Contribute
Register

Simple NVIDIA 4xx Install Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried entering busratio=29 at the Chameleon screen as a possible fix for the freezing problem?

The reason I ask is that I built a Sandy Bridge system, and one of the know problems with Mac OS X is that you need to enter bus ratio=29 at the Chameleon screen when you boot the system. If you don't, it is possible that the screen will freeze once OS X is up and running.

In most instances, the freeze is temporary, but I can say from my experience that often it will freeze and the only fix is to reboot.

The problem has something to do with the way the OS X handles the CPU multiplier relative to other system variables.

Other threads can explain the details behind the reason to use the value 29. It is said in those threads that other values (lower or higher) somehow aren't handled properly by the OS. 29 seems the bee the golden value. My Sandy Bridge system is rock solid when I use busratio=29.

I have an EVGA GTS 450 (1 GB), and haven't seen any freezes so far on my Sandy Bridge system. Freezes were common with this card on my previous i7 950/GA-X58A-UD3R system.

freedumb2000 said:
mds2004 said:
I have a GT 240 running perfectly in my computer but am expecting a GTX470 tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do or should it be plug and play?

REading this http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/01/mac-os-x-1066-update.html and crossing your fingers that it doesn't freeze on you is prolly all you can do ;)

Just installed it and it read the card right away fine. I then installed Tony's Fermi drivers and all is running properly. Im going to leave the computer on and hope it doesn't freeze by time i get back then. Or does it usually freeze under stress?

mds2004 said:
freedumb2000 said:
mds2004 said:
I have a GT 240 running perfectly in my computer but am expecting a GTX470 tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do or should it be plug and play?

REading this http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/01/mac-os-x-1066-update.html and crossing your fingers that it doesn't freeze on you is prolly all you can do ;)

Just installed it and it read the card right away fine. I then installed Tony's Fermi drivers and all is running properly. Im going to leave the computer on and hope it doesn't freeze by time i get back then. Or does it usually freeze under stress?

Reading through the thread and form my own experience, neither. It does not really seem to lock up under stress )in fact one of the work arounds is to keep something graphic intensive running at all times), nor under idle. It seems to mainly lock up when under medium load, like browsing the web, using office etc.

I still haven't experienced any lockups when using these drivers on a GTX 460M, although the performance (visuals don't seem as smooth as they should) is too great.

OK well Im seeing these freezing issues. Once I open up starcraft it freezes. Right now I am on Tonys drivers. Anything else I can try besides trying Nvidia's?

karacho said:
m3tm4n said:
karacho said:
Try to boot with -x PCIRoot=1 at the Chameleon bootscreen
Thx, but didn't help. Still got the screen to shut down my computer :(
Then boot with iBoot and select your OSX HD, if this not worked boot with iBoot again, select your HD again and type -x PCIRoot=1

Following procedure worked for me
1. Installed SL 10.6.3/10.6.4 (working both)
2. while Installing uncheck GraphicEnabler and/or any driver for VGA/Graphic
3. Check the Bootloader (I've used AsereBLN)
4. Check Ethernet driver u need
5. wait until Installation is finished, restart, changed the bootsource from DVD to HD in Bios, restart again. OSX started, then I've used Multibeast + Combo Update 10.6.6.
6. Restart again
7. Installed tonymacs nVidia Driver and restart again
8. fully working SL 10.6.6.

Had no freezes right now (after 2 hours now.)

For information: I dont play games or something, only developing apps on osx.

Thanks for this site and your work!
Kind regards and many thanks from Germany!

m3tm4n said:
5. wait until Installation is finished, restart, changed the bootsource from DVD to HD in Bios, restart again. OSX started, then I've used Multibeast + Combo Update 10.6.6.
6. Restart again

Which boot cd you'd used? Points 2, 3 and 4 you described above isn't part wether of iBoot nor in Multibeast nor on OSX Retail DVD during Installationprocess.

karacho said:
m3tm4n said:
6. Restart again

Which boot cd you'd used? Points 2, 3 and 4 you described above isn't part wether of iBoot nor in Multibeast nor on OSX Retail DVD during Installationprocess.
Ah sorry.
Didn't used iBoot. Didnt worked for me. Dont know why.
I've just booted SL from DVD and installed it.
I have to say, that my system allready worked with SL 10.5.8 (not supported on this board) until I changed my graphiccard from GTX260 to GTX460.
To run OSX I had to install a special Firmware for my Mainboard.
If you want the Site where I found the firmware write me an email.

m3tm4n said:
Ah sorry.
Didn't used iBoot. Didnt worked for me. Dont know why.
I've just booted SL from DVD and installed it.
I have to say, that my system allready worked with SL 10.5.8 (not supported on this board) until I changed my graphiccard from GTX260 to GTX460.
To run OSX I had to install a special Firmware for my Mainboard.
If you want the Site where I found the firmware write me an email.
You just bootet an SL Retail DVD on your Asus P5QL-Pro without any Boot CD? That's impossible.

If you startup with a distro, it's also not supported on this board and you're in the wrong forum here. Read the Faq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back