Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU
Core i7 6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hi there!

Building a dual-boot Mac/PC Hackintosh. Windows side for gaming, Mac side for video editing in FCPX.

For graphics cards, multiple questions:

1. Will dual AMD 5570s really outperform a GTX 980ti in FCPX due to open CL compatibility? If so, by what margin? Enough to really notice?
2. Will the 980ti's FCPX performance suffer mostly just in export render times, or also in editing "snappiness"? I'm not super concerned about export times, (I don't mind taking a 10 minute break) mostly just want the editing to be really snappy and not laggy.
3. Can I buy a 980ti and two 5770s and install them in one Hackintosh? Then run my 5770s on the Mac side for video editing with drivers for the 980ti not even installed, then change inputs on my monitor and run the 980ti in Windows for gaming? Will having nVidia and AMD cards plugged into the same computer cause a meltdown on either the Mac or Windows side?
4. I'm pretty sure having 3 graphics cards installed will bring all of my cards down to PCIe Gen 3 x4 instead of x8 or x16. Will there be any bottlenecking on my 980ti on the Windows side running at Gen 3 x4?

Other components in this build:
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
i7 6700K
EVGA Supernova 850G2 - is this enough power for a 980ti and two 5770s?
Samsung 850 Evo SSDs

Thanks for all the help.
Lucas

Last edited:
Hi there!

Building a dual-boot Mac/PC Hackintosh. Windows side for gaming, Mac side for video editing in FCPX.

For graphics cards, multiple questions:

1. Will dual AMD 5570s really outperform a GTX 980ti in FCPX due to open CL compatibility? If so, by what margin? Enough to really notice?
2. Will the 980ti's FCPX performance suffer mostly just in export render times, or also in editing "snappiness"? I'm not super concerned about export times, (I don't mind taking a 10 minute break) mostly just want the editing to be really snappy and not laggy.
3. Can I buy a 980ti and two 5770s and install them in one Hackintosh? Then run my 5770s on the Mac side for video editing with drivers for the 980ti not even installed, then change inputs on my monitor and run the 980ti in Windows for gaming? Will having nVidia and AMD cards plugged into the same computer cause a meltdown on either the Mac or Windows side?
4. I'm pretty sure having 3 graphics cards installed will bring all of my cards down to PCIe Gen 3 x4 instead of x8 or x16. Will there be any bottlenecking on my 980ti on the Windows side running at Gen 3 x4?

Other components in this build:
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
i7 6700K
EVGA Supernova 850G2 - is this enough power for a 980ti and two 5770s?
Samsung 850 Evo SSDs

Thanks for all the help.
Lucas

I would think it would run the cards just as seperate display adapters, as far as video editing i believe it will use all 3 cards to do the work load but favor the AMD cards over the nividia one, i would enable the nividia card it won't lesson performance.

Then why buy a 980ti when there's the 10 series?
interested too, currently have a 960 and as 10 series are not supported on osx,
having both cards could do the trick, if it's even a possibility.

One problem you may run into is the Skylake CPU we tested AMD RX 480s in Sierra and found that with the Skylake chips dual cards didn't work, it resulted in black screen, but my Haswell Pentium worked with dual cards. A few people tried it and the Skylake was not able to run with 2 amd cards. Now however, one factor that has changed since then is the Whatevergreenkext and or radeon reinitiate functions. We had to use integrated graphics to get the RX 480s to work without black screen.

We did find that if we disabled IGPU or integrated graphics we could use an Nvidia card to act as a IGPU or helper card to get the AMD card to work. Oneuser had a 1070 and an RX 480 and it worked great in windows with the 1070 and the RX in slot 2 worked because the 1070 acted only as a helper card like IGPU. It may work for you at least a 980ti and one AMD card this would give you 8 PCI lanes each but the 3 card setup may not work. If you try it place the Nvidia card in slot one and the AMD cards in slot 2,3.

[...] We did find that if we disabled IGPU or integrated graphics we could use an Nvidia card to act as a IGPU or helper card to get the AMD card to work. Oneuser had a 1070 and an RX 480 and it worked great in windows with the 1070 and the RX in slot 2 worked because the 1070 acted only as a helper card like IGPU. It may work for you at least a 980ti and one AMD card this would give you 8 PCI lanes each but the 3 card setup may not work. If you try it place the Nvidia card in slot one and the AMD cards in slot 2,3.

How did you or the person you took that from manage this? I'am also trying to boot NVIDIA and AMD cards, how can I set the NVIDIA card to be only a "helper card"?

We did this in Sierra, I did it with Nvidia GT210 and RX 480. Disable IGPU Nvidia card in slot 1 and RX in slot 2.

Update it still works in High Sierra. You will lose PCI Lane width my GT210 has 8 lanes and the RX 460 has 4 compared to 16.

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.11.32 AM.png

Last edited:
I have an RX 280 3gb card and access to an older Quattro 600. I primarily edit in FCPX but I also use After Effects for titles and promotional videos. I put the Quattro in the second slot and could never get it to work. Also, so as not to get the black screen after partial boot screen I have to turn of the ATI inject. After I do that all works beautifully. So you are suggesting that I put the Quattro in slot 1 and the 280 in slot 2?

Running High Sierra
GB Z97X-Gaming 7
i7-4790K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back