Contribute
Register

Silent HTPC Build: Streacom DB4 case, ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac, Core i5-7600, Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU
Intel Core i5-7600
Graphics
Internal HD630
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and will be building my first ever Hackintosh. Since I like a challenge, I'm going to dive straight into Kaby Lake for the internals. Since the new Sierra 10.12.4 beta is already referencing/supporting(???) the new Kaby Lake MacBook Pros (see this article), I'm hoping native support for the KL mobo and CPU will be just around the corner.

Build Purpose
My 2011 MacMini died (don't ask how) and I was using that as my HTPC in the living room. Mainly as the Plex Server and QBTorrent client. I had two 4TB external WD MyBook drives attached via USB for storage. It had a pretty weak CPU and only 4Gigs of ram, so running Sierra was really becoming a pain. Also, the fan of the MacMini would often be extremely noisy when playing HD movies or transcoding movies.

So, for this build, I want to accomplish the following:
  • A small HTPC for my living room that doesn't look like a cheap PC
  • Silent, or near silent
  • No more external USB drives. All storage must fit inside the case.
  • Functions mainly as a Plex Server/client and QBTorrent client, with web browsing.
  • Modern internals with plenty of power and memory to get me through the next 4-5 years.
  • I don't play games at all, so 3D stuff irrelevant to me.
  • Will want to do a dual boot setup to either Linux or Windows 10.
Hardware
Important Outcomes
  • Fully functioning HDMI port with high quality sound (as this goes directly to my TV)
  • Fully functioning Bluetooth 4 (as I use Apple's wireless keyboard and trackpad to control the computer from my sofa)
  • Fast, stable and hassle free...as far as this is possible with Hackintosh ;)
I don't have all my parts yet. Will be picking up the mobo (if already for sale here in Hong Kong), CPU, ram this weekend. Expect to receive the DW1560 earl next week.

I have already received the case and PSU and already have all drives too. Will post some pics below of my progress so far.

I really look forward to this build and getting everything to work. Hope to share my experience/findings and hope to get your kind support and advise.

EDIT 1:
Some initial progress pictures of the build. Put the PSU and drives in. More to come.

IMG_7920.JPG IMG_7921.JPG IMG_7922.JPG IMG_7923.JPG

Last edited:
This is exactly the build I was interested in.
Streacom DB4 + a mini ITX with Thunderbolt 3 for an eGPU.

Do you think you'll be able to test whether Thunderbolt 3 works?

This is exactly the build I was interested in.
Streacom DB4 + a mini ITX with Thunderbolt 3 for an eGPU.

Do you think you'll be able to test whether Thunderbolt 3 works?

I'll be picking up the mobo tomorrow. Figured out that they are already for sale here in Hong Kong.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out with the Thunderbolt port. I'm not sure if it will work OOB or requires kexts.

I was just looking at this case today. I can't wait until you get this built.

IMG_7937.JPG Look at what I just picked up. :headbang:

The build can begin!

OK, the build has been completed successfully.

I've created the Unibeast USB stick, modified the BIOS settings as per instructions...

I now see a black screen with 'j_' in the upper left corner of the screen.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, the build has been completed successfully.

I've created the Unibeast USB stick, modified the BIOS settings as per instructions...

I now see a black screen with 'j_' in the upper left corner of the screen.

What am I doing wrong?

Ignore this. Fixed it already.

I incorrectly formatted the USB stick. After I did that correctly, it now boots successfully... trying to install now.

I'll be picking up the mobo tomorrow. Figured out that they are already for sale here in Hong Kong.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out with the Thunderbolt port. I'm not sure if it will work OOB or requires kexts.

I've seen one build on here where Thunderbolt 3 worked out of the box. Not sure if that's the case for all mother boards.

That's an awesome case! Thanks for sharing this. I'm considering this motherboard for my next upgrade. Have you already replaced the WiFi/BT module?

I've seen one build on here where Thunderbolt 3 worked out of the box. Not sure if that's the case for all mother boards.

Definitely not the case for this motherboard. It's not recognised at all in Apple's System Profiler.

After I get HD630 graphics, sound and BT/Wifi working, I'll be moving on to figuring out how to get the Thunderbolt port to work.

Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back