5. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi
Today I'm going to talk about my last mod on a PowerMac G5.
My target was to change less possible the magnifique G5 case.
I get the case from a friend of mine: he wanted to trash it, because it doesn't work anymore.
So I fitted the "new" PSU inside the original one.
Let's start:
I unmonted all the PowerMac g5 and opened the old PSU(Not working):
IMG_4433.JPG
I realise the real cause of working problem: dust!
IMG_4436.JPG
After this I unmonted all and clean the steel. I unmonted the "new" PSU(recycled a normal PSU to start this hackintosh mod) and I tried to fit it in the steel G5 PSU case.
IMG_4437.JPG
I wasn't able to use original AC ingress because this PowerMac have american cable ingress, but I have only European cable, so I workaround in this way:
IMG_4440.JPG
I've been using the original HD fan support to insert two original PSU fans in their original base.
The fans support are these:
IMG_4633.JPG IMG_4634.JPG
I used these support because are less noising and I used original fans because there isn't any 0dB little fan on amazon.

I've lost some work in progress photos, so I've found a similar thread about creating the mobo screw support
(https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-simple-g5-case-mod.81930/)
I've removed the original screw support with tongs and the I used Bostik "Metallo Liquido" glue (Liquid metal, its a glue that became as hard as steel) to reattack them in the correct location.
I put the PSU in the original location and used the original ways to get cable.
IMG_4639.JPG
Behind i use the angle grinder to create a rectangular hole to fit the external cable.
IMG_4637.JPG
I tried to use original 92mm fans, but also at 5V they make too much noise.
So I bought 2x92mm F9 arctic fans and fit them in original support.
IMG_4631.JPG IMG_4630.JPG IMG_4629.JPG
I also removed the plastic shoulder because I noticed that the support isn't symmetrical and I could get about 3mm placing it upside down (The audio output is very high and touch the fans support).

Then I searched a lot in the web to get this horrible front panel pinout.... And I get USB2, Power Led and Power Button to work without problems.
IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4641.JPG
With 3(+2PSU's) fans and all this place free its very quiet and cool.
Outside it's identical to a PowerMac G5.

Attachments

• IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 408
  • IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_4545.JPG
    IMG_4545.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 361
  • IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 374
  • IMG_4638.JPG
    IMG_4638.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 344
Wondering how you can keep the original HD fan support. I need cut them off. I would never know how to wire the front I/O.

Nice mod.:clap:

Wondering how you can keep the original HD fan support. I need cut them off. I would never know how to wire the front I/O.

Nice mod.:clap:
I've googled so much to find some diagrams about the frontal I/O... At the end I used a DC tester to create a diagrams.... So starting by this:
200px-Usb-pinout.png

I wired the usb port....
And about the starting button i tried several time.... It has ground in common with led....
I don't think the HD fan could be used, because I have MB in that space...
But I've founded(and if you need it I'll found it again) all G5's fans diagrams(Pinout).....
This was an American(US) edition about PowerMacG5....
I've also mooded an EU edition.... They are slight different.... Front I/O panel firts of all(Italian one have a cable, american's have pins to solder)
Stefano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back