Contribute
Register

Simplest Mac OS X Installation Guide

It is way more complicated now, something like :

1. Purchase Snow Leopard & Lion
2. Create Clover USB for Snow Leopard (on windows or linux)
2. Boot Snow Leopard DVD
3. Install Snow Leopard
4. Create bootable Lion USB
5. Install Lion
6. Boot Lion
7. Download Sierra
8. Create UniBeast USB
9. Install Sierra

It's a damn shame the Snow Leopard route isn't this straightforward anymore. But we can't really blame Apple, DVDs and CDs are becoming obsolete.

It is way more complicated now, something like :

1. Purchase Snow Leopard & Lion
2. Create Clover USB for Snow Leopard (on windows or linux)
2. Boot Snow Leopard DVD
3. Install Snow Leopard
4. Create bootable Lion USB
5. Install Lion
6. Boot Lion
7. Download Sierra
8. Create UniBeast USB
9. Install Sierra

Wouldn't it be possible to install Snow Leopard, update to El Capitan(which supports updating from Snow Leopard) and then update to Sierra?

Wouldn't it be possible to install Snow Leopard, update to El Capitan(which supports updating from Snow Leopard) and then update to Sierra?
It depends on your hardware - New stuff won't run on old stuff.

It depends on your hardware - New stuff won't run on old stuff.
Don't worry, my i5 4430 + 8GB DDR3 RAM should be able to run Sierra. It was more of a question if the procedure has to include 2 paid OS X versions, if the 10.6 purchase would allow to update to 10.11, which is free and upgradable to Sierra.

Bit of background:
I recently got my hands on a SuperMicro X9SCL Mobo and Xeon E3 1220 (power supply, case and 500GB) hard drive for cheap
I originally intended to put freeNas on it and realized (through both thinking and discussion with a server admin) that
it'd be better to put macOS on it and use ownCloud for the file sharing services I want.
I have found that the board is compatible based on this forum.

I feel like I just haven't used right words to search for this:
Is there a way to install macOs without a CD burner? I have plenty of USB keys floating around and would rather save money to use toward HDDs for server.

Bit of background:
I recently got my hands on a SuperMicro X9SCL Mobo and Xeon E3 1220 (power supply, case and 500GB) hard drive for cheap
I originally intended to put freeNas on it and realized (through both thinking and discussion with a server admin) that
it'd be better to put macOS on it and use ownCloud for the file sharing services I want.

Is there a way to install macOs without a CD burner? I have plenty of USB keys floating around and would rather save money to use toward HDDs for server.

You need to use a regular sata optical drive and use a cd for iBoot as it does not always work on a DVD. This installation process does not work with USB. If you have a mac or access to a Mac and the App Store then you can create installation media with OS X Lion onwards using USB.

Bit of background:

You should try Open Media Vault, more easier than Freenas and much more sexy !
It's easy to add little plugins (owncloud and more) and it's even possible to virtualize finger in the noze
Level stability :unbreakable

Hello everyone,

I do have a question. I can download the mac os Mojave from one of my friends MacBook but the question is can I complete the process on a windows machine to create a boot drive?

also, I have been wondering if my part is compatible I do have:
Asus rog strix b250-f gaming
i5-7500
corsair vengeance ddr4 2400
asus strix gtx 1070 oc
Kingston 250gb ssd

thanks.
no, you need a mac or a working hack to create the installer

Hello everyone,

I do have a question. I can download the mac os Mojave from one of my friends MacBook but the question is can I complete the process on a windows machine to create a boot drive?

also, I have been wondering if my part is compatible I do have:
Asus rog strix b250-f gaming
i5-7500
corsair vengeance ddr4 2400
asus strix gtx 1070 oc
Kingston 250gb ssd

thanks.

gtx will not work
use high sierra and this link:

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

this script will install latest nvidia driver
https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update for more info

Hi Guys, I am new to this (i know its old os but i do like a challenge). Anyway followed the simple guide on my Lenovo T420. I bought the retail sl dvd. I used this with iboot (legacy seemed to work best) to install to my system hdd. I installed and ran multibeast and update helper as used, and sandybridge as in the guide but system will not boot from hdd after trying to install update? Apart from this it is working great but I still need the iboot dvd to boot with first. At least I have a Mac to play with but is there not a utility to just make my hdd bootable sl? Am I wasting my time guys? Is there a better version OS to use? Can this run on my laptop Y/N? If not should I buy the Mountain Lion retail DVD? Will this work this work on my system Y/N. Just y or n is all i need guys, thanks.

Back