Contribute
Register

Simple question - EFI boot loader

Status
Not open for further replies.
After install of Mojave, if I copy the USB EFI folder to the hard drive EFI volume, is there any reason that booting would be different / unsuccessful?

Yes that should work, as long as he EFI partition is formatted correctly as per the guides. HOWEVER some of your hardware will not be recognised and you might find that RX580 gives you a blank screen. You probably need to put Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in the EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder to get around this.

Tricky part is getting the kexts in there without being able to see what you are doing. You could alternatively use the "RadeonDeInit = true" command in your config.plist, but again you need to be able to edit it first :crazy:

A way around both problems might be to boot using the Intel iGPU but it probably needs setting-up too.

You will be able to boot ok using Safe Mode ( "-x" boot command) but then your machine will not see any external drives - to put the files on - except Apple formatted ones.

:)

thanks utterdisbelief.

I have a few kexts in EFI/CLover/kexts/Other
Lilu
Whatevergreen
fakesmc
usbinjectall
intelmausiethernet

I had placed them there on the USB drive when I installed Mojave. So, I video card worked (except for the displayport).

I have copied the folder to the hard drive and I can boot into Mojave.

The mouse and keyboard seem to lock up periodically, necessitating a hard reboot, I don't know why. Previously, I tried Multibeast for post install and I don't think I had that mouse problem. :problem: Wonder if it had installed some patch?

Anyhow, I want to fix shutdown, so I am going to make some changes and see if it works. Perhaps I should wait until everything works the way I want before installing the kexts to the library/extensions folder and removing them from Clover?

thanks utterdisbelief.

I have a few kexts in EFI/CLover/kexts/Other
Lilu
Whatevergreen
fakesmc
usbinjectall
intelmausiethernet

I had placed them there on the USB drive when I installed Mojave. So, I video card worked (except for the displayport).

I have copied the folder to the hard drive and I can boot into Mojave.

The mouse and keyboard seem to lock up periodically, necessitating a hard reboot, I don't know why. Previously, I tried Multibeast for post install and I don't think I had that mouse problem. :problem: Wonder if it had installed some patch?

Anyhow, I want to fix shutdown, so I am going to make some changes and see if it works. Perhaps I should wait until everything works the way I want before installing the kexts to the library/extensions folder and removing them from Clover?

Ah, glad it's all working. :thumbup:

There are some differences of opinion on where you should put kexts. The "Official" line is that any third-party kexts should go in Library/Extensions. Doing this means they get cached properly by the system. This is why Apple created the new location, previously everything went in System/Library/Extensions.

However, I have Lilu and its plug-ins in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other along with any other Fake. kexts and all seems stable. The disadvantage is the kexts are basically injected by Clover at boot and not visible as such to the OS, therefore they don't get cached.

All that said, the difference while testing is that kexts put in L/E need the system cache rebuilding when they are installed and removed. Those in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, don't because they never see one.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back