 10.11

2015-08-13 : **New active lead** : I (sysfloat) will now be the main contributer and manager of the project, since dokterdok is not able to support this project anymore. He supported me with a lot of stuff and his research into enabling Continuity with dongles. I will contact some old beta testers and will do my best to get the dongles working on El Capitan and merge my fork with the beta branch.

Dec. 14 2014 : **Continuity Activation Tool 2.0 released** : Adds compatibility with Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongles, allowing many Macs from 2008 and later to easily upgrade to Continuity. See the chart below to verify available upgrade options.

**[Download link](https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/archive/master.zip)**

Question for you - did the Continuity Activation tool come back with any information? Because when I ran it it said that Continuity was already active (no updates or changes made).

It did after I was trying to fix other things and it stopped working, so I ran it again and it told me already activated. I also logged out of icloud on both my phone and Mac troubleshooting and eventually it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back