Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Motherboard
Asus G701V
CPU
i7-6820HK / Skylake-H
Graphics
GTX 1080 / 1920x1080
What I have: 2 Monitors capable of 4K@60Hz which use (mini)DisplayPort.
What I also have: A mac mini which I use mainly for audio productions (no gaming, no video editing, just plain desktop use) and that runs them at 30Hz and seems hopelessly underpowered to do so.

What am I thinking about: Is there a way a hackintosh could solve my problems and supply both monitors with 4K@60Hz *and* be as silent as possible?

I googled and read up on the topic and so far three potential solutions which each seems to have a drawback. Has someone has some thoughts on this or maybe even tried it himself?

1.) Dedicated GPU with Silent/Zero-Fan-Mode
Some graphic cards seem to have a mode, where all fans are powered down. From what I've heard so far is, that the fans are powered down as long as the temperature is below 60°. BUT: How much will delivering 2*4K@60Hz heat a card up? I have found or heard nothing except some "could/should work not sure".

2.) iGPU
There are some motherboards (even in the buyers list here for instance Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5) which provide 2*4K@60Hz via 1 DisplayPort und and 1 Thunderbolt 3 Port and are passively cooled. BUT: I have not found proof that the Thunderbolt 3 Port works flawlessly on a hackintosh. Some seem to have tried it, but I found no proof this really works.

3.) Docking Station
There are some docking stations that claim to deliver 2*4K@60Hz via USB-C (for instance Startech DK30A2DH). That would allow me to build a small, silent hackintosh and use this as a display driver. BUT: I'm highly sceptical that this really works and delivers a fast and smooth picture.

So, has anyone has any experience with this?